Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDafonDantes
Wizard
Male User Gallery

I've settled on a game plan
    #8728477 - 08/05/08 11:07 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I am a total noob to this hobby, but I am very meticulous and love to study things. After quite a bit of research I have settled on a method that I think will bring me some success.

Step 1. Use Docs WBS tek EXACTLY to prepare and inoculate 10 or so jars of B+, in my small bathroom after total sterilization. Im even taping the cracks in the door to prevent any airborne contaminants from entering after I spray the fuck out of everything with oust and wash down the surfaces with alcohol. Using a mask, gloves.

Step 2. Incubate inoculated jars above the fridge in a black trash bag, monitoring temperature to keep it around 80-85 degrees. Shake at 20% colonization.

*Question: How many times do I need to shake at 20% colonization? Just once?

Step 3. Set up the terrarium. Its going to be a simple see through tub, with a plexiglass window cut into the top (maybe) and a thermometer/hygrometer just chilling in there. It just needs to hold about 3 trays. Set up 2-3 blue light lamps (I read blue light was the optimal wavelength) around the tub. No timer, just plug in lamps with blue bulbs.

Step 4. Once 100% colonized, dunk because B+ apparently fruits large and thus requires substantial hydration.

*Question: Should I even dunk the WBS substrate? Using docs method I will be simmering the fully filtered WBS for optimal hydration. I figured to be safe I would, but what do you guys think?

Step 5. Use casing 101 tek in combination with 50/50 casing tek. (Mostly casing 101, Im just going to use jiffy mix). Once again taping closed the the doors to the restroom and fully sterilizing the shit out of myself and the bathroom. Sterilize each layer with a hydrogen peroxide/water mix.

Step 6. Sterilize the terrarium, and incubate the foil-covered casing trays in there so I can see them, without the perlite. Keep at room temperature (10 degrees or so cooler than jar incubation temp) until I begin to see the mycelium overtake the casing in several spots (3-4 days I hear)

*Question: Should I use perlite in this step? It feels like the moisture from the sterilized, moist casing layer and the foil covering should be enough to keep moisture in through the incubation.

Step 7. Once the mycelium has spread throughout the casing, take out the trays, wrap in black garbage bags, and stick in fridge for 4-6 hours to initiate fruiting.

Step 8. While the trays are in the fridge, re sterilize the terrarium and everything thats going in it. Put a layer of 3/4 inch fresh, hydrated perlite on the bottom of the tank. (Using perlite humidification tek as a reference).

Step 9. Take trays out of the fridge and put into the room-temperature terrarium fruiting chamber. Let sit, shining blue light on them for 12 hour intervals. This whole rig will probably be in my dark closet.

*Question: Do I need to further cool the terrarium or will refrigerating the trays be enough to initiate and maintain fruiting?

Step 10. Wait for fruiting and pray I didnt fuck up.

Thats about it, I think its a pretty well thought out game plan, but Im noobish so I may be mistaken. I expect this to take around 1.5-2 months, does that sound accurate?

If anyone has anything at all to say about this technique, please chime in. Anything at all.

Id LOVE to hear what some of you experienced shroomlords have to say about it.

:sunny:

edit: To increase the number of jars I'll be preparing to account for contam/whatever fuck ups

--------------------

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - J.R.R. Tolkien

"Go, then. There are other worlds than this." - Stephen King

*THE ABOVE POST IS ENTIRELY FICTITIOUS*

Edited by DafonDantes (08/05/08 11:09 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: I've settled on a game plan [Re: DafonDantes]
    #8728500 - 08/05/08 11:14 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I recommend not dunking the WBS itself, but once you have your trays 100% colonized and ready to fruit. Dunk them, then case, and then place them in the FC.

--------------------

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #8728539 - 08/05/08 11:24 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

• 1) Shake jars of spawn enough to distribute the mycelium. More than that is just undue stress.

2) It sounds as though you are spawning to bulk. If this is the case, do not dunk your spawn first. You're going to crumble it up into a substrate.

3) No perlite until you introduce fruiting conditions.

4) Refrigeration has nothing to do with "cold shocking". This got all screwed up from people who do not read. Cubes are tropical anyway, and it doesn't get down to 46 deg. in Peru.

5) 5" to 6", 3/4" will not do anything.

6) FC temperatures should be about five degrees cooler than incubation temperatures. THIS is cold shocking.

I hope all goes well with your endeavour! :goodluck:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

OfflineDafonDantes
Wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: I've settled on a game plan [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8728764 - 08/05/08 12:21 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks MHbound and BrandNewbie, that answers my questions.

Anyone else want to chime in on this growing method? Anyone use something similar or exactly like it?

Does it sound *good*?

edit: Another quick question. MHbound mentioned that I should wait for the substrate trays to incubate and colonize BEFORE I case.

I always thought I had to case them as soon as I pulled them out of the jars, THEN incubate.

--------------------

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Edited by DafonDantes (08/05/08 12:25 PM)

Invisibleseven
Male

Loc: north carolina
    #8728946 - 08/05/08 01:04 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

im sorta starting out like you but i plan to spawn the wbs to coco coir. then case in deep roasting tins.  you should read about it. its an easy way to bulk up your project. i havent read much about fruiting directly from WBS. but i think i read somewhere that it isnt very fruitfull. not sure...

--------------------
grind

InvisibleDJYoshaBYD
Male

Re: I've settled on a game plan [Re: seven]
    #8729004 - 08/05/08 01:16 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds good.. buuuttt

Quote:

Im even taping the cracks in the door to prevent any airborne contaminants from entering after I spray the fuck out of everything with oust and wash down the surfaces with alcohol. Using a mask, gloves.

WAAAYYYY too much.. you are not using a live grain transfer.. You arent opening the jars.. so there is no need to sterilize a WHOLE ROOM.. lol.. just flame sterlize and alcohol wipe the needle, and you are good.. for sure keep fans off, and give the air and table/counter you are working on a good misting with lysol, dont breath on them (a mask works fine).. make sure you wash your hands and wear clean clothes.. this stuff becomes WAAAAAAY more important when you are doing live grain transfers and agar, as the growth medium is exposed to the atmosphere..

Invisiblethemange
Senior Citizen
Male

#8729009 - 08/05/08 01:18 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

when it comes to bulk,dont dunk anything untill after you have a flush. dunking before your first flush could only benefit you if your spawn took a long time to colonize your substrate and dried out in the mean time.

also, reconsider using jiffy and just use a layer of waxpaper. this way, after your first flush, you dont have to scrape off the casing layer first. just search "waxpaper" for a more detailed explanation.

theres no need to be so sterile as to tape the door seal, there is always going to be lots of airborne particles no matter what you do.

practice sterile inoculation! where you do it doesnt matter.

i wipe down my injection port with alcohol, flame sterilize my needle, and inject. i do this in open air in my kitchen and havent had problems with this in years.

all you need to worry about during inoculation:

is my spore solution sterile?

is my substrate/spawn sterile?

if yes, then sterilize your needle, wipe down your inoculation point with 70% isopropyl alcohol, and inject.

last note: lowered temperatures for fruiting cubensis mushrooms are not necessary. this is a misconception. i promise you that as long as you keep your temps at 77-82 degrees throughout colonization and fruiting, everything will be grand. cold shocking does NOTHING. lowered temperatures DO NOT help initiate pinning.

Invisibleseven
Male

Loc: north carolina
Re: I've settled on a game plan [Re: themange]
    #8729048 - 08/05/08 01:24 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

if you worry about contams during inoculation, make a still air glovebox. you can even use a clear trashbag or cardboard box with holes in it. im sure there is lots of posts about it.

--------------------
grind

OfflineDafonDantes
Wizard
Male User Gallery

#8729143 - 08/05/08 01:45 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Gotcha. I figured it may be too much, especially with just one injection hole filled with polyfill. But everyone was stressing total sterility and how incredibly important it was...and I HATE wasting my time.

But yeah, I'll chill with the sterilization business some.

--------------------

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
    #8729203 - 08/05/08 01:57 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Search Hyphaes pinning strategy...Thats the wax paper tek.

I dunk right after my first flush. I guess I didn't mention that. Your casing layer will add a little moisture to the mix until you dunk it for the second flush.

--------------------

InvisibleDJYoshaBYD
Male

Re: I've settled on a game plan [Re: MHbound]
    #8729259 - 08/05/08 02:08 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Search Hyphaes pinning strategy...Thats the wax paper tek.

use every piece of info from that tek possible, and use it

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/3290155#3290155

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck