Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBennyProfane
Alcoholic Pseudointellectual
Male

Upgrading to an All American PC
    #8710714 - 08/01/08 03:19 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

What's the difference between a pressure cooker and a pressure canner?  All the models of the same size are the exact same price. I don't understand what the difference is though.  What is best for what I'm gonna use it for?  I want something that will work well for spawn bags and jars.

--------------------
All of my posts are completely fictional.  I post info and pics stolen from other sources because I wan't to appear to be cool to others.

Pity makes suffering contagious - Nietzsche

Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously! - Nietzsche

Convictions are more dangerous to the truth than lies - Nietzsche

There was only one Christian, and he died on the cross for his own sins - Nietzsche

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
Re: Upgrading to an All American PC [Re: BennyProfane]
    #8710732 - 08/01/08 03:29 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Canner/cooker, potato/spud, same thing.  The All Americans do not use the big gasket that needs replacing. They are a better buy, it's just that some of us "have a budget", (whatever the hell that is), and have to wait for our All American Mack Daddy monster cooker/canner!

Of course there are those on this site who occasionally like to post pictures of their MULTIPLE All Americans hard at work... :bowdown:

Congratulations if you're moving up. You'll save time and repairs. :congrats:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

InvisibleKrez
RamRod
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Upgrading to an All American PC [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8710754 - 08/01/08 03:45 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

God I hate budgets!

--------------------
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.  (Homer)

Look, the thing about my family is there's five of us. Marge, Bart, Girl Bart, the one who doesn't talk, and the fat guy. How I loathe him. (Drunk Homer)

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not. (Tyler Durden)

OfflineBennyProfane
Male

Re: Upgrading to an All American PC [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8710778 - 08/01/08 04:03 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

BrandNewbie said:
Canner/cooker, potato/spud, same thing.  The All Americans do not use the big gasket that needs replacing. They are a better buy, it's just that some of us "have a budget", (whatever the hell that is), and have to wait for our All American Mack Daddy monster cooker/canner!

Of course there are those on this site who occasionally like to post pictures of their MULTIPLE All Americans hard at work... :bowdown:

Congratulations if you're moving up. You'll save time and repairs. :congrats:

I'm about to click okay on my order for a 25 quart all american pressure CANNER.  I'm just a bit concerned.  I dont understand why if there is no difference they have the canners and cookers in different sections.

--------------------
All of my posts are completely fictional.  I post info and pics stolen from other sources because I wan't to appear to be cool to others.

Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously! - Nietzsche

There was only one Christian, and he died on the cross for his own sins - Nietzsche

OfflineBennyProfane
Male

#8710802 - 08/01/08 04:30 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, just submitted my order.  25 quart all american pc for $231 including shipping.  anyone wanna buy a 16 quart presto off me?  I have no use for it anymore:):D:)

--------------------

Offlinejohnuk
Strangerlove
    #8710921 - 08/01/08 06:40 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Cookers that you put on the stove can't regulate the heat input, so they regulate the pressure inside (and so steam temperature) by blowing off steam once it reaches a certain pressure - thus preventing the cooker from exploding but also causing it to dry out if left on the heat.

A canner with it's own electric element is much, much nicer. The element simply senses the water temperature inside and shuts off when it's at a certain point (and so pressure). Steam doesn't need blowing off when you do it this way, so the canner will happily sit there for days at temperature and not dry out at all. For things I really want super clean, I've left mine on a timer and had it turn on for a few hours each day for two or so days. The only time you loose water is when you vent the steam and open it.

As Roger Rabbit suggests, USE GREASE on the canner to lid seal and on the latches that lock it in place. These WILL stick if you don't and you'll end up pounding it with a hammer. Which works, but I've also snapped latches doing this.

An element based canner is far better than the cooker top pressure cookers. You'll love it, don't stress over the cost too much.

InvisibleAlabama Slim
Chinese river witch

. [Re: BennyProfane]
    #8711123 - 08/01/08 08:35 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Edited by Alabama Slim (02/05/12 11:40 AM)

OfflineSpin_Dr
Shroom Tester
Male User Gallery

#8711527 - 08/01/08 10:55 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Prsure cookers are much smaller than canners are but a canner can be used to cook with as well. Overall, the only difference is size.

--------------------
The Spin Dr.

I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.

OfflineBennyProfane
Male

Re: Upgrading to an All American PC [Re: Alabama Slim]
    #8714294 - 08/01/08 10:27 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Alabama Slim said:
Quote:

BennyProfane said:
Okay, just submitted my order.  25 quart all american pc for $231 including shipping.  anyone wanna buy a 16 quart presto off me?  I have no use for it anymore:):D:)

you really should of checked out ebay first, i found a 22qt pressure cooker for $30, it came from the original owner and was rarely used, when it came i thought it was brand new. to me a pressure cooker is just a pressure cooker as long as it holds pressure and don't blow up your good.

really could of saved some bread

Thanks man but I'm trying to upgrade here.  Thats just like my 16 qt presto, just bigger.  It may not be totally necessary to buy an All American but I've got the money so fuck it, right?

--------------------

Invisiblerugergirl79
lεṡвïαṉ εχτɾøḋïṉ^
 User Gallery

Loc: cardboard box
    #8714315 - 08/01/08 10:35 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

congrats on your All American canner......Lucky you are to have purchased yours brand new!  You will fall in love with it...trust me.  I was fortunate enough to come across one at a local goodwill about a month ago that looked as if it had only been used one or two times.....lucky me i am on a budget!
Yup that says 15$....

OfflineBennyProfane
Male

Re: Upgrading to an All American PC [Re: rugergirl79]
    #8714331 - 08/01/08 10:38 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

rugergirl79 said:
congrats on your All American canner......Lucky you are to have purchased yours brand new!  You will fall in love with it...trust me.  I was fortunate enough to come across one at a local goodwill about a month ago that looked as if it had only been used one or two times.....lucky me i am on a budget!
Yup that says 15$....

$15?!?!  Lucky bastard! Oh well, mine is bigger anyway so:tongue:

--------------------

Invisiblerugergirl79
lεṡвïαṉ εχτɾøḋïṉ^
 User Gallery

#8714339 - 08/01/08 10:41 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

thats ok..i have two retro presto 22 quart pressure cookers that i also got at a thrift store...the all american i have only holds 7 quarts, but it is enough for me....kat

OfflineBennyProfane
Male

#8714358 - 08/01/08 10:52 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

rugergirl79 said:
thats ok..i have two retro presto 22 quart pressure cookers that i also got at a thrift store...the all american i have only holds 7 quarts, but it is enough for me....kat

It's kinda nice being single, having cheap tastes, and living in the ghetto.  I always have the money to throw into this hobby.  The amount of money I've thrown into this hobby is getting ridiculous and guess what? I've yet to produce a single shroomey.  The learning curve is pretty high for this hobby, especially when you decide to skip PFtek and dive head first into LC, grains, and bulk.

--------------------

Invisiblerugergirl79
lεṡвïαṉ εχτɾøḋïṉ^
 User Gallery

#8714366 - 08/01/08 10:56 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

BennyProfane said:

It's kinda nice being single, having cheap tastes, and living in the ghetto.  I always have the money to throw into this hobby.  The amount of money I've thrown into this hobby is getting ridiculous and guess what? I've yet to produce a single shroomey.  The learning curve is pretty high for this hobby, especially when you decide to skip PFtek and dive head first into LC, grains, and bulk.

So true!!!  I have accumulated so much stuff over the last couple of months for this hobby....lol    My next step is to work on my agar skills.  I have ordered some MEA agar from mycosupply and cant wait to get to some isolations....

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
Re: Upgrading to an All American PC [Re: johnuk]
    #8714378 - 08/01/08 11:01 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

johnuk said:
Cookers that you put on the stove can't regulate the heat input, so they regulate the pressure inside (and so steam temperature) by blowing off steam once it reaches a certain pressure - thus preventing the cooker from exploding but also causing it to dry out if left on the heat.

A canner with it's own electric element is much, much nicer. The element simply senses the water temperature inside and shuts off when it's at a certain point (and so pressure). Steam doesn't need blowing off when you do it this way, so the canner will happily sit there for days at temperature and not dry out at all. For things I really want super clean, I've left mine on a timer and had it turn on for a few hours each day for two or so days. The only time you loose water is when you vent the steam and open it.

As Roger Rabbit suggests, USE GREASE on the canner to lid seal and on the latches that lock it in place. These WILL stick if you don't and you'll end up pounding it with a hammer. Which works, but I've also snapped latches doing this.

An element based canner is far better than the cooker top pressure cookers. You'll love it, don't stress over the cost too much.

This is not accurate as far as the difference between cookers/canners. There are electric models that are called pressure cookers, as well.

There really is no difference, and no real naming convention. The ones they call canners tend to generally be larger, that's all.

If I'm wrong, which I could be, it will be the second time this year. :sad:

OfflineBennyProfane
Male

#8714442 - 08/01/08 11:17 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

rugergirl79 said:
Quote:

BennyProfane said:

So true!!!  I have accumulated so much stuff over the last couple of months for this hobby....lol    My next step is to work on my agar skills.  I have ordered some MEA agar from mycosupply and cant wait to get to some isolations....

Ugh...I don't even want to think about agar right now.  I've got enough to deal with.  If I can produce some spawn jars that are not infested with trich, I will be a happy man.  But I got my All American on the way and some new tricks I've learned from this site (I wouldn't have a clue what to do if it wasn't for this site) so hopefully my next try will be more successful.

--------------------

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #8714549 - 08/01/08 11:52 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

"What's the difference between a pressure cooker and a pressure canner?  "

A Pressure cooker usually relies on a weight and goes to 15lbs (psi) , while a canner usually uses a gage and goes safely up to 20 lbs. A stove top canner with no weight must have it's gage religiously watched during the entire heating process, in order to be safe.

In the case of All Americans both may have a stop cock as well. This is to make sure one has wet heat. It is not meant as a safety feature. All pressure cookers and canners should have an emergency safety plug as well.

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
Re: Upgrading to an All American PC [Re: laughingdog]
    #8714586 - 08/02/08 12:01 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Ah. Now that sounds like a good answer.  :farmerdance:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order