Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblekoraks
HQ pics: amanita and something un-IDed (need your help!)
    #8786872 - 08/17/08 03:45 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Man, did I get little sleep last night. We got ourselves two little kittens last week and last night, they paid our bedroom a visit for their nightly playing session. Anyway, in order to get a bit more centered again, I went to the woods and tried my hand at a bit more photography. Didn't find much in the way of mushrooms though, I guess these woods are just not the place to be when it comes to interesting species.

I did manage to find one club fungus of striking appearance; I think I've seen it before somewhere, but none of my guides seem to list it. You're help is much appreciated, although I can't offer much in terms of a description. All I know is that this was apparently fruiting from pine mulch or the roots of the dead pine stump in the first photo. Weather around here has been chantherelle-like this week.

One of the more appealing scenes I came across was this amanita rubescens fruiting in a patch of birch trees:

This bird is no more:

Habitat shot; not many mushrooms around here though:

That's all for now, I hope you can help me out with the club fungus; it kinda fascinates me.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAmberthefrog
Daemonic Frog of Kehjistan
Male

Loc: UK
Re: HQ pics: amanita and something un-IDed (need your help!) [Re: koraks]
    #8787220 - 08/17/08 05:22 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Nice finds, never seen much like the first one. The nearest thing I could come up with was Pisolithus arrhizus or maybe another Pisolithus?
I can't find much info at all on Pisolithus species.

--------------------
"All credibility, all good conscience, all evidence of truth come only from the senses. " ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

Edited by Amberthefrog (08/17/08 05:23 PM)

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
Re: HQ pics: amanita and something un-IDed (need your help!) [Re: Amberthefrog]
    #8787301 - 08/17/08 05:48 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

i was thinking  Pisolithus , but then in the last pictures i see those hairy surface and what appears to be pores to the side , maybe you have to check this one later on, but maybe is a poliraceae, with pores, andmaybe hydnellum , albatrellus,
maybe when is more big pick and open one in half..

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

InvisibleAmberthefrog
Daemonic Frog of Kehjistan
Male

Loc: UK
Re: HQ pics: amanita and something un-IDed (need your help!) [Re: cactu]
    #8787340 - 08/17/08 06:00 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

i was thinking  Pisolithus , but then in the last pictures i see those hairy surface and what appears to be pores to the side , maybe you have to check this one later on, but maybe is a poliraceae, with pores, andmaybe hydnellum , albatrellus,
maybe when is more big pick and open one in half..

Yep Hydnellum would have been my second guess,(Hydnellum peckii?) they have pores and also (in the case of Hydnellum peckii at least) they 'bleed', which the pic clearly is doing. Hydnellum peckii are not 'cub' though and tend to spread out into cap shapes, though as you say age is a big issue.

Like you say Albatrellus (ellisii?) also looks good!

--------------------
"All credibility, all good conscience, all evidence of truth come only from the senses. " ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

Invisiblekoraks
Re: HQ pics: amanita and something un-IDed (need your help!) [Re: Amberthefrog]
    #8791203 - 08/18/08 04:09 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

It's a pity that I won't have the time this week or probably next week to go back to the spot and see how these mature. I've checked your suggestions (many thanks, frog and cactu!), but haven't been able to come up with anything close enough for comfort. The hairiness is definitely an issue. Where's Alan when you need him? I think we could use another opinion here!

Btw, hydnellum would be the 'closest' genus in my non-expert opinion, but still no species in that genus that is close enough...

Edited by koraks (08/18/08 04:10 PM)

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #8791247 - 08/18/08 04:21 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

*ahem* *cough cough*

Wellll, my expert opinion is.........

........wait for it...........

Beats the hell out of me.  Sorry Koraks.

On another subject though, I sure could have used your photographic expertise on the hike yesterday.  Many times I thought, "Gee, I wish I had a set-up like Koraks'."

Awesome photos as always.  Good luck on the ID.

:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineN2loma
Foaming Pipe Snake
Male User Gallery

#8791262 - 08/18/08 04:23 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

That first mushroom is one of the funkiest I've seen...Looks like it has plenty of diagnostic characteristics to use but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't in most field guides. I would have assumed it was a "more normal" stalked polypore being attacked by a fuzzy mold if it weren't for the second individual in the background with the same appearance (then again, I have seen whole patches of boletes being attacked by Hypomyces at the same time...)

--------------------
"So can you tell me what exactly does freedom mean/
If I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be" -Divide by Disturbed

Good Guitars Don't Cry

Invisiblekoraks
Re: HQ pics: amanita and something un-IDed (need your help!) [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8791264 - 08/18/08 04:24 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

If, one day, I happen to be out there in your neighborhood, I promise we'll go out hunting and I'll tell you everything about mushroom photography I know. If you'll allow me to accompany you, that is of course :smile:

Invisiblekoraks
    #8791276 - 08/18/08 04:27 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for your reply, n2loma. The thought of an infestation hadn't crossed my mind yet, but I wouldn't rule it out. I have never seen a fungal infection quite like that before on a mushroom however, but then again, I still consider myself relatively unexperienced when it comes to IDing fungi. It sure is one funky appearance, any which way you turn it...

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #8791291 - 08/18/08 04:30 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

In a :heartpump: Koraks!

I might even have some Hydnum repandum saved for someone that likes them.  :whistling:

N2loma, you are correct.  This one isn't in the books.  First I'd start with stalked polypore and go from there.  Anyone know of a monograph or expert on them?

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
Re: HQ pics: amanita and something un-IDed (need your help!) [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8791315 - 08/18/08 04:34 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

There's obviously nothing wrong with your memory, mentioning the hydnums :laugh: I'll keep you posted on my whereabouts if I happen to travel overseas one day :wink:

I just crawled through my guides which are mostly German of origin (some are translated). Nothing lists anything close to this in appearance. I'm puzzled, but then again, it doesn't take very much for me to be puzzled. However, it mostly puzzles me that you people are puzzled as well. Which makes this puzzling-deluxe.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification