Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDJYoshaBYD
Male

Re: Beginner grower, planning a martha grow, ELDERs please share wisdom [Re: DJYoshaBYD]
    #8734608 - 08/06/08 03:56 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

When you can do this with straight verm, please let me know.

ok

3rd flush, b+, 100% straight vermiculite casing... a TRUE casing.. by DEFINITION.. And damn resistant to contams compared to peat..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Re: Beginner grower, planning a martha grow, ELDERs please share wisdom [Re: myceliumman]
    #8734616 - 08/06/08 03:58 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

myceliumman said:
sillicybin,
  What substrate do you colonize?  Do you use WBS or something else?  The 50/50+ looks like a nice casing, I like to eat well too.  Do you follow the 50/50+ Casing Tek
Ryche Hawk's 50/50+ casing tek version 3.1

or something else?  Any other words of wisdom?

I use WBS spawned to coir, and sometimes mix spent coffee grounds or very small amounts of composted chicken manure.  The tub you see above is coir and coffee.

Link to the original thread.

Only other advice:  If you're going to use a filter bag, get one with an injection port, or use a dab of RTV silicone as a makeshift port.  I use RTV and tyvek on all of my jars, and it works very well.

InvisibleDJYoshaBYD
Male

Re: Beginner grower, planning a martha grow, ELDERs please share wisdom [Re: Sillicybin]
    #8734629 - 08/06/08 04:00 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

liquid gasket..  lol.. it'll fix anything..

InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Re: Beginner grower, planning a martha grow, ELDERs please share wisdom [Re: DJYoshaBYD]
    #8734637 - 08/06/08 04:02 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yosha, you did get some decent monsters on flush 3 with the verm layer.  I'm not wholly convinced, though, that you wouldn't have had the same results without any casing at all.  I'm wishing you had some pictures of the original first flush pinset....

InvisibleDJYoshaBYD
Male

Re: Beginner grower, planning a martha grow, ELDERs please share wisdom [Re: Sillicybin]
    #8734659 - 08/06/08 04:07 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I know.. I didnt get a camera phone till then.. but Im getting a nice digi soon, and need to do a full set of pics for my grow-tek-journal-thing.. I will have some more pics of the next flushes when I get the camera.. those pics are actually pretty old, and practice with coir has only made things better.. I currently have 3 quart jars of my B+, and 3 quarts of another strain I isolated recently.. Im going to do the same thing.. straight coir cased with straight vermiculite.. Ive only been using coir as a substrate for a year, but I have been using straight verm casings for a long while..

again.. The only real benefit to using peat in your casing is it tells you when to mist cause it changes color.. It has nutrients, which give any contam more than a fighting chance to come in and take over.. vermiculite doesnt have this problem.. I have never had a single spec of trich on any of my casing layers..

Offlinemyceliumman
Stranger

#8735887 - 08/06/08 08:26 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Sillycibin why don't you use the 50/50+ mix, and what if I am using automated cool mist/ultra sonic martha do I still mist?  I thought that was supposed to take care of misting for you.  I am sorry I am so new, I am just trying to figure it out.  I want to use a mix casing, I do not like just verm, I would like to try something else.  The 50/50+ seems popular, after I inoculate the jars of WBS what is the next step in transferring the mycelium spawn into a tray.  I have to spawn the inoculated grain jar into a substrate, would this be the 50/50+?  I am slightly confused on the whole casing process, and how to transfer the mycelium from the jar through the incubation period to have the spawn in a fruiting tray. I am slightly confused, can you guys help?

Offlinemyceliumman
Stranger

#8736042 - 08/06/08 08:54 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Do I have a layer of 50/50+ under my inoculated substrate?  I know I have 1/2"-5/8" of 50/50+ over my even layer of inoculated substrate.  Does anyone have any opinions on good incubator designs?

Offlinemyceliumman
Stranger

Re: Beginner grower, planning a martha grow, ELDERs please share wisdom [Re: myceliumman]
    #8736162 - 08/06/08 09:15 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Are amazonians hard to grow?

Offlinesomestupidnewbie
Stranger
 User Gallery

#8736243 - 08/06/08 09:31 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

a cube is a cube is a cube.

Especially if you are using multispore.  You could get 3 different strains, inoculate at the same time, and if you don't label the jars, you won't know one from the other.  When the mushrooms grow and fruit, unless it's a mutant strain like Penis Envy, you can't tell the difference.  A cube is a cube is a cube.  Grab whichever strain name appeals to you and grow it.  If you get deep enough into the hobby to start controlling the genetics through cloning and isolation, that's where the strain differences come into play.  You'd have to ask someone who works with agar to explain that, because I'm still not sure how that whole "isolation" thing plays out, either.  I'm definetly interested, but I'd like to get past 3 successful pftek grows and a fruiting (yet wholly unimpressive) couple of teeny-tiny coir casings before biting into that apple.

I flipped a coin or four, and came back with koh samuai, pesa, pink buffalo, and B+.  They all acted, looked, grew, and for the most part, tripped, the same.  I did notice more potency from the koh samuai, but that can be explained away by genetics... I just got lucky on a cake, is all.

--------------------

Edited by somestupidnewbie (08/06/08 09:32 PM)

Invisiblepsylopsycho
Motivational Speaker
Male

Loc: The Tundra
Re: Beginner grower, planning a martha grow, ELDERs please share wisdom [Re: somestupidnewbie]
    #8736436 - 08/06/08 10:10 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

somestupidnewbie said:

You could get 3 different strains, inoculate at the same time, and if you don't label the jars, you won't know one from the other.  When the mushrooms grow and fruit, unless it's a mutant strain like Penis Envy, you can't tell the difference.  A cube is a cube is a cube. 

Not true.

I can definitely tell a difference between my B+ & my buddy's Ban Phang Ka. My B+ are running about 6 inches long, while the Ban Phang Ka's are right at 13 inches. Smallest fruit is around 9 inches.

I can tell a difference between my Orissa & my buddy's Huatala.

There are alot of differences between strains.

Yes they are the same species but the characteristics are much different in some.

--------------------

Someone actually said: "some 1 told me to try long brown rice and water and vermiculite and pressure cook for 1 hour i did but nothing happen that is y was wonting to no if i need spores ""

InvisibleKrez
RamRod
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8736883 - 08/06/08 11:34 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DJYoshaBYD said:
Quote:

When you can do this with straight verm, please let me know.

ok

3rd flush, b+, 100% straight vermiculite casing... a TRUE casing.. by DEFINITION.. And damn resistant to contams compared to peat..

DJ you need to get a new digital camera!!!  :calledajoke:

--------------------
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.  (Homer)

Look, the thing about my family is there's five of us. Marge, Bart, Girl Bart, the one who doesn't talk, and the fat guy. How I loathe him. (Drunk Homer)

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not. (Tyler Durden)

Offlinemyceliumman
Stranger

Re: Beginner grower, planning a martha grow, ELDERs please share wisdom [Re: Krez]
    #8738583 - 08/07/08 11:34 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

okay...I am about to begin ordering equipment today.  It seems like PF cakes just do not really "take the cake" pardon the pun.  Can an elder whom doesn't use cakes break down their system for me.  I know I can read it, I have been, I just like personal communication.
  I want to do bins, seems like you actually get a tangible amount of goombas.  Well anyways.....let me know!

InvisibleDJYoshaBYD
Male

#8738608 - 08/07/08 11:40 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

haha... that was taken with a bucket ass camera phone.. lol..

Quote:

Can an elder whom doesn't use cakes break down their system for me.

yessssiiirrr.. this is everything I do from beginning to end with WBS for spawn and coir as a bulk substrate.. It will at least give you more of an idea of what you want to do..

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8598399/an/0/page/0

Your martha will NOT need to be misted.. If you fill up the whole martha with trays, and let the cool mist run 24/7, the humidity provided from all the moist substrate, casing, and the coolmist will keep the RH up where you need it..

I actually never even run an ultra sonic in mine.. with my martha full and the cool mist on, RH stays around 90%.. and, of course, FAE is taken care of for you..

Edited by DJYoshaBYD (08/07/08 11:42 AM)

InvisibleDJYoshaBYD
Male

#8738635 - 08/07/08 11:46 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

here is a shitty pic of my martha when I first built it a year ago.. thats a tray of the B+.. As you can see, I had the cool mist inside the martha, which worked well, but it was too much of a hassle to refill.. I have sinced moved it outside and piped it into the top... I actually figured out by accident that keeping the martha full would keep the RH up.. at first, I was using a bucket of damp pumice to keep it up.. then, when I filled it up with all of the trays, then it was at 100%, which was too much.. I took the bucket out, and left the trays, and it stays ~90% RH.. you cant really see, but there is actually another shelf, giving me 3 shelves to work with.. I dont use the bottom shelf though..

Edited by DJYoshaBYD (08/07/08 11:49 AM)

OfflinePowerOfTheCoir
Newbie Sympathizer
Male User Gallery

Re: Beginner grower, planning a martha grow, ELDERs please share wisdom [Re: psylopsycho]
    #8738695 - 08/07/08 11:59 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

psylopsycho said:
Quote:

somestupidnewbie said:

You could get 3 different strains, inoculate at the same time, and if you don't label the jars, you won't know one from the other.  When the mushrooms grow and fruit, unless it's a mutant strain like Penis Envy, you can't tell the difference.  A cube is a cube is a cube. 

Not true.

I can definitely tell a difference between my B+ & my buddy's Ban Phang Ka. My B+ are running about 6 inches long, while the Ban Phang Ka's are right at 13 inches. Smallest fruit is around 9 inches.

I can tell a difference between my Orissa & my buddy's Huatala.

There are alot of differences between strains.

Yes they are the same species but the characteristics are much different in some.

I can definately tell the difference between my Golden Teachers and many pics of Golden Teachers on this site. The reason that people keep on saying that there is no difference between the strains is that the variation WITHIN the strains is just as extreme as the variation BETWEEN the strains. If you were to post un-labeled pics of the B+, BPK, OI, and Huatala grows, could knowledgable people reliably tell which pic belongs to which strain?

I'm not totally in the "cube is a cube" camp, but I do think that strain name on a syringe is often a poor predictor of what the final fruits will look like. PE, KS, Albinos, and Redspores (and maybe OI) are exceptions, but most of the others just seem like the names and descriptions could be randomly rearranged and no one would ever know the difference. It kind of reminds me of the experiemnt where horoscopes are given to one group at random and the other by the correct birthday. Both groups always feel equally impressed at their accuracy.

I really wish the shroomery would open a cube sub-strain subforum so that we could try to compare notes on multi-spore grows and look for meaningful patterns between strains. It might even be interesting to conduct some experiment where growers send eachother unlabeled spores, the spores are grown and the results quantified, then the strain names are revealed and we can look to see if unique charactaristics of the grows actually match the charactaristics predicted by the strain name.

--------------------
Check out my first ever TEK!
Shroom capsules with the Cap-M-Quik (pics)

InvisibleDJYoshaBYD
Male

Re: Beginner grower, planning a martha grow, ELDERs please share wisdom [Re: PowerOfTheCoir]
    #8738787 - 08/07/08 12:18 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

people have already established what different strains have what traits.. but it wont really matter, because each spore is different.. even within the same strain, you will get different results with a multispore inoculation..

The reason everyone says a cube is a cube, is because what it likes to eat and live in are the same.. some may grow faster/slower or bigger/smaller than others, but all cubes like the same stuff..

And you would get mixed results with an experiment like that without a control, because everyone grows different.. I you give unlabeled spores to 2 people, and 1 grows on BRF cakes, and another grows on poo/straw in a mono tub, there will be HUGE differences in all aspects of it.. Not to mention the fact that you are not working with an isolated strain to compare to..

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags