Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Guess who just put a rocket into space?
    #8789832 - 08/18/08 09:51 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/18/content_9477419.htm

-- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Mostafa Mohammad-Najjar hailed the launch of the Safir (Messenger) satellite-carrier rocket as a triumph in scientific and technological progress, the English-language Press TV satellite channel said Monday.

"Iranian scientists are always reaching new peaks in scientific and technological progress," Mohammad-Najjar was quoted as saying.

"The successful launch of Safir shows that Iran has access to the ultra-modern technology required to manufacture, launch and track satellites as well as transmit and receive information from them," he said.

An official with Iran's space agency confirmed to Xinhua on Monday that Iran successfully launched a domestic rocket carrying a test satellite late Sunday.

Reza Taghipour, head of Iran's space agency, told Press TV that the Safir launch will pave the way for Iran to send its domestically-built telecommunications satellite, Omid (Hope), into orbit "in the near future."

Safir is Iran's first domestically made satellite carrier, capable of putting lightweight satellites into low earth orbit.

The launch of Safir rocket is aimed to test remote sensing, satellite telemetry, and geographic information system (GIS) technology as well as remote and ground station data processing, Press TV said.

Iran has plans to put a "series of satellites" into space by 2010 to aid natural disaster management programs and improve telecommunications, Taghipour added.

"Sanctions have not isolated us, Instead, we have become more independent," Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who was present at Iran's space center Sunday was quoted by Press TV as saying.

Iran's satellite carrier launch has aroused the West's concerns that Iran is developing long-range ballistic missile technology which can be used to launch nuclear weapons.

White House Spokesman Gordon Johndroe said Sunday that the Iranian development and testing of rockets "is troubling and raises further questions about their intentions."

In February, Iran said it has prepared for the satellite launch by sending a probe into space on the back of a rocket on the mission.

On Friday, Ahmadinejad announced in an interview in the largest Turkish city of Istanbul that Iran would in the near future launch its first domestically made satellite to the space.

Iran, embroiled in a standoff with the West over Tehran's disputed nuclear ambitions, has pursued a space program for several years, according to local media.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Guess who just put a rocket into space? [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #8789852 - 08/18/08 10:06 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Has anybody found verification of Iran's claims?  They didn't release any pictures of the launch, etc.  Of course, the last pictures of a launch that Iran provided was proven to be partially faked.

Regardless, not a very wise play by Iran.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Guess who just put a rocket into space? [Re: Seuss]
    #8789860 - 08/18/08 10:09 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:

Yeah, god forbid a country try to support the development of its economy by making technological advances. :rolleyes:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Re: Guess who just put a rocket into space? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #8789885 - 08/18/08 10:23 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Quote:

Seuss said:

Yeah, god forbid a country try to support the development of its economy by making technological advances. :rolleyes:

Yea especially one that frequently makes threats to wipe a country off the face of the earth.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #8789979 - 08/18/08 10:59 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

> Yeah, god forbid a country try to support the development of its economy by making technological advances. :rolleyes:

If they were open and transparent, then I would agree with you.  Unfortunately, they have a history of clandestine weapons projects.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#8790087 - 08/18/08 11:37 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The_Red_Crayon said:
Yea especially one that frequently makes threats to wipe a country off the face of the earth.

Substantiation? Regardless, a country like Russia actually takes action to very nearly wipe a country off the face of the earth, and yet they've got their satellites up in the air...

Quote:

Seuss said:
If they were open and transparent, then I would agree with you.  Unfortunately, they have a history of clandestine weapons projects.

What kind of history does the United States have with weapon projects? Full disclosure, subjected to peer-review? "Hey China, here's our plans for our latest missle interception projects, care to proof-read for us?" :lol:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

#8790236 - 08/18/08 12:20 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

And their space program is mostly peaceful not to mention 40 years old, Iran launching sattelites is a show of force, its a show of force to Israelis and the west and middle eastern nations, and its proof that they can now deal in the art of intercontinental warfare.

The arabs would pick Israeli jews in a alliance over Iran anyday. They are not up to peaceful agenda's and tea parties.

InvisibleMinstrel
Man of Science
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hogtown
    #8790647 - 08/18/08 01:47 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The_Red_Crayon said:

:rolleyes:  How long must this lie be perpetuated? 

If you can interpret Mad-dinejad's statement about the current Israeli regime needing to vanish from the pages of time as being "wipe the whole country off the face of the earth", then the USA must be interpreted as wanting to wipe any of the 'axis of evil' countries off the face of the earth.  You can't have it both ways.  Regime change = genocide, except when YOU do it?

I will gladly believe you if you can give me a definitive quote by Dinejad saying, unambiguously, 'wipe Israel off the face of the earth'.  Not a translation, but the actual clip.  I have enough Iranian friends who can verify it (all of whom have no love for Dinejad).

