Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRhymenocerous
Stranger

Good casing mix?
    #8783251 - 08/16/08 06:00 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i got 2 1/2 jars of BRF cakes im getting ready to birth and i wanted to try my luck with a simple casing tray...ive been doing my reading on casings and have seen many ingredients to mix to create your casing layers,things like 50/50 peat/verm,50/50+, gypsum, calcium carbonate?jiffy mix?, coir,coffee grounds? alot of the posts i searched were a couple years old and i know growings come a far way, as far as trial and error, since...so can someone let me in on their experience? also,can someone clear up what a casing is supposed to do? ive read 2 things a)casings are ONLY for moisture and b)casings are for moisture AND the food mushrooms need to grow...which is it? thanks in advance for trying to help me out

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Good casing mix? [Re: Rhymenocerous]
    #8783282 - 08/16/08 06:09 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

All you need is in this bag and they have it everywhere >> the GIANT one is only like 12 bucks where I live :rockon:

O..You will want to pasteurize it though

Offlinevater
LOST
 User Gallery

Re: Good casing mix? [Re: Blutjager]
    #8783310 - 08/16/08 06:14 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hmm?,I have seen the Miracle grow moisture control in all the stores,
but I never paid any mind to it.
What is in it?

--------------------
GRIM GOPHER the great shroom hunter.
Coming in a theater near you.
Rated R

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Good casing mix? [Re: vater]
    #8783333 - 08/16/08 06:20 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I don't remember what it actually says is in it on the ingredient panel ..All I know is its cheap,its readily available and most importantly it works GREAT without you having to hunt down and mix up your own casing mixture :yesnod:

OfflineRhymenocerous
Stranger

#8783351 - 08/16/08 06:24 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Blutjager said:
All you need is in this bag and they have it everywhere >> the GIANT one is only like 12 bucks where I live :rockon:

are you serious?just that bag of miracle grow moisture control by itself?it cant be that simple :thumbup:

how do i pasturize that...that was gonna be my next post...ive read that you can microwave the ingredients to pasturize them, can i do this cuz this seems like the easiest thing for me to do?

OfflineRhymenocerous
Stranger

#8783362 - 08/16/08 06:27 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Blutjager said:
I don't remember what it actually says is in it on the ingredient panel ..All I know is its cheap,its readily available and most importantly it works GREAT without you having to hunt down and mix up your own casing mixture :yesnod:

im willing to search around for casing ingredients if it will result in overall better shrooms

Offlinevater
LOST
 User Gallery

#8783368 - 08/16/08 06:28 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Blutjager said:

I was just wondering if it had any nutez N,P,P in it?
If your using it,then I guess it doesn't.

--------------------
GRIM GOPHER the great shroom hunter.
Coming in a theater near you.
Rated R

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
    #8783375 - 08/16/08 06:31 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

thats all u need.pasturize by putting mix in a pillow case,put that in a cooler pour boiling water over it till its covered,do it again in about 30 min u want to have temps between 160&180 for an hour

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#8783381 - 08/16/08 06:33 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Rhymenocerous said:
Quote:

Blutjager said:

are you serious?just that bag of miracle grow moisture control by itself?it cant be that simple :thumbup:

how do i pasteurize that...that was gonna be my next post...Ive read that you can microwave the ingredients to pasteurize them, can i do this cuz this seems like the easiest thing for me to do?

Yes,it is that easy,I NEVER understood why people mix up their own,it may do a little better but when I was growing I used to toss my trays after 2 flushes anyway so what do I care,I'm not waiting around for stragglers..I'm freeing up prime real estate in the greenhouse for more projects.Than again I don't understand why allot of people do allot of the things they do here when they could do it so much easier..O well back on topic

Pasteurize

#1 put in jars

#2 put in PC and fill PC about 2/3rds up the jars with water

#3 put the cover on,leave the weight off

#4 bring to a boil

#5 let steam escape,boil for 5 min or so

#6 shut off heat

#7 let cool a half hr

#8 bring to a boil again like you just did,boil 5 more min,shut off heat and allow to cool to room temp

Your done :thumbup:

OfflineRhymenocerous
Stranger

Re: Good casing mix? [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #8783388 - 08/16/08 06:35 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

noobieshroomie said:
thats all u need.pasturize by putting mix in a pillow case,put that in a cooler pour boiling water over it till its covered,do it again in about 30 min u want to have temps between 160&180 for an hour

so you guys have had better results with this MG moisture control than other mixes? i think this is the first time ive heard about using MG, learn something new everyday

OfflineRhymenocerous
Stranger

#8783437 - 08/16/08 06:43 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Blutjager said:

Yes,it is that easy,I NEVER understood why people mix up their own,it may do a little better but when I was growing I used to toss my trays after 2 flushes anyway so what do I care,I'm not waiting around for stragglers..I'm freeing up prime real estate in the greenhouse for more projects.Than again I don't understand why allot of people do allot of the things they do here when they could do it so much easier..O well back on topic

Pasteurize

#1 put in jars

#2 put in PC and fill PC about 2/3rds up the jars with water

#3 put the cover on,leave the weight off

#4 bring to a boil

#5 let steam escape,boil for 5 min or so

#6 shut off heat

#7 let cool a half hr

#8 bring to a boil again like you just did,boil 5 more min,shut off heat and allow to cool to room temp

Your done :thumbup:

i got no PC...im more that newb,micro-scale grower that wants to try and experiment a bit....ive seen the light with pf cakes, its true its true, im not looking for bulk but a little more than a PF cake offers and i figured casing them will help in this venture...if MG works well i'll use that, but if some mixture is better suited for my situation im down for that too

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#8783512 - 08/16/08 07:02 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I don't have any step by step instructions as far as how to pasteurize without a PC but seeing as you do not actually bring the pressure cooker to pressure I'm sure you could probably apply the exact same technique to a pot of boiling water youth your jars in that :strokebeard: If anyone knows why this wouldn't wok please explain why cause I'm curious,it seems simple enough....Boil 5 min,let cool,boil 5 more and let cool again before use.It seems to me that as long as you make that happen it should work regardless of if it happens in a PC or not,I have just always used my PC so thats why I wrote it that way

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #8783545 - 08/16/08 07:10 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hey Blutjager, you use MGMC for a CASING layer? I guess if it works, it works. :shrug: :grin:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Good casing mix? [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8783560 - 08/16/08 07:13 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

BrandNewbie said:
Hey Blutjager, you use MGMC for a CASING layer? I guess if it works, it works. :shrug: :grin:

Its nearly all I ever used to use..as a matter of fact once I discovered how easy it was and that it worked so well I don't think I ever used anything else as a casing layer.. I'm a grain to coir and cased with miracle grow and fruited in a greenhouse grower..well not anymore but thats how I liked to grow and the only way I view as worth the time and trouble

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #8784079 - 08/16/08 08:55 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Too cool. :thumbup:

Just got tired of growing?

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

OfflineRhymenocerous
Stranger

#8786393 - 08/17/08 11:48 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

So no one else can offer me their proprietary blends?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale