Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblesimjam68
Stranger
Female

Possible trich?
    #8746998 - 08/08/08 11:20 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Cant post a picture at the moment, but I have 6 recently inoculated jars (5 days ago) that are developing some dark greenish-gray blotches on the substrate. 

From what Ive read about Trich - first you see the white stuff, then it turns green.  I never saw any white patches - just an increasing amount of dark greenish-gray spots. 

There does seem to be some mycellium forming also (behind and around the "blotches") - but Im nervous about contamination.  Yes, Im a total newbie.  But I do have 6 other jars (from a different batch) that are looking fabulous.  Could it possibly be anything that I should NOT be worried about - or should I just scrap the whole lot...

Thank you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewisp

Re: Possible trich? [Re: simjam68]
    #8747018 - 08/08/08 11:24 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Doesn't sound like trich, but definitely sounds like a contaminant.

Offlinetwboss
Sceptic
Male User Gallery

Loc: 321 Flag
Re: Possible trich? [Re: wisp]
    #8747046 - 08/08/08 11:30 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds like contams in the six you mentioned, don't scrap the ones that are doing good. If you post pictures of them we can tell you more. But any color other then white or grey in BRF jars, are a bad omen. Trich is just 1 of the hundreds of different contaminations you can get.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Possible trich? [Re: twboss]
    #8748008 - 08/09/08 08:57 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Here's what trich looks like in a pf tek type jar.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblesimjam68
Stranger
Female

Re: Possible trich? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8749334 - 08/09/08 02:57 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

That looks scarily close to what I've got - only my blotches are darker, and they seemed to form before the myc that is now growing behind/around them...

Nevertheless, I think I'll go with the "better safe than sorry" approach and scrap the entire lot.

Thanks so much for the pics.

Offlinepiracetam
bioanalytical chemist
Male User Gallery

Loc: TX Flag
Re: Possible trich? [Re: simjam68]
    #8752065 - 08/10/08 08:21 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

swim has the same sort of contaminant, dark green mold (on a cake that already put out its first flush) which was not white at any point. will these molds inhibit future fruiting?

swim isn't too worried about contaminants on fruits, since he will dry via vacuum dessication then extract via soxhlet, a/b extraction, crash out and vacuum filter; just concerned about the mold inhibiting growth.

--------------------
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is just poetry, imagination." ~Max Planck

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Possible trich? [Re: piracetam]
    #8752521 - 08/10/08 11:20 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Molds inhibit, if not totally stop growth and fruiting.  In addition, the spores they release degrade future chances for success by contaminating your work areas.  Toss out substrates with molds as soon as they're seen. 

This is to protect your grow area.  Green molds are not dangerous or unhealthy to healthy humans.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblesimjam68
Stranger
Female

Re: Possible trich? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8752769 - 08/10/08 12:13 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I have disposed of the offenders (outside naturally), and they had been quarantined from the others since the day I noticed the "spots".  The other 6 are still doing extremely well, with no signs of contamination.

I have one last question.  Do you think it is more likely that I had one bad syringe - or that my sterilization techniques were not quite adequate?  All 12 were prepared on the same day, using the same procedures.  The only difference was that 6 were inoculated with one syringe - and 6 with another.  All 6 from the second syringe were contaminated within days...

Naturally, I'd like to think it was the syringe - and that my sterilzation techniques were good (followed the guides to the letter).  But, I'd like an expert opinion.

Thanks again for your help & input!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck