Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleblewmeanie
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
"A new attack on birth control"
    #8789743 - 08/18/08 08:42 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Source: link

Quote:

WITH JUST a few months left in office, President Bush is still doing the bidding of social conservatives who oppose women's reproductive freedoms. Under the guise of rules to protect antiabortion nurses and doctors from discrimination in hiring, a proposed new regulation would expand the definition of abortion to include any form of contraception that can work by stopping implantation of a fertilized egg in the uterus. This can include common birth-control pills, emergency contraception, and the intra-uterine device, or IUD. Doctors who refuse to perform abortions for reasons of personal conscience already are protected by law.

The potential impact of this new rule on the more than 500,000 hospitals, family planning clinics, and medical offices that receive any form of federal funding could be dramatic. The rule could also undercut many state laws - including one in Massachusetts requiring hospitals to provide emergency contraception for rape victims - and laws requiring prescription drug insurance plans to include contraceptives. Massachusetts passed such a law in 2002.

The draft proposed rule highlights the fact that many antiabortion groups also oppose one good method of preventing the unplanned pregnancies that lead to abortions - birth control. At some point in their lives, 98 percent of US women use birth control.

The proposed rule, while claiming to protect the rights of nurses and doctors, would interfere with patients' rights. A woman seeking treatment could be denied birth control and not even be aware that the service was available - only denied to her because of the unexpressed personal beliefs of the practitioner.

Last November, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists said gynecologists must provide "accurate and unbiased information" to patients and "have the duty to refer patients in a timely manner to other providers" if the doctors do not want to perform an abortion or prescribe birth control. The US secretary of health and human services, Michael Leavitt, said he thought this statement went too far in forcing doctors to choose between their beliefs and the prospect of professional sanctions.

The administration does not need approval of Congress to put this rule into effect. But about 100 members of the House, including all representatives from this state except Stephen Lynch of South Boston, have signed a letter protesting it. In the Senate, Patty Murray of Washington and Hillary Clinton of New York are leading the opposition. The administration should take heed and drop its ideological attack on contraception.

This just seems crazy to me.:crankey:

http://pol.moveon.org/contraception/?rc=fb.cnota

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleblewmeanie
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: "A new attack on birth control" [Re: blewmeanie]
    #8789748 - 08/18/08 08:46 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

Offlineyeahthatguy
Stranger
Male

Loc: The Dirty
    #8789810 - 08/18/08 09:37 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Hes running out of time, nothing is crazy anymore. Ive been wondering what kind of crazy shit would happen when he finally realized that it doesnt matter what the people think, hes out of a job in a few months.

--------------------
The universe is a strange and wondrous place. The truth is quite odd enough to need no help from pseudoscientific charlatans. -Richard Dawkins

yeahthatguy@mac.hush.com

OfflineCannabischarlie
Yarry's Apprentice
 User Gallery

#8791570 - 08/18/08 05:32 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

sounds dumb to me, not wanting abortion but leading to more unwanted pregnancies is just silly, and harmful to society

--------------------
This section of the signature line has been intentionally left blank.

we could all use a little more sunshine.

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: "A new attack on birth control" [Re: Cannabischarlie]
    #8791624 - 08/18/08 05:45 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

It's an anti-job discrimination rule.  It is clearly unfair to refuse to hire people in health positions who believe that abortion is wrong (which group does not include myself).

As an aside, I have noticed that a lot of political threads have appeared lately in this wimpy PC bastion of liberal groupthink known as "The Pub".  Perhaps there is a lack of testicular fortitude preventing Pubbers from taking their political thoughts to a rigorous forum, such as, well, "Politics", where there might actually be some challenge and where they might be required to back their shit up.  Just an observation.  You Pubbers don't have to get your panties all twisted.

--------------------

Offlinenumonkei
Back! From thedigestive tractof dave theiguana!

Loc: A Tree
Re: "A new attack on birth control" [Re: zappaisgod]
    #8791649 - 08/18/08 05:51 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Aside from the fact that you protect the unborn and non-sentient, then wallow in joy over killing the retarded 15 year old who ran his dad over when learning to drive.

I forget who the quote is, but scratching your nose destroys some 50x more biological potential then a blastocyst, and about 20x more biological potential than a conceived ovum within 72 hours of conceiving.

So, if you scratch your nose, you deserve the death penalty. This is why this country needs to stop putting bat-shit crazy, loony-ass religious jesters in public office. If anything is going to destroy the USA or reduce it's significance, it's gonna be the public selling themselves out to business and politics for abstract and useless religious and political reasons. :rolleyes:

~Monk

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit! Flag
    #8791652 - 08/18/08 05:52 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

No, no, no. This clearly belongs in Science and Technology.

--------------------

Offlinenumonkei

#8791664 - 08/18/08 05:55 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Or News Service, or Political Discussion.

This one fits in a few places.

Intent for the discussion is relative. If the conversation is meant to be based on the science, it should be S&T. If the conversation is meant to be seriously political, it should be Political Discussion. If it's meant to be about implications for women, the Physical and Well-being. If it's being posted for simply notification reasons, News (despite the lack of drug value, it still involves legal restraint of personal rights, which is relevant to illicit drug users).

Maybe if someone posts a mushroom growing tek, or an offer requesting prints, then it's wrong. But the OP gave no criteria for discussion; which is necessary for PD. Maybe the OP just wanted to share there simple feeling and the story without going into detail or serious discussion.

Don't get so hostile over it. It's applicable in a few places, with only having to change a few words after the article.

Quote:

This just seems crazy to me :cranky:

Seems quite appropriate for light hearted discussion, eh?
Until a later poster takes it out of context, (not meant to imply any above posters, just those trends which happen occasionally in posts.)

~Monk

Edited by numonkei (08/18/08 06:04 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: "A new attack on birth control" [Re: numonkei]
    #8791694 - 08/18/08 06:02 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

numonkei said:
Aside from the fact that you protect the unborn and non-sentient, then wallow in joy over killing the retarded 15 year old who ran his dad over when learning to drive.

I forget who the quote is, but scratching your nose destroys some 50x more biological potential then a blastocyst, and about 20x more biological potential than a conceived ovum within 72 hours of conceiving.

So, if you scratch your nose, you deserve the death penalty. This is why this country needs to stop putting bat-shit crazy, loony-ass religious jesters in public office. If anything is going to destroy the USA or reduce it's significance, it's gonna be the public selling themselves out to business and politics for abstract and useless religious and political reasons. :rolleyes:

~Monk

At some point you managed to ignore the fact that I said I support abortion rights.  Right up to, even, the age of consent (your state may vary).  I also support the right of people who do not think abortion is a good idea to have a job in health care.  Now take the panties from around your neck and breathe.

--------------------

Offlinenumonkei

#8791710 - 08/18/08 06:06 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

That wasn't meant to be directed at you. I accidentally hit quick reply to yourself rather than the article.

So stop being negative, Nancy!

~Monk

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

Community >> The Pub

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,172 topic views. 8 members, 87 guests and 59 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Coca Leaf Shop
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2018 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.042 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 19 queries.