Home | Community | Message Board

ElevationChemicals.com - Reagent Test Kits
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Gypsum, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Cat's Cradle
Cow Manure Additives?
    #8694036 - 07/28/08 09:54 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I just bought a 40 lb bag of cow manure. It's values are .5 for all Nitrogen, phosphate, and potash.

I have plenty of vermiculite to fluff it up, but see very different amounts that should be added from ready different posts, ranging from 20% - 50%.

How much should I really use?

I need to know what to use as other additives as well. I have hydrated lime,  calcium carbonate, and gypsum.

Also, I have no way to measure pH. :shrug:

A pre-emptive thanks for the help as this is my first bulk grow. :awesome:

--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
Re: Cow Manure Additives? [Re: dill705]
    #8694117 - 07/28/08 10:04 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

wtf/ read below.

Edited by jeetered (07/28/08 10:07 PM)

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Cow Manure Additives? [Re: jeetered]
    #8694130 - 07/28/08 10:06 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

cow manure can be great, or turn out a muddy mess. so don't use oils i you have coir.

you don't want to add alot of verm with cow, it gets muddy, adding coir AND verm, would be better, and only 2 or 3 quarts of verm if you're adding coir.

You're really going to have to judge for yourself on this one, if you've ever handled a proper compost, you should mimmick that texture. keeping it fluffy and airy is your best bet. Not over moist, not dry.

Vermiculite is good to add. Gypsum, but not all three ph balancers. But i would certainly suggest adding coconut fiber, or, whats known as coir, or straw, coir is easier.
and add it by almost 40%+/-

Digital ph thingy's are expensive. So they can be hard to come by.

I honestly guess, sometimes i use litmus as a rough estimate.

try that.

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8694161 - 07/28/08 10:10 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Gypsum doesn't change the pH. I know I need to add that though.

Isn't manure going to be a little on the high side, so I should add a small amount lime to balance it out, right?

And I should just feel out the verm mixture huh?

--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8694342 - 07/28/08 10:41 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I've decided on 1/2 cup of gypsum for every ten cups of manure, 5 tablespoons of lime for the same, and vermiculite to feel, probably between 6-10 cups for every 10 of manure.

Whattya think?

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#8696280 - 07/29/08 09:48 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i think you're going to need coir or straw or you're going to have mudpies.

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8696310 - 07/29/08 10:04 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I hear what you're saying, but it feels like I can fluff it up a bit because it's not all sloppy and wet, it's a good consistency.

I can add alot of moisture in my casing layer, which I've been pretty good with in the past. Then I can spray the walls of the fruiting chamber and close it up, tape her shut.

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #8696364 - 07/29/08 10:23 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

dill705 said:
I've decided on 1/2 cup of gypsum for every ten cups of manure, 5 tablespoons of lime for the same, and vermiculite to feel, probably between 6-10 cups for every 10 of manure.

Ten to twenty percent verm by volume is fine. You don't need or want more than that. If the mix comes out muddy, it means you added too much water.  Squeeze it out and try again.  Other additives such as coffee, coir and straw are fine, but not mandatory.  Dump the contents of your morning coffee filter into the mix for an added boost.  Make sure any coffee grinds you use have been previously used to brew coffee, so they're already leached.

Use gypsum at up to ten percent, so your mix of 5% is fine.

NEVER pH balance substrates, so don't use lime.  If it's a bit on the acidic side, that's great.  Mushroom mycelium prefers a pH in the 5 to 6.5 range, which is what most bagged up cow manure is right out of the bag.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Re: Cow Manure Additives? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8696861 - 07/29/08 12:59 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I thought I read on here yesterday that moo moo pooo came on the higher side like an 8. :shrug;

I already added the lime, should I expect real negative cosequences?

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

OfflineNo_Life_G33k
Now with 10%less noobness
 User Gallery

#8696978 - 07/29/08 01:30 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4460623/page/0/fpart/2/vc/1

a nifty little bagged poo grow :cool: with pix of harvest

Half poo and half verm.

bring to field capcity

nuke 6 minutes
stir

nuke 6 minutes
alow to cool

inoculate w/ 1 pint WBS

--------------------
Hot Water Pasteuriztion - A How To Pictorial
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4527808/an/0/page/0

Make your own shroom chocolates
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4500682/an/0/page/5

guide with pix.

Make Your Own Magnetic Stirrer! How-To Tek w/ pix
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5865949/an/0/page/3

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Gypsum, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation