Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Perilite question for shotgun FC
    #8768905 - 08/13/08 03:46 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

For some reason, even in the god d*mn Twin Cities, I cannot find course grade perilite, the best I can find is medium, and thats not even real comparable to course - the stuff that comes in those real expensive looking bags and is "Name Brand".

My question is, has anyone used the smaller grade of perilite in a shotgun FC before, and perhaps just thrown some wire-mesh over the holes? It seems like the FAE holes are pretty precise about the size they need to be, so I figured jamming up some of that air exchange could dick things up.

If nothing else, anyone know a good site that sells perilite by the megaton for cheap? Id like to stockpile a lifetime supply or two as I am so damn sick of looking for it in St Paul.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAntii
Accident

Re: Perilite question for shotgun FC [Re: c1dh3d]
    #8768969 - 08/13/08 03:58 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i didnt put hole in my fc i used an air pump for air exchange so if your willing to spend an extra 15$...

--------------------
"Be yourself, because those who matter don't care, and those who care don't matter." by Dr. Seuss

Trade List!!

Edited by Antii (08/13/08 03:59 PM)

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
    #8768975 - 08/13/08 04:00 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Any good size nursery should have it. It's hard for me to believe you can't find it in a relatively large city. You can reuse it for a long time, so I don't know that you want to buy a huge supply right off the bat.

What I have is not all that course, and it looks like most of the pics I've seen. I would guess it's medium. You'd be surprised how little it falls out of the holes.

Offlinegluvbox
mycophagist
 User Gallery

Re: Perilite question for shotgun FC [Re: Mad River]
    #8769138 - 08/13/08 04:31 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I've had good luck here:
http://tinyurl.com/interior-gardening

--------------------
-------------------------------------
Please contribute to the mycology wiki:
mycology.wikia.com

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Perilite question for shotgun FC [Re: gluvbox]
    #8769313 - 08/13/08 04:59 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I have some course grade in a FC now I spose I'll just re-use and mix with the medium grade stuff and hopefully it won't have a problem falling out of the holes.

Question on baking the verm and perilite at 350 (if anyone knows), should I leave the oven door open? Thatd be really hard to explain burning perilite to my roommate at 3 am.

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
    #8769595 - 08/13/08 05:41 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

There's no need to bake the perlite, and if you're doing PF tek cakes, no need to bake verm, either.

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Perilite question for shotgun FC [Re: Mad River] * 1
    #8770160 - 08/13/08 07:30 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

The perilite is at the end of its use in a FC, and has already had Trich growing off cakes in there on each different flush - and you think I shouldn't bake it?

And I've heard baking the verm for awhile before rolling it can only help fight possible contam. I'm a clean freak when it comes to my mushy projects.

Anyways, I just wanted to know if the stuffs going to start to burn after 20 or so minutes at 300.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8770253 - 08/13/08 07:49 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

There's certain to be a hydroponic shop in your area.  They'll have both perlite and vermiculite in 3 cubic foot bags.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinecake is a lie
pwner with a bwner
Male

Loc: Mn
    #8770428 - 08/13/08 08:27 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

c1dh3d said:
For some reason, even in the god d*mn Twin Cities, I cannot find course grade perilite, the best I can find is medium, and thats not even real comparable to course - the stuff that comes in those real expensive looking bags and is "Name Brand".

My question is, has anyone used the smaller grade of perilite in a shotgun FC before, and perhaps just thrown some wire-mesh over the holes? It seems like the FAE holes are pretty precise about the size they need to be, so I figured jamming up some of that air exchange could dick things up.

If nothing else, anyone know a good site that sells perilite by the megaton for cheap? Id like to stockpile a lifetime supply or two as I am so damn sick of looking for it in St Paul.

idk if its course grade perlite or not but it doesnt fall through the holes in my FC and i got it at the walmart in maplewood just off 35E

--------------------
The Voice: It is the Broodwich, forged in darkness from wheat harvested in Hell's half-acre, baked by Beelzebub, slathered with mayonnaise beaten from the evil eggs of dark chicken forced into sauce by the hands of a one-eyed madman, cheese boiled from the rancid teat of a fanged cow, layered with six-hundred and sixty-six separate meats from an animal which has maggots for blood!

Frylock: [long pause] See... told ya.

Master Shake: I tasted mustard.

The Voice: Yeah... DIJON mustard!

Offlinegluvbox
mycophagist
 User Gallery

Re: Perilite question for shotgun FC [Re: cake is a lie]
    #8772282 - 08/14/08 07:56 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

The link I gave earlier is a hydroponics shop.

--------------------
-------------------------------------
Please contribute to the mycology wiki:
mycology.wikia.com

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Perilite question for shotgun FC [Re: gluvbox]
    #8772460 - 08/14/08 09:33 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I have another question, while the topic is still semi-active, about the atmosphere my shotty will be in.

Elevated barely inches above carpet, that is more than worn, and fairly enclosed by shit. Should I shampoo, lysol, or my own personal thought - both plus tarping it off with plasting sheeting?

I can just imagine how much stuff a well used carpet can harbor over the years, and a contaminant prone chamber fully drilled with holes seems like shroomicide waiting to happen.

Any suggestions?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8772622 - 08/14/08 10:31 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Put your terrarium an inch or two above a table, not the carpet, or even a floor without carpet.  Because of gravity, over 90% of all contaminant spores in a room are within 1 foot of the floor. That's no place for a fruiting chamber.

Even with your terrarium off the floor, anything you do to shampoo or otherwise clean the carpet is a good thing.  do it before your project goes into the FC because of all the crap that is sent airborne during cleaning.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags