Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Humans and Fungi are related!
    #8690924 - 07/27/08 11:53 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Your Yeasty Network
By Carl Zimmer
July 28, 2008 - Discover Magazine

Over the weekend I came across a wonderful illustration in a new paper. The subject of the paper is the way our proteins work together. Many proteins work by first joining together with other proteins to form what are known as complexes. Which naturally raises the question: how did different protein complexes evolve from common ancestors?

To attack this question, Dutch researchers decided to compare two species in which protein complexes have been very carefully catalogued: yeast and humans. Yeast are fungi, and humans are animals; fungi and animals descend from a common single-celled ancestor that has been estimated to have lived 1.5 billion years ago. The Dutch researchers identified proteins in each species that descended from a single original protein in that ancestor. Then they compared how each protein interacted with all the other proteins in each species.

The scientists found that many proteins in yeast and animals form identical cores of complexes. The illustration here shows the yeast and human versions of a protein complex called eIF3. These proteins join together to help in the process by which the sequence of genes are translated into new proteins. In humans, there are 11 proteins in the complex–a marvelously intricate little knot of molecules. But it would be a mistake to think that this 11-protein system could not have evolved from a simpler version. Yeast can make new proteins with an eIF3 complex made up of only 6 of the same proteins. In the lineage that led to us, this new study indicates, the eIF3 complex took on new proteins, rather than being ripped apart to form new complexes from scratch.

This study joins a growing list of cases in which scientists are discovering the simple history of our complicated biology.

Carl Zimmer writes about science regularly for the New York Times and magazines such as Discover, where he is a contributing editor and columnist.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelinx88
Seeker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Re: Humans and Fungi are related! [Re: veggie]
    #8691555 - 07/28/08 08:24 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

So the dutch really feel there is a Fungus Amungus...

--------------------

Offlineultimo101
Mushroomhead

Re: Humans and Fungi are related! [Re: linx88]
    #8691623 - 07/28/08 09:01 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

linx88 said:
So the dutch really feel there is a Fungus Amungus...

:rimshot:

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
Re: Humans and Fungi are related! [Re: ultimo101]
    #8691703 - 07/28/08 09:42 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

one problem, they say "humans are animals"

i for one, am a mammal, not an animal. animals have no sense of reasoning, this sounds like utter bullshit.

Invisiblegolden1
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: north korea
Re: Humans and Fungi are related! [Re: jeetered]
    #8691747 - 07/28/08 09:56 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

jeetered said:

i for one, am a mammal, not an animal. animals have no sense of reasoning, this sounds like utter bullshit.

mammal is an animal group, like reptile, I believe

Invisiblethemange
Senior Citizen
Male

#8691749 - 07/28/08 09:57 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

umm..anything thats a vertebrate, warmblooded and breastfeeds is a mammal.

anything thats eukaryotic and multicellular is an animal.

The biological definition of the word refers to all members of the Kingdom Animalia. Therefore, when the word "animal" is used in a biological context, humans are included.

somewhere i think these overlap.:crazy2:

InvisibleGex
Brain Stressed
Male

#8691758 - 07/28/08 09:59 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

jeetered said:

You need to look up the definition of animal then; animal is a broad term that does extend over mammal.

Invisiblethemange
Senior Citizen
Male

Re: Humans and Fungi are related! [Re: Gex]
    #8691771 - 07/28/08 10:05 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

jeeturd always finds the negative anyways. i dont know why any of us bother to correct him anymore.

he lives his life one fallacy at a time.

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
    #8691902 - 07/28/08 10:54 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

jeetered said:

There is a good bit of research that has been done which shows that plants, for an example, are a lot more sentient than people give them credit for. When one Soviet scientist, Vladimir Grigorievich Karamanov, was questioned about the novelty of the research of an American peer. He responded "Nothing of the sort! That plants are able to perceive the surrounding world is a truth as old as the world itself. Without perception, adaptation does not and can not exist. If plants had no sense organs and didn't have a means of transmitting and processing information with their own language and memory, they would inevitably perish." I'm sure that you are thinking that this is bullshit too. Maybe that the article was about fungi not plants and how does this relate. The principle though is the same. It was inspired by rigorous testing performed on at least three different continents by a myriad of researchers. To think that you understand with a complete grasp, the mechanics of a universe, which we only see the iceberg's tip there of, is maybe a bit dismissive of the rest. It reminds me of a little piece within Breakfast of Champions where yeast are musing about the nature of life and the universe, making all sorts of grandiose claims. However in the end, they were only eating sugar and suffocating is their excrement to make champagne. In conclusion, how do you define intelligence? If we, who popularly see ourselves as the pinnacle of evolution/creation, kill ourselves off within a small fraction of the time that lets say the dinosaurs took. Maybe think of a plant or a fungi even and how long they have been or will be around vs us. Who is really the more intelligent here? The species of suicidal psychotic apes which weren't happy until they had procreated to a pathogenic level and then killed themselves off  with toys that they barely understood or a species that could have survived at least till the next ice age if not until the sun goes supernova. Its kind of like the idea of sanity. We are all nuts. Its only a question of function.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

InvisibleMr Me
Smile for big brother

Re: Humans and Fungi are related! [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #8692005 - 07/28/08 11:44 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mr_minds_eye said:
Quote:

jeetered said:

There is a good bit of research that has been done which shows that plants, for an example, are a lot more sentient than people give them credit for. When one Soviet scientist, Vladimir Grigorievich Karamanov, was questioned about the novelty of the research of an American peer. He responded "Nothing of the sort! That plants are able to perceive the surrounding world is a truth as old as the world itself. Without perception, adaptation does not and can not exist. If plants had no sense organs and didn't have a means of transmitting and processing information with their own language and memory, they would inevitably perish." I'm sure that you are thinking that this is bullshit too. Maybe that the article was about fungi not plants and how does this relate. The principle though is the same. It was inspired by rigorous testing performed on at least three different continents by a myriad of researchers. To think that you understand with a complete grasp, the mechanics of a universe, which we only see the iceberg's tip there of, is maybe a bit dismissive of the rest. It reminds me of a little piece within Breakfast of Champions where yeast are musing about the nature of life and the universe, making all sorts of grandiose claims. However in the end, they were only eating sugar and suffocating is their excrement to make champagne. In conclusion, how do you define intelligence? If we, who popularly see ourselves as the pinnacle of evolution/creation, kill ourselves off within a small fraction of the time that lets say the dinosaurs took. Maybe think of a plant or a fungi even and how long they have been or will be around vs us. Who is really the more intelligent here? The species of suicidal psychotic apes which weren't happy until they had procreated to a pathogenic level and then killed themselves off  with toys that they barely understood or a species that could have survived at least till the next ice age if not until the sun goes supernova. Its kind of like the idea of sanity. We are all nuts. Its only a question of function.

Fungi and plants have no where near the creative and destructive power of humans. We have more intelligence than they do, that's why we can understand exactly how we are related to Fungi by comparing protein groups.

Yes, it's very unfortunate people are obcessed with materialism and killing each other. But the self preservation urge will triumph and drive living technology and philosophy, as well as evil technology and philosophy.

InvisibleFurrowedBrow
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Re: Humans and Fungi are related! [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #8692011 - 07/28/08 11:46 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

In listening to a Stamets lecture he mentioned that, as i recall, 60% of mushroom dna is shared with humans.  I thought that was interesting.  That guy is amazing to listen to, but we all know that here.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!

I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
Re: Humans and Fungi are related! [Re: Mr Me]
    #8692091 - 07/28/08 12:03 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mr Me said:
Fungi and plants have no where near the creative and destructive power of humans. We have more intelligence than they do, that's why we can understand exactly how we are related to Fungi by comparing protein groups.

Yes, it's very unfortunate people are obsessed with materialism and killing each other. But the self preservation urge will triumph and drive living technology and philosophy, as well as evil technology and philosophy.

I'm not saying that we haven't done some amazing things. Within the human mind there are multiple types of memory at work. That doesn't mean that we understand them. I was talking to an Israeli neuro scientist. In his opinion we really haven't come that far in the last 100 years in his field even. What I'm getting at with that is the difference between knowing and understanding. While we a lone on our planet can grasp such concepts, this is speaking of human intelligence. Lets say that the human brain is the world (which in actuality is at least on a subjective level) Lets say that these different types of memory are like the different types of intelligence. Is one memory smarter than another? Its apples and oranges. They are all different and necessary. So while a human does what it does, a mushroom does what it does and very well I might add. An IQ test doesn't test general intelligence, it tests a type of intelligence that we call IQ. Expand your brain and think out of the box yo.
-kick it real to the young black youth

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale