Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Loc: Construction ahead...
Open the fucking debates!! NOW!!!
    #8789578 - 08/18/08 06:33 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

In 1988, the CPD (commission on presidential debates) seized control of the debates from the League of Women Voters, and it has sponsored every presidential debate since.

The CPD is controlled by the Democratic and Republican parties.

The CPD is funded by corporate interests.

It completely excludes other candidates. (recent figures show a majority want them included in the debates)

The CPD allows the Dem and Rep parties to design the debate formats, choose the questions to be asked, and allows the candidates to know what the questions are ahead of time, allowing them to form canned answers, which ruins the whole point of the debate.

Because the two parties choose the issues to be addressed there is an extreme poverty of important issues addressed in these debates. Example, in the 2000 presidential race, here are some figures on the number of times certain words came up in the debates:

Crime (corporate or white collar) 0
  Prison (s) 0
  WTO 0
  NAFTA 0
  Labor 1
  Free Trade 0
  Gun Rights (or Control) 0
  Prevention (health care) 0
  Drug War 0 
  Death Penalty 9
  Taxes 144
  Social Security 67
  Seniors 64
  Medicare 58
  Drug(s) (prescription) 60

Quote from opendebates.org
Quote:

"If the Republican and Democratic candidates wanted to control the debates, they could simply sponsor the debates themselves. They could hold debates in their own living rooms, exclude all third party challengers, employ dreary formats, and ignore difficult issues. Nobody can stop them from exercising that First Amendment right, and the networks would surely broadcast their debates. The press would cover the debates, and many voters would watch them.

So why in the world do the major party candidates use the CPD?

Because if the Republican and Democratic candidates openly hosted their own debates, not only would they have to pay for them, but they would also be held accountable for them. If uninspiring formats were used, it would be the fault of the major party candidates. If a candidate the American people wanted to see was excluded, it would be the fault of the major party candidates. If important issues were ignored, it would be the fault of the major party candidates. Under the auspices of direct party sponsorship, the public would realize that third-party challengers and difficult questions were excluded for political reasons, and major party candidates would likely pay a price on Election Day.

Such transparency would force the major party candidates to reconcile the benefits of third party exclusion and format manipulation with the desire to appear democratic, which, in of itself, would increase the likelihood of third party participation and challenging formats. Frank Donatelli, debate negotiator for Dole, said, "Believe me, politicians are risk averse, the parties are risk averse. The last thing they're gonna want to do is to alienate a substantial segment of the public by being perceived as the person that kept out a legitimate candidate who could be president." The debate over debates would become a unique voter education tool; we would learn to what extent major party candidates value their personal political ambitions over the democratic process. "

It is time to end this undemocratic, partisan control of how the public gets to hear from the candidates. The CPD deprives voters of an accurate view of the candidates they have to choose from.

The Citizens' Debate Commission has been created to reform our debate format. It is completely non-partisan.

The goals of the Citizens' Debate Commission are as follows:
• Important issues that are currently ignored and/or marginalized will be addressed.
• Candidate manipulation of debate format -- including selection of all questioners -- will end.
• Corporate sponsorship of the presidential debates will end.
• Independent and third party candidates who the American people want to see will be included.
• Democracy and voter education will be the guiding principles of the presidential debates.

Please visit http://www.opendebates.org to learn more about the corruption of what should be one of our most democratic processes - the presidential debates.

Visit this link to sign a petition to open the debates to all candidates http://www.opendebates.org/yourrole/

This is something I care very deeply about and I hope to encourage others to be more concerned with the sorry state of our electoral system. Thanks.

--------------------
The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door.
-Ralph Nader

Edited by Albino_Jesus (08/18/08 03:50 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinenumonkei
Back! From thedigestive tractof dave theiguana!

Loc: A Tree
Re: Open the fucking debates!! NOW!!! [Re: Albino_Jesus]
    #8790773 - 08/18/08 02:23 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the link.

No surprise at the key word count

Quote:

Taxes - 144
Drug (Prescription) - 60

vs.

Quote:

Prevention (health care - 0
Drug War - 0

Ah, the art of misdirection! Thanks for nothing MSM.

~Monk

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Re: Open the fucking debates!! NOW!!! [Re: numonkei]
    #8791115 - 08/18/08 03:50 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Ah, the art of misdirection!

Yes precisely. They are con-artists through and through.

--------------------
The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door.
-Ralph Nader

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #8791185 - 08/18/08 04:06 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

i wish they would open the debates, it would help keep the top two money whores in check!:thumbup:

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Re: Open the fucking debates!! NOW!!! [Re: lonestar2004]
    #8797633 - 08/19/08 08:12 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

MAJORITY want open debates!

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1538

"More than half of likely voters nationwide - 55% - want Republican-turned-Libertarian Bob Barr to participate in presidential debates this fall, while nearly half - 46% - said they think Ralph Nader should be allowed into the on-stage fray, the latest Zogby Interactive polling shows.

Among political independents, 69% said Barr should be at a lectern with Republican John McCain and Democrat Barack Obama, and a majority of Republicans and Democrats agreed. Among Democrats, 52% said they think Barr should participate, while 50% of Republicans agreed"

--------------------
-Ralph Nader

OfflineChemy
Jesus is Lord

Loc: A Church
    #8797658 - 08/19/08 08:17 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The interactive online survey was conducted Aug. 12-14, 2008, and included 3,339 likely voters nationwide. It carries a margin of error of +/- 1.7 percentage points.
www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1538

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous

Get help, help is free and available 24/7/365.

God bless you all and I hope you receive the help you need to turn away from your lives of sin.

Mushrooms and drugs make you gay, you can reverse this homosexual condition with rehab, get help! Stop being gay!

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Re: Open the fucking debates!! NOW!!! [Re: Chemy]
    #8797681 - 08/19/08 08:21 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

that margin of error doesn't negate the 55% who want barr in the debate. Besides, if people knew more about the differences these other candidates represent then even more people would want more candidates included in the debates.

Of course I can't prove that but I do know this from talking to lots of people. Even when they don't support the other candidates, when they learn a little about their platforms they agree that the issues need to be addressed and that it would be helpful if they were included in the debates

--------------------
-Ralph Nader

OfflineChemy
Jesus is Lord

#8797696 - 08/19/08 08:25 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I want Barr in the debate, I was posting the info you left out.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous

God bless you all and I hope you receive the help you need to turn away from your lives of sin.

Mushrooms and drugs make you gay, you can reverse this homosexual condition with rehab, get help! Stop being gay!

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

#8797701 - 08/19/08 08:26 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I left a lot of the article out, that's why I linked it.

It looked like you were somehow trying to say the poll was invalid. sorry

--------------------
-Ralph Nader

OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
    #8797720 - 08/19/08 08:29 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I think its a matter of money, at least that's what his Barr's website seems to indicate.

OfflineChemy
Jesus is Lord

#8797732 - 08/19/08 08:33 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Albino_Jesus said:
I left a lot of the article out, that's why I linked it.

It looked like you were somehow trying to say the poll was invalid. sorry

IMO, the date of poll, number of people polled, are important information for anyone to draw a conclusion from the results:shrug:

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

#8797742 - 08/19/08 08:35 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Evan said:
I think its a matter of money, at least that's what his Barr's website seems to indicate.

No it's a matter of the debate commission being dictatorially controlled exclusively by the democratic and republican parties! read the first post up at the top dude

--------------------
-Ralph Nader

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion