Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSparkey_STi
Boomer
 User Gallery

To dry of rye...
    #8737549 - 08/07/08 03:41 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Been on Shroomery.org for 4 years now, tried to grow previously with successful contamination after 6 days.  Now Im back for round two... unsuccessful yet again. 

Trying rye this time (first was PF cakes) with a a few popcorn jars for S&G.

Basically, i did the standard rye tek, PC at 15psi 45min.  Have a 1/8in hole in lids with polyfil.  While PCd had foil over the lids tightly.  Pulled out of PC, let set 4 days (gathered glovebox tools and vacation).  IMO, they felt real dry... i inocd anyway.  So far (3 days) nothing.  Been in temps between 72-76. 

I do have a aquarium heater (bought it before reading you dont NEED em) if thats part of the problem; not having a good incubator.

But anyone have tips for a noobster?  I dont see where i went wrong... im thinking my lids may be in-adequate.  But i ran two sets of test jars (rye tek w/ pc to learn my PC) and they came out dry feeling aswell... i know rye should be rubbery... but idk if this is to dry.

Thanks.

P.S. DONT STAB YOURSELF!  My ghetto glovebox caused me to stab the fuck out of myself... not fun... big needle.  To bad spores arnt psychoactive...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
Re: To dry of rye... [Re: Sparkey_STi]
    #8737594 - 08/07/08 04:34 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

follow this rye prep tek... (scroll down to where rogerrabbit comments,  that's the tek you wana follow)
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6756240/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1/nt/2

so you've been on here for 4 years and only pc'd your grains for 45 mins???  you might be harvesting contams again. pc for 90 mins at 15 psi

you DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT need an incubator!!!!  they will colonize just fine at room temp.

your lids should be okay.  do you have your foil off after you inoculated so that your grains can get their proper gas exchange?

and what do you mean the rye felt dry??  you should not be touching your rye after you pc it!  that's asking for trouble

how many cc's did you use to inoculate?

my guess is that your grains water content was off when you inoculated.  but then again its only been three days.  id give it some more time and see what happens.  if nothing after two weeks start over and follow that info i posted for you.

InvisibleLoveOverAll
HigherSpiritEvolving
 User Gallery

Re: To dry of rye... [Re: blood4blood]
    #8737830 - 08/07/08 07:22 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i would leave the foil on, in some cases it will dry out without that add protection.

InvisibleDJYoshaBYD
Male

Re: To dry of rye... [Re: LoveOverAll]
    #8738472 - 08/07/08 11:03 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

do NOT use an incubator.. you dont need it.. at all.. room temp is kosher..

your lids are fine.. just fine.. but like homeboi said.. you still got the foil on? It needs to be off to allow gas exchange..

if you are noc'ing up from spores, then it will take longer.. I have had spores take up to 2 weeks to germinate and show growth..

as a general rule of thumb, minimum PC time should be at LEAST 1 hour at 15 psi.. yes.. people get away with less, but 1 hour will give you a better insurance

OfflineSparkey_STi
Boomer
 User Gallery

Re: To dry of rye... [Re: DJYoshaBYD]
    #8739770 - 08/07/08 04:25 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yea, been here that long... reading on different info, not always just rye PC times is why i chose 45... it was in the Tek i used.

I didnt play with any of the jars... i use control jars with my incubating jars.  I broke the control jar (a jar PC'd and all but not inocd) open and messed with it.

Yes the foils off...

Next time i'll PC for longer, and do the other rye tek.  Sounds like i just wait it out and hope for the best...

And i used PLENTY of CC's... My not so great glovebox (VERY restrictive movement) caused me to give upwords of 1.1 - 1.2cc's per jar and they are like the smallest jars available...

Will try again after i get a pos pressure box built...

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8741401 - 08/07/08 10:46 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Save your money, they suck.  Get a $7 storage tote and cut two holes in it for your arms.  Wear latex gloves and go to work.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineSparkey_STi
Boomer
 User Gallery

Re: To dry of rye... [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8742153 - 08/08/08 01:16 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

As in not sealed off gloves?  Cause thats kinda what i did... got a large tote, cut holes, taped some gloves in it... but the gloves were a bit small for my fat hands.  But your saying to just cut larger holes so theres a bit of room around my arms, wear reg sterile latex gloves and work?

OfflineSparkey_STi
Boomer
 User Gallery

#8742201 - 08/08/08 01:34 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

nvm, watched video's in your sig and i see... thanks.

OfflineSparkey_STi
Boomer
 User Gallery

#8765716 - 08/12/08 11:11 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

BUMP...

Read RogerRabbits rye thing and quick dumb question... the coffee's supposed to be made coffee right?  Also, any preference?

OfflineBennyProfane
Alcoholic Pseudointellectual
Male

#8765829 - 08/12/08 11:39 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

Save your money, they suck.  Get a $7 storage tote and cut two holes in it for your arms.  Wear latex gloves and go to work.
RR

I wish I could rate you twice, three times, a MILLION times.  I have had a 100% contam rate at this point and you continually point me in the right direction.
This is the exact setup I use, simple storage tote with 2 holes cut out.
I was thinking of wasting money upgarding 2 something like the above poster states (which couldn't hurt) but since I have RR's seal of approval on it, I will continue to use my simple still air box and improve my sterility procedures elsewhere.
I know when I am successful at growing anything, RR is at least half the reason.
Don't mean to hijack a thread.  Just wanted to praise RR somemore.

--------------------
All of my posts are completely fictional.  I post info and pics stolen from other sources because I wan't to appear to be cool to others.

Pity makes suffering contagious - Nietzsche

Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously! - Nietzsche

Convictions are more dangerous to the truth than lies - Nietzsche

There was only one Christian, and he died on the cross for his own sins - Nietzsche

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
    #8766288 - 08/13/08 01:34 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Sparkey_STi said:
Been on Shroomery.org for 4 years now, tried to grow previously with successful contamination after 6 days.  Now Im back for round two... unsuccessful yet again. 

Every time I hear someone diss popcorn I want to smackem in the face with my avatar.
Anywho, PC for at least an hour next time. I wouldn't do 45 min with any grain. I'd noc them up before 3 days too. 3 days and no germination, if you used multispore don't fret. Just keep everything clean you should be good. 72-76 is good temp for colonizing... just be patient and keep things clean you'll be good.

--------------------

OfflineSparkey_STi
Boomer
 User Gallery

Re: To dry of rye... [Re: ray40cal]
    #8768579 - 08/13/08 02:40 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Lol, it wasnt a thread jack... good to know it works for others.  But yea, after re-doing research (i write shit down alot... found half of it out-dated/wrong due to not checking sources!) and reading mostly RR's post, im getting my room set up for try two with Pink Buffalos.  Im doing two LC, 4 Jars.

And im not dissing popcorn... i just kinda fudged it up a bit, so i decided to go with it anyway.  My friend grew his on popcorn, he's the one that told me bout it.

But to reiterate... Coffee is supposed to be pre-brewed, not granular correct?

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
Re: To dry of rye... [Re: ray40cal]
    #8768940 - 08/13/08 03:52 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ray40cal said:
Quote:

Sparkey_STi said:

Every time I hear someone diss popcorn I want to smackem in the face with my avatar.

I'm not sure how you think that's a diss.

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

#8768955 - 08/13/08 03:55 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I didn't think he used coffee in the preparation of rye berries. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Are you talking about rye seed for growing sclerotia? I think he uses coffee for that...

Maybe I'm remembering in error.

OfflineSparkey_STi
Boomer
 User Gallery

Re: To dry of rye... [Re: Mad River]
    #8769656 - 08/13/08 05:50 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

My rye tek:
Measure out your organic rye berries from a health food store, one cup for each quart jar you intend to make. Place them in a large pot. Rinse the heck out of them. Fill the pot with hot tap water, shake and swirl it around and pour it out. Do this three or four times until the water you pour out is clear. You'll be able to see when you have nice clean water to pour off instead of water filled with chaff and dirt. You want to now cover the rye berries with three times as much hot tap water as you have rye. Use half coffee and half plain water. In other words, if you have two inches of rye in the bottom of your pan, you should have six inches of water/coffee above that, for a total of 8 inches.

Add 1/4 teaspoon per cup of rye of gypsum. Stir these into the water/grain well. Cover and leave this to sit for 24-36 hours. Don't freak out if you go 48 hours and it smells like it's fermenting. No problem. Stir well and set the pot on the stove. Bring to a boil. Boil for ten minutes, then, WHILE BOILING, drain the contents through a very large colander. (spaghetti strainer) If you're making a large batch, you may need more than one colander. Tip the colander side to side to get the rye to drain as much of the water as you can. Then, shake the colander in order to 'toss' the grain. This will cause a lot of steam to rise from your rye. Great. Do this a time or two, then let it sit for five minutes, then repeat. When all the moisture that will drip or evaporate from your rye has already done so, load your jars. The rye should look and feel nearly dry to the touch when you load the jars. All the moisture you need is inside the grain. Fill jars no more than 2/3 full if they are to receive grain to grain transfers, or no more than 3/4 full if they are to be inoculated by spore syringe or agar wedge. Use a lid with a synthetic filter disk, polyfill, tyvek or similar. Cover with foil and PC the jars for at least 90 minutes at 15lbs. When the jars are cool, they're ready to inoculate.
RR

Thats what i read... just says "Rye".  I assume since i was linked to it, he was refering to berrys...

Thanks...

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

#8770052 - 08/13/08 07:09 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Interesting. Yeah, that's definitely rye berries. I wonder why he doesn't use coffee in the videos. RR?

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Re: To dry of rye... [Re: Mad River]
    #8772325 - 08/14/08 08:23 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Ok. After searching it becomes obvious that RR definitely recommends soaking in 50% strength coffee for much faster colonization.

Offlinevater
LOST
 User Gallery

#8772371 - 08/14/08 08:47 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

RR

--------------------
GRIM GOPHER the great shroom hunter.
Coming in a theater near you.
Rated R

OfflineSparkey_STi
Boomer
 User Gallery

Re: To dry of rye... [Re: vater]
    #8773008 - 08/14/08 12:28 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks... and; thats fresh brewed... or like instant coffee?

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

#8773997 - 08/14/08 04:56 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Fresh brewed. And I believe, by 50% it means that your soak should be 50% prepared coffee, and 50% water.

I think. I hope.

Since that's what I did today. :grin:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates