Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePhraggle
Psilocybe Therapy Advocate

Playing with PF Tek
    #8708444 - 07/31/08 04:49 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

When I first became interested in growing, it was a close friend of mine was doing it. He introduced me to bulk growing and to the shroomery. Because I jumped into the deep end of the pool, I never tried PF Tek.

Now I have had a few good runs with poo/straw and want to try something different. I figured that PF Tek would be a good way to sample new strains and keep a diverse collection of myk around without it taking up too much time or space.

Today I went hunting for BRF and, like many other people on these boards, I could not find any (I do have one place left to look). It didn't occur to me until later that I could make it with regular brown rice and a coffee grinder. I did grab the closest thing I could find at the time which was white rice flour.

After returning home with this, I read about how people had grown mushrooms using white rice and found they lacked potency. No one seemed to have a direct reason for this, so I did a little searching.

I found that a major difference between brown rice and white rice is that brown rice contains more than twice as much phosphorous as white rice. I then took a look at the molecule psilocybin and found that phosphorous is a key component in it.

I think I am going to take a trip to the garden store later and get some guano with a high phosphorous concentration. Then I'll add varying amounts of it to jars made with WRF. I can test to see if more available P means more potent mushrooms.

Does anyone have personal experience with other types of flour? (I'm not interested in what you may have read only because I probably already read it myself).

--------------------
You'll see me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerisndeath
Stranger

Re: Playing with PF Tek [Re: Phraggle]
    #8708481 - 07/31/08 04:59 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

if you are trying to add more nutrient to your pftek there are many addatives you can add to the mix, i know that if you grind up wild bird seed to a fine powder and substitute it for the brown rice flour you will more then likely have better myc production since wbs has alot more nutrients then BRF, i am currently doing  a pftek and wondering if i should have added more brf to the mix :smile:, although brf is a real slow colonizing substrate compared to others.

--------------------
I am the fakest person on this website all claims made by this account are entierly fictional, i am a loser in real life and i pretend to know everything on this website as a way to increase my self esteem in no way am i contributing to the use of mushrooms or anything said on this forum.

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
Re: Playing with PF Tek [Re: risndeath]
    #8708559 - 07/31/08 05:18 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

You shouldn't play with your food! :wink:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
Re: Playing with PF Tek [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8708629 - 07/31/08 05:35 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

try say 6 jars with brf and 6 with wrf see what happens the brf will probaly give u better results

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

Offlineinfinitespiral
moel

Re: Playing with PF Tek [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #8708645 - 07/31/08 05:40 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

not to hijack but ive been wondering about bat guano as substrate. does anyone have experience with bat guano?  does this work? results? well i guess part of it.  there would be other things too.

Edited by infinitespiral (07/31/08 05:47 PM)

InvisiblePhraggle

Re: Playing with PF Tek [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #8708654 - 07/31/08 05:41 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I will have to try grinding WBS and see what happens. I think I still have some around.

I decided to spare the WRF since I found some food that I can make with it instead.

--------------------
You'll see me.

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
    #8708668 - 07/31/08 05:45 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Phraggle said:
When I first became interested in growing, it was a close friend of mine was doing it. He introduced me to bulk growing and to the shroomery. Because I jumped into the deep end of the pool, I never tried PF Tek.

Now I have had a few good runs with poo/straw and want to try something different. I figured that PF Tek would be a good way to sample new strains and keep a diverse collection of myk around without it taking up too much time or space.

Today I went hunting for BRF and, like many other people on these boards, I could not find any (I do have one place left to look). It didn't occur to me until later that I could make it with regular brown rice and a coffee grinder. I did grab the closest thing I could find at the time which was white rice flour.

After returning home with this, I read about how people had grown mushrooms using white rice and found they lacked potency. No one seemed to have a direct reason for this, so I did a little searching.

I found that a major difference between brown rice and white rice is that brown rice contains more than twice as much phosphorous as white rice. I then took a look at the molecule psilocybin and found that phosphorous is a key component in it.

I think I am going to take a trip to the garden store later and get some guano with a high phosphorous concentration. Then I'll add varying amounts of it to jars made with WRF. I can test to see if more available P means more potent mushrooms.

Does anyone have personal experience with other types of flour? (I'm not interested in what you may have read only because I probably already read it myself).

I find your notes on phosphorus interesting. This may be common knowledge to some, but I am a newb and was unaware of it.

I will say, however, that the B+ that I grew on BRF did not lack anything in potency. They blew my mind like a cheap fuse.

Offlinerisndeath
Stranger

Re: Playing with PF Tek [Re: Mad River]
    #8708691 - 07/31/08 05:50 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

White rice doesnt contain any if at all nutrient level compared to BRF or WBS flour, either use BRF or WBS or some other nutrient rich substrate otherwise colonization times could be affected.

--------------------
I am the fakest person on this website all claims made by this account are entierly fictional, i am a loser in real life and i pretend to know everything on this website as a way to increase my self esteem in no way am i contributing to the use of mushrooms or anything said on this forum.

Offlinesomestupidnewbie
Stranger
 User Gallery

#8708724 - 07/31/08 05:58 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I found dark rye flour at wal-mart, and used that instead of BRF.  It's cheap, and uses the same recipe as BRF.

Only, if you use rye flour, it tends to stick and clump a lot, so what I do is put my verm in a bowl, then the water, then stir that up really good so the verm is totally soaked.  Then, I very slowly add the rye flour a little bit at a time, and stir it in really good before I add the next scoop (I use 1/4 cup measuring cups for the flour) so that it evenly coats the wet vermiculite. I'm no expert on nutrition, but I figured that if so many people I read about love the nutrient content of rye berries, rye flour couldn't be all that bad.

--------------------

InvisiblePhraggle

Re: Playing with PF Tek [Re: Mad River]
    #8709358 - 07/31/08 08:36 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

It was not apparent to me at all. It actually still is not apparent to me since it may not be true. It was just a link that may have nothing to do with it. On the other hand, it would seem rather difficult for mushrooms to form a molecule that requires an atom which is hardly present in the substrate.

--------------------
You'll see me.

InvisiblePhraggle

Re: Playing with PF Tek [Re: risndeath]
    #8709363 - 07/31/08 08:38 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, I'm going to try some WBS flour after researching it a bit more. If I can find some BRF, then I may do a side by side grow.

--------------------
You'll see me.

InvisiblePhraggle

Re: Playing with PF Tek [Re: somestupidnewbie]
    #8709398 - 07/31/08 08:44 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I can not enter the evil consumer mecca for fear that my immortal soul would be stolen, turned into a smiley face sticker and adhered to the drooping, zit riddled breast of some hag who completed more pregnancies than grades by the time she was 18.

Thanks for the tip on adding ingredients gradually. I actually found that useful while learning to cook recently.

I have had good success with WBS before so it makes sense that the flour would be a good base. It also helps that I already have some around.

--------------------
You'll see me.

OfflineMarioTrip
since84
Male

Loc: 69 w/ you
    #8709410 - 07/31/08 08:46 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I can not enter the evil consumer mecca for fear that my immortal soul would be stolen, turned into a smiley face sticker and adhered to the drooping, zit riddled breast of some hag who completed more pregnancies than grades by the time she was 18.

wtfhhahaha:D

--------------------
I'm Livin' It, distribute it
The streets are inhibited
By cut throat niggas just like me
that out there getting dividends

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
    #8709517 - 07/31/08 09:07 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Phraggle said:

Fight the power.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract