Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Wisdom Teeth
    #877142 - 09/11/02 07:20 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Why do we need wisdom teeth? Why do we have them? What possible evolutionary need to we have of these mysterious teeth that appear behind our molars at seemingly random points in our lives? Yes I know not the most exciting subject, but recently I have been perplexed with this problem.

I was at the dentist the other day, first time in a long time, and they took X-rays. They came back and were all freaked out like "oh boy your going to need those wisdom teeth out, they are growing in sideways" and proceeded to manipulate my mom into making an appointment with an oral surgeon. SURGERY?!?! Hell no. I am the type of person that would rather writhe in pain for a good while before ever submitting to modern science's view of how my body should be.

So I went to the oral surgeon today as a preliminary type thing to see what this was all about... they took more X-rays and damn I have to say my bottom wisdom teeth are pretty mutated looking. They are actually positioned sideways, pointing outwards. But the thing is, they don't hurt (even though they look like they should). But I have to make the decision in the next week because now is the only time I will be able to get the surgery done without paying it for myself. If I wait until later in life I will have to pay around $1500 to get them removed.

What should I do? Have any of you left your wisdom teeth in? Does the pain eventually cease as your mouth evolves to accomodate the new additions?

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinevaporbrains
Cub Scout

Loc: ghetto# 03479
Re: Wisdom Teeth [Re: Adamist]
    #877171 - 09/11/02 07:33 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

why don't you just have them removed? you get novacaine and nitrous oxide and vomiting and cotton in your mouth. it's really fun. when i went under it felt like no time had passed between lying back and sitting up at the end.

--------------------
All refrences to and statements concerning mushrooms, mushroom cultivation, and mushroom related paraphrenalia refer specifically to the cultivation of legal species.

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: Wisdom Teeth [Re: vaporbrains]
    #877194 - 09/11/02 07:41 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Call me slow to change, but I don't like how modern medicine removes things such as tonsils, wisdom teeth, etc because they view them as not having a useful purpose. How do they know? I am born with these things, why are they there? There must be some sort of purpose...
I trust nature more than I do proffesional money-suckers.

But yeah if I was to get them out, getting drugs would be a major plus.  :grin:   

--------------------

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cologne, Germany
    #877241 - 09/11/02 08:01 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I trust nature more than I do proffesional money-suckers.

amen to that

same happened to me... i went to the dentits and they told me i was gonna have to get those fuckers out... although they are growing quite nicely and do not hurt... but the dentist says i don't have enough space in my mouth and eventually the other teeth are going to be pushed aside, leaving my smile all twisted... arrrgh i hate it... well anyways i haven't been to the dentist again, and i have not called any oral surgeon, although i fell i should  :crazy:
anyways at least you get nitrous oxide and opiates... over here the only thing you get is local anestecy (sp?) ... damn i dont wanna go! what do you guys say? should i risk my beauty in order to spare myself some pain  :grin:

--------------------

Edited by Lozt Soul (09/11/02 08:01 AM)

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #877381 - 09/11/02 08:42 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Why do we need wisdom teeth? Why do we have them?

In the old days before dental care existed, people tended to loose some of their teeth. As the wisdom teeth come in, they help replace the missing teeth.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
    #877880 - 09/11/02 11:38 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

The reason you want them out is that they will not grow in properly and you will have other problems (which could affect your other teeth). You want to do almost anything to keep your teeth healthy. I know some people who've had all of theirs out so they have dentures and they all tell me to do anything to keep that from happening to myself. Not that this would destroy all your teeth, but you want to avoid losing any of them as much as you can.

Other thoughts on this: I had mine out (all 4 at once) when I was 16. Since the teeth weren't all the way developed, I was told that the surgery wouldn't be as bad as if I waited until later and they were bigger. Also, you want to get all 4 done at once. It's going to hurt a bit and you'll feel shitty for a day or two, but if you have them done one at a time you have to go through it all 4 times. If you have them all done at once you only have to suffer the one time. Besides, I'm sure it wasn't that much worse than it would have been if I'd only had 1 or 2 out. They'll also probably give you some great pain medication to take.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineakyouser_oner
unclefuckerextrordinaire

Loc: standing in the shadows a...
    #879164 - 09/11/02 10:14 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

dude, i feel you about not wanted to alter your body, but you are gonna wanna get those fuckers out! they are gonna do nothing but cause you problems later. i think maybe they were leftovers from a time when we needed em for for whatever reason, like dew claws on a dog, or an appendix. at any rate, go get em out, get some good opioids and relax for a few days. you'll be better off in the long run...

--------------------
-akyouser.oner
<(((((((((((((((@~~~

Offlinemumblz
mushroominspector
Loc: new jersey
Re: Wisdom Teeth [Re: akyouser_oner]
    #879656 - 09/12/02 03:04 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

wisdom teeth don't really hurt that bad....well i guess it could have been all the painkillers but i was able to eat solid food the next day...just had to be careful not to chew to far back..

Offlinepopdewman
passenger

Loc: us, maryland
Re: Wisdom Teeth [Re: mumblz]
    #879682 - 09/12/02 03:25 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

it was worth it for the percoset haha

Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Shadow of Neptune
    #879946 - 09/12/02 05:34 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I had it done recently. when i got my xrays the doc said "well those bottom ones are gonna hve to come out, there's just not enough room for em. and while we're at it we're just gonna yank the top ones too"
I said fuck that and they only took out my bottom ones, the tops were fine, they just wanted more $$ !
you should get yours taken out though if they're crooked like that. the operation is fine, make sure you get them to put you under. dont smoke cigs or weed in the days after, you will get something called a dry socket that puffs up one side of your jaw ...this happened to me and it makes life rather shitty for a few days so wait a few days to smoke.
the so called "painkillers" they gave me were actually steroids and just made me vomit. try to get a good perscription!!

Edited by dee_N_ae (09/12/02 05:36 AM)

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: Wisdom Teeth [Re: dee_N_ae]
    #879967 - 09/12/02 05:45 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for all your opinions... :smile:

I'm leaning towards getting them taken out at the moment. What brand of pain medication should I ask for? Keep in mind I am under 18 so they may not give me anything strong... when they were talking about it all they said was "antibiotics".  :frown: 

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #880244 - 09/12/02 09:17 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

They typically give you percocet (oxycodone) for the pain.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
    #880455 - 09/12/02 11:30 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think that the main problem you have with it is the desecration of your body, i think you are just scared of surgery. when i went through it i went through the same thinking pattern as you are now. i was deathly afraid of the surgery because it was my first but. I don't doubt that you really do want to uphold the natural process of your body but getting your wisdom teeth taken out isn't a fashion statement. it truly is in your best interest. we dont live in a natural state, we have to do unnatural things to live healthy in our unnatural lifestyles. I totally understand where you are coming from. just suck it up and do it put up with the week of swollen cheeks and gums and you'll be happy you did in the long run. The novacane is pretty nice. its almost instantaneous the passing out and waking up. makes you wonder if death is like the nothingness in between.

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

Anonymous

#880464 - 09/12/02 11:34 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Wow, you're gonna like the next post I put in the Truth thread. I wrote it without reading this forum for the last two days.

Cheers,

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds