Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTameMe
Stranger
Male User Gallery

watching the breath
    #8702520 - 07/30/08 02:10 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

As I try to still my mind and pay attention to my breathing i start to conciously control it. and it feels as if i become short of air doing this.

after awhile though...i "forget" to breathe and start doing it naturally and my racing mind comes back.

i want to be able to breathe naturally and pay attention to it with out thought...but it seems impossible.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Loc: off the wall
Re: watching the breath [Re: TameMe]
    #8702540 - 07/30/08 02:14 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

a good way help keep the breath naturally flowing is to take a few really deep breaths and hold in for 10 seconds before you start meditating.  this can be done during meditation as well if the breath begins messing with your focus.

OfflineTameMe
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: watching the breath [Re: deranger]
    #8702553 - 07/30/08 02:18 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

thanks for the advice. i'll give it a try.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #8702749 - 07/30/08 02:51 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

This helped me, from a book:

"Try waiting for the inbreath and outbreath to emerge, like a cat waiting outside a mouse's hole."

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

InvisibleChronic7

#8702779 - 07/30/08 02:56 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SyntheticMInd said:
a good way help keep the breath naturally flowing is to take a few really deep breaths and hold in for 10 seconds before you start meditating.  this can be done during meditation as well if the breath begins messing with your focus.

i used to do that, take a few reeeally deep breaths then store the vital force in the body & exhale, do it a few times then just breathe normally...

id suggest doing this as a begginer type thing, its all about insight, so you start with bodily awareness, then breath awareness, then thought awareness, then awareness of consciousness which is the ultimate meditational 'practice'

but if your just starting out take a few deep ones, then watch the breath, breathing naturally, watching the breathing, but eventually dont even watch the breathing, watch the one who watches the breathing, don't understand this intellectually just give it a go, "I" watches breathing, watch the "I" which watches breathing, who watches the breathing? FEEL the question, now not in meditation, FEEL who watches this...watch that one, keep focusing, then when you are watching the watcher, observe what form the watcher you are watching has, then see if you are apart from that...see if theres any separartion there...if there is go deeper into the watching, witness the witness, if theres commentary, go deeper, what watches the commentary? and so on...just going inside deeper & deeper until all 'outer & inner' dissolves & all thats left is reality.

if you cant be bothered with all that but still want the benefits of mediation then simply sit, be quiet & observe the feeling of I Am & do not move from the awareness which watches I Am. Watching I Am is the best meditation going straight to the source of all experience "I"...forget about everything just watch "I Am", the mind usually doesnt want this as it wants hurdles to jump first, if you dont then go straight to the source, meditate on "I" & nothing else.

Quote:

WhiskeyClone said:
This helped me, from a book:

"Try waiting for the inbreath and outbreath to emerge, like a cat waiting outside a mouse's hole."

Another very good meditation, stay as the point inbetween breathes, this was a technique given to Devi by Shiva as an instruction to unlock the mystery of the universe, just watch the two points between in & out breath...

"AS BREATH TURNS FROM DOWN TO UP, AND AGAIN AS BREATH CURVES FROM UP TO DOWN -- THROUGH BOTH THESE TURNS, REALIZE."

:peace:

--------------------

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Re: watching the breath [Re: Chronic7]
    #8702812 - 07/30/08 03:04 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

watch the one who watches the breathing

tell me something I don't do :lolz0rz: :psychsplit:

taking deep breaths is ALWAYS good, no matter if you're a beginner or not.  tis a good warmup.

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #8702827 - 07/30/08 03:06 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I prefer to take lots of very, very shallow breaths.  Repeat until extremely dizzy, then ask yourself "who is dizzy?"  You will know that you've mastered this technique when you become nauseated.  "Who wants to vomit?"
:lol:

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Re: watching the breath [Re: Veritas]
    #8702847 - 07/30/08 03:11 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

there's this one meditation technique... hold the breath in till the point just before you would pass out... supposed to make for some good detachment.  not too sure if it's good for the brain though :lol:

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #8702857 - 07/30/08 03:12 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I practiced that technique when I was a toddler & didn't get my way.  It's great combined with stamping your feet & flinging yourself on the floor. :wink:

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Re: watching the breath [Re: Veritas]
    #8702863 - 07/30/08 03:13 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

:lol:

InvisibleChronic7

#8702889 - 07/30/08 03:19 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

all this technique for meditation is ridiculous imo, you can benefit from certain practices like pranayama but if you dont look inwards its all spiritual claptraps, the only difficulty is because we've been looking outward for so long it seems hard to look inward, but when are you not seeing from inside?
Its impossible to not see from inside, the looking comes from within, so all you have to do to look within is stop 'doing' & thats what meditation is. to realize you are that

--------------------

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Re: watching the breath [Re: Chronic7]
    #8702939 - 07/30/08 03:30 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

it is kind of ridiculous... once the basis of meditation is realized, nothing, other than the witnessing itself (nothing?), is needed to take one into that inward flow.

but when are you not seeing from inside?

if you're really seeing from the inside, you'll see that the conditioned mind isn't truly of the inside, rather built up around it.  so in a way when attached to mind it could be considered seeing from the outside.

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #8703218 - 07/30/08 04:31 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Consider yourself a doorway that the breath passes through of its own accord. Notice the sensation it creates, not the muscles moving, or the lungs expanding, but the more subtle movement throughout your whole body. For me it it starts as a pulse, or feeling of gradual expansion. After a while it becomes second nature and you dont even have to think about it.

You can also get your breathing into a steady passive state by thinking about (that is really the wrong word....maybe noticing?) more abstract "feelings" (again not really the right word) such as the difference in the space between your head and your hands. These are all just tools to be used, eventually you will develop your own, but for now its best to stick with the breath in order to build discipline, and learn how to let go.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Offlineburgatory
Outlander
Male

Re: watching the breath [Re: blewmeanie]
    #8703768 - 07/30/08 06:32 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Because of our culture with do everything to do with our bodies with rigidity and force. If you "try" to breathe you'll shove your lungs and lose air, and since there will be an imbalance in the lungs you'll feel short of breath.

Breathing is actually a big deal for those who finally disconnect from the cultural hysteria. It takes time for all the tension in the 'lung muscles' to dissapate.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to 'let go' or realise the nothingness you are - the dream character you are. Slowly but surely you'll begin to do things without tension in your body.

By not acting as the dream character we are, to create a different tone of voice takes tension on the lungs, to move the body with unnatural tension puts more load on the respitory system.

--------------------

Wherever the hero may wander, whatever he may do, he is ever in the presence of his own essence — for he has the perfected eye to see. There is no separateness. Thus, just as the way of social participation may lead in the end to a realization of the All in the individual, so that of exile brings the hero to the Self in all.

joseph campbell

For, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

jesus

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#8704306 - 07/30/08 08:39 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I've read that human lung capacity is 5 times what is necessary. I'm not sure of the context, but it doesn't take much breath to meditate. Interpreting the emotion as not getting enough air, results in getting too much air, and this would be a good reason for 'forgetting' to breathe. Perhaps an over-ride that transfers control back to the reflexive subconscious so we don't hurt ourselves with oxygen?

Whether you're into chakras or not, you might want to try focusing the body awareness low (lower belly) and not try to bring it up. And, instead of trying to get it to peak, make the breath circular, in that there is no top or bottom. No holding the breath at the top or the bottom, no expectation of "an event" in any specific breath. This way, you're not beholden to breathing in X amount or holding X amount. The top is more of an arch, and the bottom happens simply because your weight is no longer forcing air out.

Keeping it slow and low, the emotion will begin to rise on it's own. At this point, you could let go of the lower belly focus and just breathe :thumbup: or you could move the focus to some other chakra.:thumbup: Much easier to satisfy that desire for "air" after removing the urgency.

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#8706132 - 07/31/08 05:00 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

TameMe said:
As I try to still my mind and pay attention to my breathing i start to conciously control it. and it feels as if i become short of air doing this.

after awhile though...i "forget" to breathe and start doing it naturally and my racing mind comes back.

i want to be able to breathe naturally and pay attention to it with out thought...but it seems impossible.

this is terrific
just continue as you are with no special work arounds.
you are definitely connecting the yoke.

Yoga is also translated as the yoke, as in yoke you put on the Ox to pull the cart.

the muscles of the beast flex in each direction to throw off the yoke, and the meditator has to slide around in an effort to keep still.

this paradox is the nature of the yoke.

all I can do is encourage you to keep it up.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: watching the breath [Re: redgreenvines]
    #8706327 - 07/31/08 07:39 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

all I can do is encourage you to keep it up.

:thumbup:

Stopping the monkey mind is one of the hardest things I can imagine.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Edited by Icelander (07/31/08 07:39 AM)

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: watching the breath [Re: Icelander]
    #8706328 - 07/31/08 07:41 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

You don't have to 'stop' it, all you have to do is observe it.

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: watching the breath [Re: Lion]
    #8706333 - 07/31/08 07:44 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

The goal I thought was to eventually get it to stop thinking so "reality" could be experienced.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: watching the breath [Re: Icelander]
    #8706340 - 07/31/08 07:48 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Those monkey thoughts are a part of reality too. :monkeydance:

IME it doesn't really stop, but it slows down.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale