Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineEllis Dee
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Duck Hunt, Enemy Enforcer

Loc: Fire in the sky
How the war on drugs began.
    #871035 - 09/09/02 02:55 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Here's a fantastic lecture on the history of drug use in the US, given by Charles Whitebread (Professor of Law at USC) to the California Judges Association in 1995:

It's a long read, but very well worth it. To quote a passage from the description of the Committee debate over the 1937 Marijuana Tax Act (tax act...)
In reply to:

The other piece of medical testimony came from a man named Dr. William C. Woodward. Dr. Woodward was both a lawyer and a doctor and he was Chief Counsel to the American Medical Association. Dr. Woodward came to testify at the behest of the American Medical Association saying, and I quote, "The American Medical Association knows of no evidence that marihuana is a dangerous drug."

What's amazing is not whether that's true or not. What's amazing is what the Congressmen then said to him. Immediately upon his saying, and I quote again, "The American Medical Association knows of no evidence that marihuana is a dangerous drug.", one of the Congressmen said, "Doctor, if you can't say something good about what we are trying to do, why don't you go home?"

That's an exact quote. The next Congressman said, "Doctor, if you haven't got something better to say than that, we are sick of hearing you."

After passing out of committee, the bill was debated on the floor of the House for just over 90 seconds. To quote from the article again,
In reply to:

Speaker Sam Rayburn called for the bill to be passed on "tellers". Does everyone know "tellers"? Did you know that for the vast bulk of legislation in this country, there is not a recorded vote. It is simply, more people walk past this point than walk past that point and it passes -- it's called "tellers". They were getting ready to pass this thing on tellers without discussion and without a recorded vote when one of the few Republicans left in Congress, a guy from upstate New York, stood up and asked two questions, which constituted the entire debate on the national marijuana prohibition.

"Mr. Speaker, what is this bill about?"

To which Speaker Rayburn replied, "I don't know. It has something to do with a thing called marihuana. I think it's a narcotic of some kind."

Undaunted, the guy from Upstate New York asked a second question, which was as important to the Republicans as it was unimportant to the Democrats. "Mr. Speaker, does the American Medical Association support this bill?"

In one of the most remarkable things I have ever found in any research, a guy who was on the committee, and who later went on to become a Supreme Court Justice, stood up and -- do you remember? The AMA guy was named William C. Woodward -- a member of the committee who had supported the bill leaped to his feet and he said, "Their Doctor Wentworth came down here. They support this bill 100 percent." It wasn't true, but it was good enough for the Republicans. They sat down and the bill passed on tellers, without a recorded vote.

And thus was have the beginnings of the War on Drugs.

"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Edited by Ellis Dee (09/09/02 02:58 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan
Re: How the war on drugs began. [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #871047 - 09/09/02 03:08 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

that would be very nice if you could prove it and have evryone hear, i mean really hear and not just get confused or throw it in the apathy pool, or label it as some new pot-head theory propaganda to make them doubt the true government.

Pleasure Doctor
Loc: Your girls pad
Re: How the war on drugs began. [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #871222 - 09/09/02 07:25 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Damn Politicians

"Life without knowledge is death in disguise"
Talib Kweli

Loc: Atlantic Canada
Re: How the war on drugs began. [Re: BboyDevious]
    #871414 - 09/09/02 10:48 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Canadains can blame Emily Murphy and her book 'The Black Candle'. It was published in 1922, one year before marijuana was made illegal. To quote a modern review:

"Towards the middle of her book, The Black Candle stops reading like an anti-drug tract and begins to sound like a Ku Klux Klan manual for protecting Anglo-Saxon supremacy. Indeed, it becomes apparent that Murphy's chief concern about drug use is not the threat of addiction or death, but the fear that "aliens of colour" will "bring about the degeneration of the white race" through traffick in various drugs."

She even has her own Heritage Moment. Bitch.

Remember, it's only true if it makes you laugh...

Edited by Discordja (09/09/02 10:48 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion