Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNexusOne
Stranger
Re: Sterilizing jars: Cooling question [Re: Ledd]
    #8718685 - 08/03/08 04:56 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry for dredging up an old thread, but here goes, anyway:

Quote:

Ledbonzo86 said:To lovely NexusOne, this is the second thread I've seen you in complaining about other people's answers haha!

Show a little bit of respect. Maybe you don't mean to sound so, but you come across as bitter.

I just love the connotations in that horribly formed sentence, but this isn't really the proper place to take up personal grievances, so I'll go ahead and ignore that.

Quote:

Ledbonzo86 said:So no Nexus, you don't have to wait until they are cool to the touch to remove them. You wait until they are cool to the touch to inoculate them.

I started to write that it was safe to move the jars as soon as you can handle them with a pot holder, but I figured my statement about direct exposure to the heat of the jar being the only risk involved was probably sufficient to get that point across and I didn't need to confuse the issue anymore.  Apparently I overestimated your powers of deduction, so I apologize for that.

Quote:

Ledbonzo86 said:OP: your jars will be fine. You don't need a sterile shoe box for storage, but all the power to ya for taking extra precaution. Just remember the longer they sit without being knocked up, the longer other bacteria have to get a foot-hold and take over.

"Other bacteria?"  I didn't really get the impression he was trying to grow bacteria.  And as long as the jars are properly sterilized and exposure to contaminants is limited (i.e., the inoculation holes are covered and the jars are not stored in a breezy, contaminant loaded location) he has plenty of time.  In fact, allowing the jars to sit for a week or two will let you know with pretty good confidence whether contaminants are present.

An acquaintance of mine once sterilized a batch of about 45 jars, except that he forgot to sterilize one set of them and then he forgot which set hadn't been sterilized (my acquaintance is not terribly bright).  A week later it was obvious which jars hadn't been sterilized.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegompers
The Gimp
Male

Loc: East Coast
Re: Sterilizing jars: Cooling question [Re: NexusOne]
    #8719137 - 08/03/08 10:20 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

you foamin, bro?

--------------------
chris606 said:
some 1 told me to try long brown rice and water and vermiculite and pressure cook for 1 hour i did but nothing happen that is y was wonting to no if i need spores

Offlinewillowmp
Medical Psychedelic Mushrooms
Male User Gallery

Re: Sterilizing jars: Cooling question [Re: Phraggle]
    #8719184 - 08/03/08 10:30 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

well i PC'd my jars and waited for the pressure to hit 0 then took out the jars and let them sit until the jars were holdable then took a plastic bin and filled it with enough water to cover half the jars with water then added a little lysol(can never be to safe right?)and plunked the jars in the water. after letting them sit for about 5 minutes i added ice cubes like two big cup-fulls and shook them once in between the ice cube additions to expose the hotter inside.

it got the jars cooled quite fast and because of the gradual process (air to water to ice water) the jars didn't shatter.

--------------------
"Fuck it too much Im outta wittbhjkhbhkjsrglhkrgl g I DEE JEUD."
-Because it made sense on xanax and booze...

Edited by willowmp (08/03/08 10:31 AM)

OfflineNexusOne
Stranger
Re: Sterilizing jars: Cooling question [Re: willowmp]
    #8722487 - 08/04/08 01:39 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

A clever method, as long as you're careful to control the speed of the energy transfer.  I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, though.

OfflineBennyProfane
Alcoholic Pseudointellectual
Male

Re: Sterilizing jars: Cooling question [Re: Phraggle]
    #8722777 - 08/04/08 04:04 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Phraggle said:
If the two of you have tons of bacteria growing in your fridges, then why don't you clean it out? If its really not safe for spawn (which I assume you are protecting with some tyvek or polyfill or something) then its probably not safe for food either. I dunk cakes and keep spawn in my fridge all the time. I never have a contam problem. My fridge is not spotless, but it is pretty clean. I wouldn't eat food out of a fridge that wasn't clean enough to put spawn jars in.

Really stupid fucking question that I'm sure I probably already know the answer to but I'll ask it anyway.  I just moved into this place I'm living at now and I don't know what the dude before me used the fridge for but I never cleaned it out and I store all my  spore syringes in the veggie crisper.  They are all still unopened in the original zip lock bag.  Could this cause any contam problem with the syringes?
Like I said, stupid question, I'm pretty sure that even if the walls of my fridge were coated with mold I would be good but since I've shown a 100% contam rate with my spawn jars thus far, I want to make sure to eliminmate any sources of contams before I try again.

--------------------
All of my posts are completely fictional.  I post info and pics stolen from other sources because I wan't to appear to be cool to others.

Pity makes suffering contagious - Nietzsche

Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously! - Nietzsche

Convictions are more dangerous to the truth than lies - Nietzsche

There was only one Christian, and he died on the cross for his own sins - Nietzsche

OfflineBennyProfane
Alcoholic Pseudointellectual
Male

Re: Sterilizing jars: Cooling question [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8722885 - 08/04/08 05:40 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

BrandNewbie said:
If you were growing in your OWN house, I would say that you can take the jars out to cool, as long as you kept them in a sterile environment. A glove box, or even a cardboard box that was sprayed with Lysol first. The thing is, when the jars are cooling, the jar to room temperature difference causes the cooling jars to "inhale" outside air, AND any contaminants in that air.

If you were growing "active" mushrooms in someone else's house, I would say; SHAME ON YOU!

I am no expert but I've taken a few chem classes in my day and I would think the temp diff would cause jars to EXHALE (trying to get rid of excess steam that is not even noticable 2 the eye).

--------------------
All of my posts are completely fictional.  I post info and pics stolen from other sources because I wan't to appear to be cool to others.

Pity makes suffering contagious - Nietzsche

Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously! - Nietzsche

Convictions are more dangerous to the truth than lies - Nietzsche

There was only one Christian, and he died on the cross for his own sins - Nietzsche

Offlinewillowmp
Medical Psychedelic Mushrooms
Male User Gallery

Re: Sterilizing jars: Cooling question [Re: BennyProfane]
    #8723396 - 08/04/08 09:55 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

hmm that is interesting about the jars inhaling or exhaling. i think where he is coming from when he says they inhale is that hot air like the air inside the jar out of the PC has expanded. as it cools it shrinks and this causes more air to be drawn in.

i really am not sure if air expands as it heats but i think it does. don't quote me on it though.

--------------------
"Fuck it too much Im outta wittbhjkhbhkjsrglhkrgl g I DEE JEUD."
-Because it made sense on xanax and booze...

Offlinebootedboy
SpaceCowboy
 User Gallery

Re: Sterilizing jars: Cooling question [Re: willowmp]
    #8723443 - 08/04/08 10:07 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

air does expand as it is heated, this is physics. So after the air reaches a certain temp your jars begin to inhale. I always wait 24 hours before knocking up my jars; if RR says so, take his advice. Also if your jars can't last 24 hours without getting a contam there is no way they will last the full colonization period. Finally, shame on the thread starter for growing in your parents house.

--------------------
Ask me about ARX!!!

InvisibleLedd
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Innerspace Flag
Re: Sterilizing jars: Cooling question [Re: bootedboy]
    #8725153 - 08/04/08 03:51 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Nexusone: :grammarnazi:

--------------------
We mean nothing we do not mean to do.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds