Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepugnax
Stranger
 User Gallery
First cow pasture hunt
    #8737414 - 08/07/08 02:15 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hey, I've done a lot of foraging before and have hunted for some edible mushrooms like boletes, trumpets, and oysters. I have had no first hand experience with magic mushrooms however, only what Ive read online.
        Today a friend and I hunted in a cow pasture. There was quite a bit of rain the prior night, and we found many mushrooms. We werent sure if what we found was active so we only picked about a third of what was there. The pictures are of my finds. I am mostly concerned with the mushrooms on the larger sheet of paper, though I think they're all the same. The mushrooms on the smaller sheet are similar, but with more domed caps. There are also some smaller darker ones and two LBM that Im not trying to identify as of yet.

Again I am new at this, so sorry for any ignorance. I think all of the mushrooms in the closer pics are the same, but big differences can be seen when I compare the caps. Sorry if i am mixing species.

Habitat:
In a pasture full of cow dung, growing very close to the patties.

Gills:
Grayish white, see pictures.

Stem:
Length of up 12 cm. Diameter between 2 and 10 mm, most are about 8. Mostly white with some grey and very light yellow here and there; creme I guess.  Hollow, but sturdy. They are all generally straight with a few slight exceptions. They all have grooves/lines running up and down that twist around a little.

Cap:
Diameter up to 9 cm. Spongy. Brown in the middle fading to white. Some have a more noticeable third fade to a grayish yellow along the edge. The younger ones seem to have more domed caps while the older ones seem to open up more. There are however young ones with nice opened, non-dome caps, so I am beginning to think that there could be some different species here...

Spore print color:
I know its very important, but the prints are still in progress. I probably should have waited, sorry.

Bruising:
In the pasture there was no noticeable color changes, however, after about five or six hours after picking they have become slightly more prone to bruising: where pressure is applied, the normal mushroom color seems to simply darken.

Other information:
Smells just like the normal white mushrooms from the store.

Three different cap types:

Thanks a lot!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKrez
RamRod
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: First cow pasture hunt [Re: pugnax]
    #8737481 - 08/07/08 02:45 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

:thumbdown: I could be wrong but I dont think you have any actives...Wait for someone else to chime in though!

--------------------
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.  (Homer)

Look, the thing about my family is there's five of us. Marge, Bart, Girl Bart, the one who doesn't talk, and the fat guy. How I loathe him. (Drunk Homer)

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not. (Tyler Durden)

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Houston, Texas. Flag
    #8737487 - 08/07/08 02:50 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Those arent what you want... what you want is Psilocybe cbensis.. also ONLY pick the ones that grow DIRECTLY from the poop

look at my psilocybe cubensis identification guide http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8045055/an/0/page/0

OfflineBeege
gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: First cow pasture hunt [Re: implee]
    #8738013 - 08/07/08 08:58 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yea not cubes, sorry man but you got some semi-look alikes.

Once you get the hang of it you can identify cubensis fairly easily.

--------------------

Offlinepugnax
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: First cow pasture hunt [Re: implee]
    #8738027 - 08/07/08 09:03 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Okay thanks. The spore prints have all turned out a yellowish white anyway. Im in CT by the way if it makes any difference.

But in the last three pictures, was I right to think those different cap shapes make a huge impact? At first I assumed that everything was the same species, but if they are after all different I'd be more careful while sorting in the future.

InvisiblezSDMF
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: lost in nothing Flag
    #8738030 - 08/07/08 09:04 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

being in Connecticut makes all the difference, cubes don't grow there

Offlinesmokdatkush
Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cope-land
Re: First cow pasture hunt [Re: zSDMF]
    #8738214 - 08/07/08 10:04 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

shyt man those kinda looked like cubes but the white gills kills that idea, good luck next time.

--------------------

OfflinePsilo_Subliminal
Delta
Male

Loc: Dagobah
Re: First cow pasture hunt [Re: smokdatkush]
    #8738650 - 08/07/08 11:50 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

smokdatkush said:
shyt man those kinda looked like cubes but the white gills kills that idea, good luck next time.

Same thought that went through my head.

--------------------
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

OfflineBeege
gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: First cow pasture hunt [Re: Psilo_Subliminal]
    #8738871 - 08/07/08 12:40 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yea when I first saw them all in the small pictures all lined up like that i was like shiiiiiiit

But then I opened up the pics and saw the gills and stems =/

--------------------

OfflineN2loma
Foaming Pipe Snake
Male User Gallery

Re: First cow pasture hunt [Re: Beege]
    #8741237 - 08/07/08 10:19 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Some of those remind me of stout Fairy Ring mushrooms I've come across...Dunno...

--------------------
"So can you tell me what exactly does freedom mean/
If I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be" -Divide by Disturbed

Good Guitars Don't Cry

Offlinepugnax
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: First cow pasture hunt [Re: N2loma]
    #8741373 - 08/07/08 10:41 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Alright, well it was pouring rain and hail today, so I want to get back to the cow field tomorrow. Does it seem like it would be worth it, or should I just abandon to idea of finding any actives in CT? I'll look for some different kinds. My friend found a bunch of little ones growing directly out from the bottoms of the patties. The caps were dark orange fading to gray and were shaped like those of liberty caps with even darker gills and stem. I know they weren't cubes though.

OfflineCubensisCutter
mycologist
 User Gallery

#8742121 - 08/08/08 01:06 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

not all cubes grow directly from poop, but about %80 of the time they do. they can and do grow in spots where there used o be poop but it has washed away into the soil however the nutrients are still available

--------------------

thats right cubes in december bitches

OfflineN2loma
Foaming Pipe Snake
Male User Gallery

#8742547 - 08/08/08 05:12 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I suspect that Gymnopilus species are the largest actives you'll be able to find wild.

--------------------
"So can you tell me what exactly does freedom mean/
If I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be" -Divide by Disturbed

Good Guitars Don't Cry

InvisiblezSDMF
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: lost in nothing Flag
Re: First cow pasture hunt [Re: N2loma]
    #8742680 - 08/08/08 06:52 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

those mushrooms litter every one of my fields in huge numbers, or at least ones that look just like it.  they look like cubes sometimes before you pick them, then they have no veil, huge thick meaty stems and white/off white gills.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck