Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSethwick
Stranger
[BRF Tek] Colonizing the filter layer?
    #8773006 - 08/14/08 12:27 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Im growing some blue oyster alongside some B+ cubensis and the Oyster colonized a good bit faster. I figured this was just Murphys law, and decided it would be good practice to dunk them anyway so I dont fuck up the B+ when it comes time.

Anyway, I have several issues. First of all, when handling the cakes, to rinse them and brush off the filter verm as RR recommends in his videos, I couldnt avoid my gloves making an impression on the cakes. This struck me as a bad thing, is it? Blue Oyster myc is a lot more cobwebby than cubensis myc looks, so is it just softer?

But the real big thing I didnt know how to deal with was colonization of the dry verm on top of the cake. One cake, the one who reached 100% last (about a day after the others) had only barely colonized it, and it broke off when I was getting the cake out of the jar. The others had large fluffy myc on top (i thought it was cobweb, but I smelled bits that broke off and they smelled REALLY mushroomy), and only bits of that broke away in the process. I wasnt sure if I should break that off, because it had acted as a filter and could be contaminated, or leave it because breaking it off risked exposing something below. I ended up leaving it, I figure if all but the first cake mess up Ill know that I should have broken it off. The pieces that did break off are fully colonized, not quite as deep a white as the rest of the cake, but definitely stuck together solid with myc.

What should I have done there? Should I have broken off the colonized pure verm or left it alone?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJuke Adro
I love peach fluff
 User Gallery

Loc: Inside your head
Re: [BRF Tek] Colonizing the filter layer? [Re: Sethwick]
    #8773028 - 08/14/08 12:34 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

yeah its fine man, your stressing too much you seem like you have done your research and know what your doing make sure you role them in verm other than that its all good.

oyster myc is much faster than cube myc :wink:

--------------------
Someone said:  im actually not using ms, im using prints.
Trade List

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: [BRF Tek] Colonizing the filter layer? [Re: Juke Adro]
    #8773399 - 08/14/08 02:08 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Colonized cakes are pretty hardy and fairly resistant to contamination. If the mycellium is colonizing the filter layer, it's probably pretty healthy. You should be fine.

OfflineSethwick
Stranger
Re: [BRF Tek] Colonizing the filter layer? [Re: Brennus]
    #8773849 - 08/14/08 04:13 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Cool. Okay. Now I just have to finish putting wet perlite in my FC. Uhg, wet perlite is nasty stuff. . . I'm going to have to clean the gunk out of my drains afterwards.

OfflineSethwick
Stranger
    #8774503 - 08/14/08 07:26 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, maybe i'm being paranoid again but I have another issue. I put about 7 inches of damp perlite in my FC. I had a bit less than 5 and decided to do another load in my collenders, and it ended up being around 7 dependings how "fluffed" the perlite is. Anyway, I put my FC in another tote in order to catch any water draining for the first 24 hours (I won't put the cakes in till tomorrow), and I stuck one of those "weather clocks" in to get an idea of the humidity. It jumped from near 50 to 60 pretty quick, and then within 30-45 minutes it reached 75. Only, it seems to have stabilized there. That's too low, from what I've read, for fruiting. Since I have more perlite and, if anything, too much water (even after draining through collenders it has still dripped a decent amount out of my shotgun FC), should I worry about this or just assume my hygrometer is a POS? Or will it slowly increase by tomorrow?

OfflineMarioTrip
since84
Male

Loc: 69 w/ you
    #8774527 - 08/14/08 07:33 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

You probably have healthy myc :thumbup:

--------------------
I'm Livin' It, distribute it
The streets are inhibited
By cut throat niggas just like me
that out there getting dividends

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #8774531 - 08/14/08 07:34 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

If your still reading 75 then check that your meter is calibrated.

Rap a damp towel around the meter and after 30-60 minutes adjust to read 99%.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineSethwick
Stranger
Re: [BRF Tek] Colonizing the filter layer? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #8774578 - 08/14/08 07:42 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
If your still reading 75 then check that your meter is calibrated.

Rap a damp towel around the meter and after 30-60 minutes adjust to read 99%.

Good idea. Unfortunately my hygrometer is a POS and doesn't even have a way to calibrate it. I'm putting in an order to Amazon for an analog one used in humidors.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order