--------------------

Edited by Minstrel (08/18/08 02:15 PM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#8790693 - 08/18/08 02:02 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The_Red_Crayon said:
And their space program is mostly peaceful not to mention 40 years old

It wasn't "mostly peaceful" forty years ago; nor was that of the United States.

Quote:

Iran launching sattelites is a show of force, its a show of force to Israelis and the west and middle eastern nations, and its proof that they can now deal in the art of intercontinental warfare.

It is a show of force insomuch that when I walk down the street, it is a demonstration of the fact that I'm capable of walking down the street. :lol:

When you define someone else as a threat to you, obviously you will interpret everything they do within that perspective, even though its altogether possible that the meaning you are assigning to it is not inherent within it.

Quote:

They are not up to peaceful agenda's and tea parties.

Right, because Iran doesn't have an economy and dozens of millions of people who depend on it, and anything they do as a country is solely within the framework of being an evil country hellbent for war.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinenumonkei
Back! From thedigestive tractof dave theiguana!

Loc: A Tree
    #8790718 - 08/18/08 02:12 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

No country capable of this technological aspiration is "peaceful". A certain level of economic prosperity and achievement is necessary, which is 99% always acomplished by means that few would honestly consider "peaceful".

Hell, the race to the moon was more about US-Russia dicksizing over the Cold War environment than pure scientific ambition.

~Monk

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #8792526 - 08/18/08 09:58 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
they have a history of clandestine weapons projects.

America?
Russia?
China?
Korea?
everyone else?

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Re: Guess who just put a rocket into space? [Re: Minstrel]
    #8792549 - 08/18/08 10:05 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Regardless of what he has or hasnt said, im not going to search for what he said, I dont speak farsi so i dont care about translations.

But I certainly dont think relations between Iran, and its mid-east partners, israel and a great deal of others are peachy because he's a nice guy lost in translation but means well. Go ahead and read through all the articles, theirs dozens and dozens illustrating why he is a complete madman.

http://www.memri.org/bin/latestnews.cgi?ID=SD202508

Quote:

CNNTurk: "[…] Again on the Israeli-Palestinian issue, we know your stand very well. Today I researched a little your statements related to Israel. Two things stand out: To wipe Israel out of the map, and your repeated mention of pushing the Jews into the sea. You have a very harsh attitude. I'm curious to know, how will the peace come to the region? With this harsh attitude, or through some other initiatives? What do you think? What is the solution for the region?"

Ahmadinejad: "Our attitude is not only Ahmadinejad's attitude. It is the region's attitude. It is the attitude of the peoples of the region. You can also ask the Turkish people. The Turkish people will say the same things that I say, the people of Iraq will say the same, the people of Syria will say the same. Also in Saudi Arabia, in Egypt, Jordan, in Lebanon and in Palestine. Because these are the true words [of Allah]. We are speaking words of truth.

"As I said earlier, the Zionist regime is based on lies. There was no regime like this in our region. The people of this regime are brought to this region. And the people of this region have been exported out of there. This is a great cruelty.

"If in Europe some wrong has been done against the Jews it does not mean that Muslim Palestinians or Christians should be made to pay. This was exploitation, a way of putting pressure on the people of this region."

http://www.memri.org/bin/articles.cgi?Page=countries&Area=iran&ID=SP200608

Quote:

An Ideal Place to Build a Nuclear Reactor - The Local Residents Can Serve as a Human Shield

Al-Siyassa also reported that the "National Society for Arabstan State took satellite pictures of the location, which looked perfect for the construction of a secret nuclear reactor..." It added, "The site is more suitable for building a nuclear reactor than Bushehr, which is close to American bases." It noted that a nuclear power plant under construction at Darkhovin is in an open area on the main road between Ahwaz and Abadan - while the "Al-Zarqan nuclear reactor is in the middle of very highly populated areas, making it a very difficult target due to a possibility that the Iranian authorities will use civilians as human shields."

http://www.memri.org/bin/articles.cgi?Page=countries&Area=iran&ID=SP197508

The Secret of Armageddon" – Iranian TV Series Affirms Protocols of Elders of Zion, Promotes Conspiracy Theories, Claims Jews Are Planning "the Genocide of Humanity" and Iranian Jewish, Baha'i Communities are Plotting to Take Over Iran

http://www.memri.org/bin/articles.cgi?Page=countries&Area=iran&ID=IA44708

Ahmadinejad: Israel Is a 'Dead Fish' and a 'Stinking Corpse'; 'The Zionist Regime Will Be Wiped Off'; 'The European Governments Do Not Want the Zionists Living in Europe'

http://www.memri.org/bin/articles.cgi?Page=countries&Area=iran&ID=SP193008

Iranian President Ahmadinejad: Israel's 'Disintegration' Imminent; Tells Bush On Lebanon: You Are Defeated, Bound For Extinction

http://www.memri.org/bin/articles.cgi?Page=countries&Area=iran&ID=SP182808

Kayhan Editor Close To Iran's Supreme Leader Khamenei: 'America and Its European Supporters Must Know... That the Price of Supporting [Israel] Will Cost Them the Property and Lives of Their Citizens... If the Heads of Some Islamic States Prevent the Muslim Peoples from Attacking the Zionists... They Can Be Toppled'

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

#8792559 - 08/18/08 10:09 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Right, because Iran doesn't have an economy and dozens of millions of people who depend on it, and anything they do as a country is solely within the framework of being an evil country hellbent for war.

Some would say the same about the US.

Quote:

It is a show of force insomuch that when I walk down the street, it is a demonstration of the fact that I'm capable of walking down the street. 

When you define someone else as a threat to you, obviously you will interpret everything they do within that perspective, even though its altogether possible that the meaning you are assigning to it is not inherent within it.

It shows that Iran, a country who should never ever ever have nuclear weapons, is looking to join the list of countries who can field ballistic missiles. Its a way to put leverage on their mostly distrustful arab partners. Im sure the Gulf Cooperation Council is running to the US and Israel right now after this one.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#8792619 - 08/18/08 10:30 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The_Red_Crayon said:
It shows that Iran, a country who should never ever ever have nuclear weapons, is looking to join the list of countries who can field ballistic missiles. Its a way to put leverage on their mostly distrustful arab partners. Im sure the Gulf Cooperation Council is running to the US and Israel right now after this one.

No country "should" have nuclear weapons. :smirk: I think the real issue here is that powerful countries fear other countries becoming powerful. Perhaps if the world would drop its moronic attitude of attempting to isolate and punish countries, instead of meeting them on common ground and create symbiotic relationships that are mutually beneficial, such as trade, then no one would be so quick to fuck with their neighbors in a negative way, since everyone would be interdependent and they would more quickly realize how much they were only fucking themselves over as well.

If anything, other countries should be making deals to help them out in exchange for other things....

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#8792646 - 08/18/08 10:35 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Excellent points, fireworks. :thumbup:

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

InvisibleMinstrel
Man of Science
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hogtown
    #8792724 - 08/18/08 10:49 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

If the basis of who 'aught' to have nuclear weapons is by non-aggression and open-ness to the world, then couldn't one argue that Israel is just as much a threat. if not more with nuclear arms capability?

Iran hasn't launched an offensive against anyone in living memory, whereas Israel decimated Lebanon just more than a year ago.  As far as I know, Israel doesn't even officially acknowledge their weapons program (though thanks to that unfortunate Vanunu chap, it's no secret).  Naturally, it's a matter of national defense, and any country would want that to be classified knowledge.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #8794130 - 08/19/08 06:23 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

> What kind of history does the United States have with weapon projects?

So you agree that Iran is trying to create nuclear bombs and ICBMs, or are you trying to change the subject?

--------------------

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Guess who just put a rocket into space? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #8794140 - 08/19/08 06:30 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

Seuss said:
they have a history of clandestine weapons projects.

America?
Russia?
China?
Korea?
everyone else?

Your point?  These countries, with the exception of North Korea, have not violated the non-proliferation treaty that they signed.

My point is that Iran wouldn't be suspected of weaponizing dual use technology if they were open and transparent, following the letter of the treaties that they have signed.  Instead, they spent twenty years secretly developing nuclear bomb technology.  Only when it was discovered do they change their tune and claim that everything they do is for civilian use.

Even if the list of countries you provided were absolutely wrong in everything they have done, it would not excuse Iran for the actions that Iran is taking.  Two wrongs do not make a right (and you have not convinced me of any 'wrongs' with respect to violation of proliferation treaties for the countries listed, other than NK.)

--------------------

Offlinetomnl
Beginner
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the shroom
    #8794171 - 08/19/08 06:51 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

"So you agree that Iran is trying to create nuclear bombs and ICBMs, or are you trying to change the subject?"

what is there to agree about, since no-one seems to really know. What i do know is that the US government sure wants us to believe they are making them, and that makes me already believe that the iranians dont.

--------------------
Been away so long I hardly knew the place
Gee, it's good to be back home
Leave it till tomorrow to unpack my case
Honey disconnect the phone
I'm back in the USSA
You don't know how lucky you are, boy
Back in the US
Back in the US
Back in the USSA

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Guess who just put a rocket into space? [Re: tomnl]
    #8794188 - 08/19/08 06:59 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

> what is there to agree about, since no-one seems to really know.

Exactly!  It isn't that hard to prove that you, as a country, are not creating weapons of mass destruction.

Iraq played the guessing game and see where it got them?  The same thing is going to happen to Iran, for the same reasons.  Absolutely stupid.  If they aren't making anything, then open up to the world, as promised, and prove it.  It isn't difficult.  Nobody needs to go to war or die.  Instead, they want to play some stupid @#$#ing game that will eventually, and needlessly, end with loss of life.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion