Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMortMtroN
journeyman
Air exchange
    #875294 - 09/10/02 04:21 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I got knocked upside the head the other day and had a weird dream. There were these three witches growing mycelium in mason jars with whole organic rye berries and they asked me what they could put in the lid to filter out spores but that would allow air exchange. I told them that I read somewhere to use a cloth asbestos filter. They said they didn't know where to get any asbestos and didn't like the thought of it. They asked me If cotton balls would work but I didn't know. So would they?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: Air exchange [Re: MortMtroN]
    #875330 - 09/10/02 04:27 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Never use asbestos!  :smile:

I suppose you could use cotton balls if you needed to, but they absorb quite a bit of water and aren't as durable as something like polyfill. 

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

OfflineMortMtroN
journeyman
Re: Air exchange [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #875340 - 09/10/02 04:30 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Where can I get that stuff, I don't even know what it is? I read a lot about filter discs but don't know where to get that either. Also, is it okay to put these materials through the pressure cooker, won't a bunch of water get through them?

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
    #875345 - 09/10/02 04:33 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Polyfill is the stuffing that goes into pillows and other plush items. It's also commonly used in aquarium canister filters. If you can't find a bag of polyfill at your local craft department or fish store, you could always buy a cheap pillow stuffed with it.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #875521 - 09/10/02 06:22 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Micky, would polyfill work instead of verm as a dry layer in PF jars if you were in a pinch?

The reason grandparents and grandchildren get along so well is they have a common enemy----- Sam Levenson

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Re: Air exchange [Re: Magash]
    #875525 - 09/10/02 06:25 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

You know, it just might work well. Try it if you have a couple of spare jars and let us know how it worked out for you.

--------------------

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

#875552 - 09/10/02 06:33 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineMortMtroN
journeyman
Re: Air exchange [Re: cheesenoonions]
    #875742 - 09/10/02 08:04 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

So I think I want to try and use tyvek. Somebody said in that thread that you just inoculate throught the filter. But since I don't have a syringe would there be a way to take it off to inoculate. Also I just inoculated 6 pint jars and I just used the lids and I realize now that it is all wrong and that it won't grow, and I had to travel out of town to get my organic rye berries and was wondering if I can sterilize it again and re-do it.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #875802 - 09/10/02 08:59 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I think I will I have nothing to loose.

I'm trying to arrange my life so that I don't even have to be present.-- Unknown

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisiblecolors
try-hard
Loc: fat land
    #875944 - 09/11/02 01:08 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Would that dackron stuff work?
Or does no one know what the hell I'm talking about?

Offlinejosh057
Loc: az
    #875950 - 09/11/02 01:11 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

some witch that I know uses coffee filters. But she is crazy.
joshLSD

OfflineMortMtroN
journeyman
Re: Air exchange [Re: josh057]
    #876041 - 09/11/02 03:00 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

so can i do that?

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

#876106 - 09/11/02 12:13 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i don't know what you're asking exactly, but if you want to know if you can remove the filter, then yes you can. I've never used this tyvek stuff, but I would cut a circle the same size as the canning jar lids and use them instead of the lid. if it fits snuglly into that thing that you screw on to keep the lid in place, then it will come off when you unscrew the lid screw thing. Anyway, when you work w/ filters let me warn you that moisture can evaporate through some filters. Micron Magic filter discs is a good example. If you don't cover the filter with foil, the moisture from the cake or jar will evaporate out and dry your substrate, this will significantly SIGNIFICANTLY stunt your mycelial growth if not halt it all together. So you may want to put the jars in a container with a high humidity, cover the top with foil or inject water into your jars during colonization. I know this is a big prob with PF jars, but I am not sure if it is an issue with grain substrates without verm.
If you're not using syringes, what are you using, agar wedges?

OfflineMortMtroN
journeyman
    #876136 - 09/11/02 12:26 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

whew!!! they smell like alchohol so I guess I can't. Anybody know why that is?

I am using mycelium from somebody else's culture by the way

Edited by MortMtroN (09/11/02 01:02 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract