Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineFelinor
PhilosophicalDreamer
Male

Loc: Down Town China Town
Guitar Pickup question
    #8745116 - 08/08/08 04:37 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, makin a mahogany strat, ill post pics if i ever complete it :cool: but im wondering...

I already bought a lace sensor gold pickup as i really like how they sound..plus i got it for like 34 bucks new/shipped.. im wondering about if i should go SSS or HSS and if i go HSS what pickups would go well with the lace sensor gold, particularly im wondering about the humbucker, any reccomendations?

--------------------
The world itself is the will to power - and nothing else! And you yourself are the will to power - and nothing else! ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWalterShabas
Male

Loc: Middle West
Re: Guitar Pickup question [Re: Felinor]
    #8745198 - 08/08/08 04:58 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

what type of music do you play?

--------------------
Push th' little daisies and make 'em come up.

OfflineFelinor
PhilosophicalDreamer
Male

Re: Guitar Pickup question [Re: WalterShabas]
    #8745276 - 08/08/08 05:17 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

haha... why i didnt answer that i have no idea, but.

70s rock, little blues, and maybe a little metal, buckethead style! no.. i wish.. i do plan on adding a killswitch however.

--------------------
The world itself is the will to power - and nothing else! And you yourself are the will to power - and nothing else! ~Friedrich Nietzsche

OfflineWalterShabas
Male

#8745304 - 08/08/08 05:25 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I would say go all single coil, but if you're going to be doing almost any type of metal, go with a humbucker, seymour duncans are good for that, i have two in my jackson.  if you do decide to get a humbucker, i do reccomend going with an active one.  theyre worth it.

good luck

--------------------

OfflineFelinor
PhilosophicalDreamer
Male

Re: Guitar Pickup question [Re: WalterShabas]
    #8745336 - 08/08/08 05:31 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

thats why i was thinking HSS, great versatality. but isnt the bridge position the "cleaner" channel and wouldnt that make it muddier? or is the neck the clean channel? lol, i know. stupid question. but i had no reason to know this before.

--------------------

OfflineWalterShabas
Male

#8745359 - 08/08/08 05:39 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

the cleaner sound comes from the bridge, so taking into account the types of music you play, I would say if you're going for a humbucker at all put it in the bridge position, but thats just my personal preference

--------------------

OfflineFelinor
PhilosophicalDreamer
Male

#8745512 - 08/08/08 06:12 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

screw it, i'll go single coil, it'll be easier to wire too lawl.

--------------------

OfflineMSLKauai
Stranger
    #8745538 - 08/08/08 06:19 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I would agree to put the bucker in the bridge position.  Most people think the neck single coil is the sweet spot of a strat so definitely don't change for a bucker in the neck.  Some nice buckers are "Pearly Gates," Gibson Burstbuckers, Lindy Fralins ... I'd definitely NOT go with a super high output humbucker as it will not blend well with your lower output single coils.  Strats, I believe, sound better with lower output buckers ... but if you're a serious metal player, then you might go with something else.  Why a serious metal player would play a strat, however, is a mystery to me.

OfflineWalterShabas
Male

Re: Guitar Pickup question [Re: MSLKauai]
    #8745560 - 08/08/08 06:26 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

looking forward to pics when its done

--------------------

OfflineFelinor
PhilosophicalDreamer
Male

#8745756 - 08/08/08 07:17 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MSLKauai said:
I would agree to put the bucker in the bridge position.  Most people think the neck single coil is the sweet spot of a strat so definitely don't change for a bucker in the neck.  Some nice buckers are "Pearly Gates," Gibson Burstbuckers, Lindy Fralins ... I'd definitely NOT go with a super high output humbucker as it will not blend well with your lower output single coils.  Strats, I believe, sound better with lower output buckers ... but if you're a serious metal player, then you might go with something else.  Why a serious metal player would play a strat, however, is a mystery to me.

thats one of the things i was worried about was the humbucker overpowering the single coils, especially the lace sensor gold which isn't exactly a "hot" pickup.

--------------------

OfflineMSLKauai
Stranger
    #8747959 - 08/09/08 08:38 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

If you're concerned about output levels, you can get an output reading on your current pickups (Just check what kind of pickup they are and look online ... if they're stock Fenders, you shouldn't have any trouble finding it) and then look at the output ratings of the various humbuckers you're considering.  I highly recommend the Pearly Gates by Seymour Duncan and you might look at their Alnico II Pro which is a low output bucker too.  You can't go wrong with a gibson burstbucker either.  Good luck.

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

#8748434 - 08/09/08 11:27 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Best pickup config I have ever done is a dual humbucker setup, with Lindy Fralin Un-buckers.  The coils are un-evenly wound so when you tap them, there isnt a huge drop in output, and it sounds like a true single coil.  I have a pair in my PRS Custom 22 wired Mcarty style (volume, push/pull tone for tap, and 3 way toggle switch). Best sounding guitar I have ever played, and incredibly versatile.
With this guitar, I can get all ranges of tones from smooth clean jazz, to ripping shred and everything in between. 

The brightness of the pickups will balance nicely with the rich, warm tones of the mahogany.  What is your neck/fretboard wood?  I find that with a mahogany body, a mahogany neck with an ebony fingerboard matches so perfectly.  Rich and creamy, with just the right amount of sparkle.

:hippie:

OfflineFelinor
PhilosophicalDreamer
Male

Re: Guitar Pickup question [Re: Quoiyaien]
    #8749718 - 08/09/08 05:04 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

lol, havent bought a neck yet. Was thinking about ebony but ive never played an ebony neck.. might go to a guitar shop and try one out.

What do the ebony necks feel like? The body is actually mahogany with a blue quilted maple top. I don't think a maple neck is gonna match since i plan on going all-black hardware.

--------------------

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

#8750215 - 08/09/08 07:23 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Ebony is black, so if you a have a mahogany neck, use the ebony as a fingerboard, and it will go nicely with your black hardware.  Check out Warmoth Guitars for some ideas.

OfflineMSLKauai
Stranger
    #8750286 - 08/09/08 07:42 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I've never heard a bucker that is tapped to a single coil sound anything like a good single coil.  I've heard some sound decent, but never like a fender type single coil.  I think it's better to keep a guitar as gimmick free as possible.  Get a good bucker guitar and a good single coil and let each do their own thing.  Probably the best combo setup I've ever seen/played is a strat with the David Gilmour EMG setup ... a lot of great sounds in that rig.  EMG's are active and the Gilmour setup has two great active eq knobs that replace the tone knobs.  You can get some amazing strat, les paul and inbetween sounds and a whole lot more.  But a lot of people don't like active pups.

OfflineFelinor
PhilosophicalDreamer
Male

#8750840 - 08/09/08 10:22 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i could probably just coil tap the humbucker and put in a mini toggle? ive heard that makes it alot more stratty then a fat strat usually is.

--------------------

OfflineIdeLOLogies
Strange

#8751884 - 08/10/08 06:04 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Bare Knuckle Pick-Ups.

It's all you need.

If you want to go all single coils, try a Sinner in the Bridge. I've had every person i show it to say something along the lines of "Jesus, is that a single coil?" when i run it through i high gain amp.
Still gets a real nice single coil sound if you drop the volume on your guitar a little.

I have a Sinner/Mothers Milk/Mothers Milk in my Strat, my favorite guitar to jam on because it's just so versatile.

Anyways yeah check their sight, the players section on the forum has sound clips of alot of the pick-ups, they'll be pricey but what do you expect for a hand wound pick-up that you can have customized to your exact spec.

They're the only pick-ups I'll play for now.

--------------------
God takes those closest to us, because it makes him feel better about himself. He is a very vengeful God. He's all pissed off about something we did thousands of years ago. He just can't get over it, so he doesn't care who he takes. Children, puppies, it don't matter to him, so long as it makes us sad.

Why does God give us anything?

Look at it this way: if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away. If you never give it a lollipop to begin with, it would have nothin' to cry about. That's like God, who gives us life and love and help just so that he can tear it all away and make us cry, so he can drink the sweet milk of our tears. You see, it's our tears, Stan, that give God his great power.

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

#8752611 - 08/10/08 11:41 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Felinor said:
i could probably just coil tap the humbucker and put in a mini toggle? ive heard that makes it alot more stratty then a fat strat usually is.

That is why I strongly recommend the Fralin.  its a PAF bucker when on full, but when tapped it sounds like a damn GOOD single coil.  Its an all hand wound pickup, made with the highest quality components.  I love them so damn much.  Check out the reviews at Harmony Central

OfflineFelinor
PhilosophicalDreamer
Male

#8781785 - 08/16/08 11:12 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Ya, decided on puttin the lace sensor gold on middle, gonna get a lace sensor hot gold on neck, they should give me a nice quack in pos4 and then coil tap a humbucker.. those fralins got awesome reviews but dayum, the price. idk maybe. this project might take me alot longer if i decide to do so though.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder