Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBennyProfane
Alcoholic Pseudointellectual
Male

Re: DUH!!! This is probably the cause of my contam problem! [Re: twboss]
    #8747138 - 08/08/08 11:54 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

twboss said:
Try WBS if you can, I find it more contam proof than RYE, and for 10$ a 50LB bag, you can't beat that with a stick!

I have heard the total opposite. WBS is what I've been using and I hear that is way dirtier than rye.  Anyway, I'll prob use popcorn for my next try.  It just seems easier to work with and just looks cleaner than rye or wbs.  IDK, just get good vibes from it.

--------------------
All of my posts are completely fictional.  I post info and pics stolen from other sources because I wan't to appear to be cool to others.

Pity makes suffering contagious - Nietzsche

Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously! - Nietzsche

Convictions are more dangerous to the truth than lies - Nietzsche

There was only one Christian, and he died on the cross for his own sins - Nietzsche

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBennyProfane
Male

Re: DUH!!! This is probably the cause of my contam problem! [Re: themange]
    #8747156 - 08/08/08 11:59 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

themange said:
Quote:

twboss said:
When you shampoo...do you alaways remember to repeat? If not you might wanna look into that. It has nothing to do with cultivation, but it is reccomended on almost every bottle of shampoo.

:ilold:

also: if you are really that clean and you keep getting contams, i would guess that either your innoculant isn't sterile, or that you arent pressure cooking correctly for the right times and temps.

I am thinking my PC might be part of the problem.  Just upgraded to an AA so I'm not worried about that anymore.  Can anyone tell me horror stories about lilshop or is this all BS?  All my spore syringes are from lilshop and I'm hoping this isnt my source of contams.

--------------------
All of my posts are completely fictional.  I post info and pics stolen from other sources because I wan't to appear to be cool to others.

Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously! - Nietzsche

There was only one Christian, and he died on the cross for his own sins - Nietzsche

Invisiblethemange
Senior Citizen
Male

Re: DUH!!! This is probably the cause of my contam problem! [Re: BennyProfane]
    #8747161 - 08/09/08 12:02 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

AA is the way to go. they will last longer than you will.

i have no comment on lilshop.

OfflineHazeyRoms
The Pro Sonn
Male

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: DUH!!! This is probably the cause of my contam problem! [Re: abitavenger]
    #8747195 - 08/09/08 12:14 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

i disagree with this statement personally

ive had more contams using WBS when before i was at 0 contams with rye..

-Totally agree-

--------------------
-Sonn, Hazey here. And I'm bacc. Anyone in Wisconsin, PM me. Unity my nillas/niggas.

-"5 Nike duffle bags??? How much does all that weigh?? - Just 30 pounds Bruhh, relax my nilla, it don't stink like weed so we're all good."-(Penis Envy Moments)-

Offlineharikata
Stranger
Female User Gallery

#8747198 - 08/09/08 12:15 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I've ordered from Lil' Shop and had absolutely no problems with contams.  Your problem might have been your old pressure cooker.  Also, try PCing for 90 minutes.  It can't hurt.

Invisiblethemange
Senior Citizen
Male

Re: DUH!!! This is probably the cause of my contam problem! [Re: harikata]
    #8747213 - 08/09/08 12:20 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

if your PC sucks and leaks (especially ones with old rubber gaskets) pc'ing to long will dry out your grain/brf..etc.

pcing longer is a working, easy step to ensure low contamination rates.

I cant really praise AAPC enough. they make a quality product.

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
    #8747356 - 08/09/08 01:31 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

My sterile procedures is me telling my dogs to go into the other room, then i wash my hands. Of course i clean all of my tools and jars, I flame sterilize my needle, I spray Lysol on my tubs after i wash them, and wipe the inside lid of my jars clean after putting in the sub. Other than that, i just follow the teks.

I just work fast and not touch anything that isn't sterile. I don't even have a filter on my furnace that my air/heat goes through. You prob is either your not sterilizing the jars long enough, or your spores are contaminated. I am guessing the latter.

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
    #8747435 - 08/09/08 02:15 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

My jar contam rate is 2% and only with one type of substrate(wbs) yet never do i spray oust, use alcohal, wear face masks, use gloves or any of that silly shit. Just take a shower wear clean clothes, put your shirt over your mouth/nose, flame needle you should be good.  If that doesn't work then it's something else causing it. Maybe you are not preparing the subs correctly??? I don't know. 100& contam rate is not gonna be caused because you have an AC running or didn't let oust settle.... it really isnt.

--------------------

Offlineabitavenger
3rd gear vtak
Male

Loc: east coast
Re: DUH!!! This is probably the cause of my contam problem! [Re: ray40cal]
    #8747598 - 08/09/08 04:25 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ray40cal said:
100& contam rate is not gonna be caused because you have an AC running or didn't let oust settle.... it really isnt.

agreed

--------------------
Karma.

Offlinedemonicaeroponic
Ghost
Male User Gallery

#8747619 - 08/09/08 04:40 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Benny, in your first post you didn't mention if after flame sterilizing if you wrapped the needle in alcohol and then inoculated jars with keeping needle wrapped, nor did you mention which type of lids you are using, so the problem could also lie there-in... just my 2 cents. (I'd definitely say that letting the lysol/oust have enough time to settle and kill off all contams would most likely be the problem though.

Also, you may have initially received a fine syringe, but contamed it by sucking contams back into the needle by mistake after failing to sterilize tops of the jars by letting the lysol/oust settle and have time to work its magic. So don't assume that lilshop gave you contams =)

--------------------
My Kratom Experience

>>::(My Garden - Updated 6-16-09!)::<<
(Nelumbo Nucifera) - (Desmanthus Illinois) - (Delosperma Cooperi)
(Coleus) - (Morning Glory H.B.) - (Klip Dagga) - (Nicotiana Rustica)
(Sinicuichi) - (Mimosa Hostilis)

Offlinedemonicaeroponic
Ghost
Male User Gallery

Re: DUH!!! This is probably the cause of my contam problem! [Re: demonicaeroponic]
    #8747620 - 08/09/08 04:43 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Although, my guess is still that your lids may be the culprit. For 100% contam rates it'd have to be either an infected syringe or very poor lid design (or mediocre lid design put into an environment with extremely high contams floating around I suppose would give 100% contam)

*EDIT*

Also, could anyone point out if trich/redmold have endospores/whatever that could survive the PC'ing process if the substrate grain wasn't soaked for at least 24 hours before PC'ing? Because that could also be the problem. (not presoaking grains)

--------------------
My Kratom Experience

Edited by demonicaeroponic (08/09/08 04:46 AM)

OfflineBennyProfane
Male

Re: DUH!!! This is probably the cause of my contam problem! [Re: demonicaeroponic]
    #8747640 - 08/09/08 05:17 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

demonicaeroponic said:
Benny, in your first post you didn't mention if after flame sterilizing if you wrapped the needle in alcohol and then inoculated jars with keeping needle wrapped, nor did you mention which type of lids you are using, so the problem could also lie there-in... just my 2 cents. (I'd definitely say that letting the lysol/oust have enough time to settle and kill off all contams would most likely be the problem though.

Also, you may have initially received a fine syringe, but contamed it by sucking contams back into the needle by mistake after failing to sterilize tops of the jars by letting the lysol/oust settle and have time to work its magic. So don't assume that lilshop gave you contams =)

Lid design is a 1/4" hole stuffed with polyfil used for both gas exchange and inoculation.  For my next try I will be ditching the polyfil and using 2 holes, 1 self-healing silicone injection hole and 1 tyvek/microspore tape breather hole.  I wasn't assuming lilshop gave me contaminated jars, that was just the initial response from the board that got me worried.
Yes, I did flame sterilize then wrapped it in a 71% alcohol soaked paper towel before inoculation.

--------------------

OfflineBennyProfane
Male

#8747641 - 08/09/08 05:18 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

demonicaeroponic said:
Although, my guess is still that your lids may be the culprit. For 100% contam rates it'd have to be either an infected syringe or very poor lid design (or mediocre lid design put into an environment with extremely high contams floating around I suppose would give 100% contam)

*EDIT*

Also, could anyone point out if trich/redmold have endospores/whatever that could survive the PC'ing process if the substrate grain wasn't soaked for at least 24 hours before PC'ing? Because that could also be the problem. (not presoaking grains)

WBS presoaked for 24 hrs BTW.

--------------------

Offlinedemonicaeroponic
Ghost
Male User Gallery

#8747760 - 08/09/08 07:01 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Well good sir, I suppose I'd order new syringes and try again, given all those precautions I couldn't imagine 100% contam from anything other than a contaminated syringe.

--------------------
My Kratom Experience

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8747937 - 08/09/08 08:29 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Since molds are killed at temperatures far below boiling, your sterilization process isn't an issue.  We use pressure cookers for bacteria, not molds.

That reduces the problem to either faulty filters or the inoculation process.  I suspect inoculation.  Obtain new inoculant and try again.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineHazeyRoms
The Pro Sonn
Male

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: DUH!!! This is probably the cause of my contam problem! [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8748143 - 08/09/08 10:04 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

ben, so you been tryin hard huh?? I try to help as much as I can. You know just to pm me if you got any questions homie.

--------------------
-Sonn, Hazey here. And I'm bacc. Anyone in Wisconsin, PM me. Unity my nillas/niggas.

-"5 Nike duffle bags??? How much does all that weigh?? - Just 30 pounds Bruhh, relax my nilla, it don't stink like weed so we're all good."-(Penis Envy Moments)-

OfflineBennyProfane
Male

#8748469 - 08/09/08 11:39 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Since molds are killed at temperatures far below boiling, your sterilization process isn't an issue.  We use pressure cookers for bacteria, not molds.

That reduces the problem to either faulty filters or the inoculation process.  I suspect inoculation.  Obtain new inoculant and try again.
RR

I forgot about my little experiment.  I took some bird seed prepped the same way as my contaminated jars, tossed it in a jar, and threw a polyfil stuffed lid on it and it has been sitting in the same cupboard my contaminated jars were in.
It's been there for about a week and a half now and shows no signs of contamination.
The only difference is I didn't PC it but if anything it should be more likely to contam if I didn't PC so I have to have a an innoculant problem, correct?

--------------------

OfflineBennyProfane
Male

#8751764 - 08/10/08 04:45 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

BennyProfane said:
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:

RR

I forgot about my little experiment.  I took some bird seed prepped the same way as my contaminated jars, tossed it in a jar, and threw a polyfil stuffed lid on it and it has been sitting in the same cupboard my contaminated jars were in.
It's been there for about a week and a half now and shows no signs of contamination.
The only difference is I didn't PC it but if anything it should be more likely to contam if I didn't PC so I have to have a an innoculant problem, correct?

Bump. ANY opinions?  Since my jar that was not inoculated shows no signs of mold or bacteria growth, isn't this strong evidence pointing toward bad innoculant?

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8752049 - 08/10/08 08:11 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, either bad inoculant or bad procedure during inoculation.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinewasting_space
....JerkO'lantern....

Loc: halloweentown
    #8752203 - 08/10/08 09:45 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I would say the innoculant might be sour...  I have had mixed results with lil shop... about a 25% success rate with their syringes..  Although when I make my own syringes with prints I acquire I have about a 90% success rate..  WEIRD!!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate