Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineP.Menace
Contradicting the Status Quo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Let Me See Potato Salad!!...
Tattoos and Influences
    #8691051 - 07/28/08 12:36 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

So im sure that most of us here on Shroomery have tattoos. Now im not telling anyone to post their tattoos cause it could identify them, but on another forum I was reading a thread about tattoo designs, Frequency and Influence.

Design:
Some people are artistic enough to create a piece of art worthy of making a Permanant part of their body for the rest of their life, which IMO means that these will be the tattoos that are most reveired.
Frequency:
Meaning the use of the stencil, Some people walk into a shop and look at some pretty pictures on the wall, Pick one on a whim and get it stuck on them for life, IMO:lame:
Influence:
Did you get your tattoo, Original or Public, because you wanted a tattoo, Because your friends were getting tattoos or because the Design itself meant something to you... ie, "In Memory of" tattoos?

The reason i ask is because I am a tattoo artist and I prefer to only deal with private, 1 off, personal tattoo designs. Usually either I draw the design or use one that was drawn by someone of stature to the Client.

I just dont think I could personally handle the same tattoo as some "Joe" on the street...

Thoughts? Opinions?

--------------------

http://www.sporeworksgallery.com/Cubensae/Psilocybe_cubensis_Menace

roby000 said: thats true a shotgun is almost like a college degree in a sense that if you show it to the right person at the right time you could make a lot of money.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewearejellyfish
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Re: Tattoos and Influences [Re: P.Menace]
    #8691077 - 07/28/08 12:59 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i agree.

and kudos to you for that.
if i were a tattoo artist, i would refuse to even show books of those 'classic' tattoos, but instead a portfolio of REAL art work.

i spit at people with those star tattoos. or roses with initials. or hearts and dolphins.
or crosses

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
    #8691081 - 07/28/08 01:03 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I agree totally. What's that stock stuff called? Flash? I can't remember.

Why would you do that?

OfflineThe_Ghost
ゴースト

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USG Ishimura Flag
Re: Tattoos and Influences [Re: Mad River]
    #8691100 - 07/28/08 01:11 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Ya. get something that you came up with, and that has some meaning to you.

--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Loc: subtropics
    #8691110 - 07/28/08 01:15 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I am going to make a million off tattoo removal when I become an RN and open a shop!:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Tattoos and Influences [Re: tyrannicalrex]
    #8691117 - 07/28/08 01:17 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

tyrannicalrex said:
I am going to make a million off tattoo removal when I become an RN and open a shop!:thumbup:

Because of some tards "flash" pick for a tattoo... Yep its called "Flash"

--------------------

roby000 said: thats true a shotgun is almost like a college degree in a sense that if you show it to the right person at the right time you could make a lot of money.

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Loc: subtropics
    #8691128 - 07/28/08 01:20 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Please elaborate, "flash"?

--------------------

InvisibleMonstroniuM
The Original Juggernaut
Male

Loc: Florida, USA Flag
Re: Tattoos and Influences [Re: Mad River]
    #8691146 - 07/28/08 01:28 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I have two tattoos and they have meanings, got my first one when I was 9th grade. Not only was it the cool thing, but no one else was doing it! Apparently no ones mom was cool enough to sign the waiver.

Like you I don't do the flip book tattoos that you pick from the wall, so I drew a tribal cross and put it on my left arm/shoulder. They offered to do the tattoo for free + give me 50 if they could copy the original and put in one of their books. Needless to say, I got the tattoo after I paid for it because if I ever saw someone else with the same tattoo, I'd skin them. My second, which came in 11th grade was a Jester on my left calf. None, since then but I have the burning itch for one. I managed to pick up some 'one-offs' when I took my trip to county and would like to finish my leg with them, possibly start a sleeve. I have a hard time finding one, even though I have all the ideas for it. I myself sadly am not that artistic and can't draw what I want, but neither can anyone else. Its hard, but I know there are more to come for sure.

Do you have any pictures of your work. Also, you wouldn't want to trade art work for prints :mushroom2:?

--------------------
The text and pictures posted by this user are entirely fictional. All posts are for entertainment purposes only and do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of this user.

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #8691151 - 07/28/08 01:29 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Do you want to buy some flash?

Just joking. I actually do not have a tattoo. I HAVE however drawn many cool tattoos on paper. Each one I draw, I think, "This is it, this is what I'm having put on my body FOREVER!" Then I never do. I'm a puss I guess.

Cool story: a buddy of mine takes off at Sturges one year. Says he's going to get a tat, (a lot of tattooing going on a Sturgis if you've never been). We all say sure you are pal, Okay.

He comes back a couple hours later, with a tattoo the size of a fifty-cent piece on his shoulder, OF A MALLARD DUCK!  I have no idea, (and I don't think he does either). It was nicely done though...

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
Re: Tattoos and Influences [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8691159 - 07/28/08 01:34 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

"Flash" is a page of tattoo drawings all related to each other by theme, (like butterflies). I have a bitchin flash of hand bones that I know someone would buy. Anatomically correct I might add. :wink:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8691161 - 07/28/08 01:35 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Flash is the crap on the walls at every tattoo shop... and its all the same shit

Quote:

MonstroniuM said:
I have two tattoos and they have meanings, got my first one when I was 9th grade. Not only was it the cool thing, but no one else was doing it! Apparently no ones mom was cool enough to sign the waiver.

Like you I don't do the flip book tattoos that you pick from the wall, so I drew a tribal cross and put it on my left arm/shoulder. They offered to do the tattoo for free + give me 50 if they could copy the original and put in one of their books. Needless to say, I got the tattoo after I paid for it because if I ever saw someone else with the same tattoo, I'd skin them. My second, which came in 11th grade was a Jester on my left calf. None, since then but I have the burning itch for one. I managed to pick up some 'one-offs' when I took my trip to county and would like to finish my leg with them, possibly start a sleeve. I have a hard time finding one, even though I have all the ideas for it. I myself sadly am not that artistic and can't draw what I want, but neither can anyone else. Its hard, but I know there are more to come for sure.

Do you have any pictures of your work. Also, you wouldn't want to trade art work for prints :mushroom2:?

There are pictures of some of my work in my Gallery, Have a look in there... plus i can send you some others I have too

Quote:

BrandNewbie said:
Do you want to buy some flash?

Just joking. I actually do not have a tattoo. I HAVE however drawn many cool tattoos on paper. Each one I draw, I think, "This is it, this is what I'm having put on my body FOREVER!" Then I never do. I'm a puss I guess.

Cool story: a buddy of mine takes off at Sturges one year. Says he's going to get a tat, (a lot of tattooing going on a Sturgis if you've never been). We all say sure you are pal, Okay.

He comes back a couple hours later, with a tattoo the size of a fifty-cent piece on his shoulder, OF A MALLARD DUCK!  I have no idea, (and I don't think he does either). It was nicely done though...

Depending on what you got...And the Guarantee that it is in fact the Original and the only copy in existence... Otherwise.... yeah, no.

--------------------

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8691166 - 07/28/08 01:36 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BrandNewbie said:
"Flash" is a page of tattoo drawings all related to each other by theme, (like butterflies). I have a bitchin flash of hand bones that I know someone would buy. Anatomically correct I might add. :wink:

What do you have? im interested slightly more than slightly now

--------------------

OfflinePlatinum
Psychonautical Engineer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: New York Flag
    #8691689 - 07/28/08 09:35 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

First off - to the OP - don't post your tattoo cuz it can identify you? So can your IP address....

Secondly - Here's my opinion on tattoos...

1) Fuck tribal - no artistic value, just a bunch of curvy black lines filled in with black. "Ohh wow... nice tribal. that's a really SHARP point you got there. it's so black too... wow." People get tribal because they don't realize there is a lot of other really good art they can get on their body that is so much better. Unless of course... they are part of a tribe, then it has some cultural meaning to it.

2) Screw flash - some of it's nice, but get something original. Why have something 1000's of other people can have too? If it's original it's guaranteed to be the only 1 like that.

One of my best friends is an artist. He has done a lot of psychedelics, and you can see it in how he thinks and draws and tattoos. He did some work on me, and he took an outline of a koi fish. He threw that on me, just the outline of the fish. Then with pen he drew in cherry blossoms, crashing waves, flowing waves, scales on the koi - now that's an artist. His colors are bright, and all his work is original. He'll take concepts from flash, but won't do a copy of it. He redraws it and adds to it, etc.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Tattoos and Influences [Re: Platinum]
    #8692218 - 07/28/08 12:33 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

All my tattoos are custom designed. I came up with the design and then let the tattoo artist add their own unique flair to it. Mine are all based on my beliefs and philosophies, as sort of an extension of my personality.. a 'timestamp' for a period in my life. I don't have any black and white pieces.. they are all very colorful as they are permanent works of art and I want them to be vibrant.

Where I grew up in high school, my best friend's mom was a tattoo artist and we would hang out at their shop all the time. One of my good friends was an amazing artist and ended up as an apprentice there and gave me my first tattoo. But you'd see people come in all the time, just look through the random Flash in a magazine or on the wall.. point at something and be like "I want that!".. a spur of the moment decision. I always thought that was just the most foolish thing ever. I mean granted, I got my first tattoo when I was pretty young.. and looking back, I probably would have preferred a different design entirely. But at least it's unique.. at least I came up with the design myself, and I can say with certainty that no one else on the planet has my exact same tattoo, because it came from my own mind. It may not be what I would prefer to have now.. but it's complex and interesting and unique. Which the same can't be said for the 500,000 people running around with the exact same flash tiger design on their shoulder.

Bottom line is make sure you are getting something personal, that will still hold meaning to you in 50 years.
I suggest when thinking about a tattoo.. after picking out a design.. think what you would feel like with that on your skin, then wait 3 months and think about it again.

To the OP: I have heard of artists that will deny people who want stupid flash or stupid shit like tattooing their girlfriend's name into their forehead. My friend's shop.. he preferred to do custom work only, but he would still do flash if people really wanted it... money was money. If they were going to get something stupid, he would tell them what he thought and recommend against it.. and he often added his own flair to flash anyway.. but he would work with most people for whatever they wanted. Some tattoo artists will tattoo anything, on anyone.. they don't care. Others are very selective about what they will permanently ink into someone's body. I would say that depends entirely upon your personal "morals" when it comes to inking people..

Personally, if I were a tattoo artist.. I would probably not just ink anything on anyone that walked through the door. I would want my tattoos to be special and amazing. But then again, if I was trying to make ends meet and that was my only source of income.. I would probably compromise my values and would not just be turning people down..

No very good recent pics.. this is the closest I have.

--------------------

OfflinePlatinum
Psychonautical Engineer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Tattoos and Influences [Re: Shroomism]
    #8692260 - 07/28/08 12:40 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
All my tattoos are custom designed. I came up with the design and then let the tattoo artist add their own unique flair to it. Mine are all based on my beliefs and philosophies, as sort of an extension of my personality.. a 'timestamp' for a period in my life. I don't have any black and white pieces.. they are all very colorful as they are permanent works of art and I want them to be vibrant.

Where I grew up in high school, my best friend's mom was a tattoo artist and we would hang out at their shop all the time. One of my good friends was an amazing artist and ended up as an apprentice there and gave me my first tattoo. But you'd see people come in all the time, just look through the random Flash in a magazine or on the wall.. point at something and be like "I want that!".. a spur of the moment decision. I always thought that was just the most foolish thing ever. I mean granted, I got my first tattoo when I was pretty young.. and looking back, I probably would have preferred a different design entirely. But at least it's unique.. at least I came up with the design myself, and I can say with certainty that no one else on the planet has my exact same tattoo. It may not be what I would prefer to have now.. but it's complex and interesting and unique. Which the same can't be said for the 500,000 people running around with the exact same flash tiger design on their shoulder.

Bottom line is make sure you are getting something personal, that will still hold meaning to you in 50 years.

To the OP: I have heard of artists that will deny people who want stupid flash or stupid shit like tattooing their girlfriend's name into their forehead. My friend's shop.. he preferred to do custom work only, but he would still do flash if people really wanted it... money was money. If they were going to get something stupid, he would tell them what he thought and recommend against it.. and he often added his own flair to flash anyway.. but he would work with most people for whatever they wanted. Some tattoo artists will tattoo anything, on anyone.. they don't care. Others are very selective about what they will permanently ink into someone's body. I would say that depends entirely upon your personal "morals" when it comes to inking people..

Personally, if I were a tattoo artist.. I would probably not just ink anything on anyone that walked through the door. I would want my tattoos to be special and amazing. But then again, if I was trying to make ends meet and that was my only source of income.. I would probably compromise my values and would not just be turning people down..

So much of what you said is true.

I view my tattoos as a "timestamp" as well - they represent where I was in my life at the time I got it. I can never regret that, because how can I regret who I was at a certain time? When I am older I will be able to look at my body, at a certain tattoo and remember who I was then, my views and philosophy, etc. They will always hold significance to me.

As far as stupid tattoos and flash tattoos. My friend will not do flash unless he draws it and adds to it. He wants his shop to be a shop of quality work, of unique work. Every person who comes in is guaranteed a one of a kind piece of art. Not some shotty spur of the moment thing. As a result, he doesn't do many walk-ins - requires people to make an appointment, that way they are forced to think about it before they actually get it.

He also refuses to tattoo hands, and neck/faces unless the person is a tattoo artist. Tattoos of those kinds he, and many other artists, call "life-ruiners" because it really can ruin your life. Finding a job becomes considerably hard when your face or hands are tattooed - try shaking hands with a future boss with "LIFE" written across your knuckles... good luck getting that job. Same with the face and neck.

I've seen him turn down several people, even someone who wanted a small star between their thumb and index finger.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #8692301 - 07/28/08 12:49 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yes all very good points. My friend didn't do walk-ins either.. all tattoos were done by appointment only. I only saw him turn down one person in all the times I was hanging out there, and that was for a face tattoo. He refused to do it and strongly advised the guy against getting it done somewhere else. The most common "grey area" I saw was Flash.. soooo many people would want some stupid piece of flash they saw in some tattoo magazine. He would still do it if they had their heart set on it.. but like your friend, he would draw it himself and add his own embellishments and customization to it.. so that even if he did the same dumb piece of flash to 10 different people... each one was still slightly different and unique in their own way. Still its retarded and I can't imagine why anyone would want Flash. Especially when you have this amazing artist sitting in front of you, who excels in custom work, and you tell him you want him to trace a bugs bunny on your ass. Get bent... go to some scratcher in a back alley.

Like seriously.. how many fucking chicks have a butterfly tattooed on the small of their back? Way too fucking many, that's how many.

--------------------

OfflineWornTraveler
Captain Cannabis
Male

Loc: Florida, USA
    #8692335 - 07/28/08 12:55 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not really afraid if someone knows my identity, so I'll just go ahead and put it out there. I've been thinking about getting a tattoo of my school mascot, a Seminole, on horseback, spearing an alligator (symbol of our rivals, hehe). I want to get it on my shoulder. the only other tattoo I have is my name, bloodtype, religion, and contact information for my family under my armpit. I did some aid work in Lebanon during the Israel-Lebanon war and one of the guys working with me got blown up, and they couldn't identify the body because his head was pretty much gone, so I got the tattoo as a way of identification in case I got blown away (which thankfully never happened), or for if I got wounded and was unconscious and needed a blood transfusion, which did happen.

Anyways, I thought it would be a cool tattoo, a way to always tie me back to my university which I'm absolutely in love with... but ya know, you hear about tattoos looking absolutely fugly when you get old and wrinkly and whatnot, so I'm not sure about it.

--------------------
Captain Cannabis, Guardian of Ganja, Sultan of Shrooms, Giver of Green, Tabbed Tripper, and all around Good Guy.

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #8692358 - 07/28/08 01:00 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I knew I wanted my first tattoo to reflect on all that my psychedelic experiences had taught and continue to teach me. And I have always been in love with polygons, vectors, and molecular structures. But I didn't want to get one psychedelic drug tattooed on me in particular. I wanted to find something that connected them.

I was listening to a Terence McKenna lecture when I first heard the term "indole." I'd not known that psilocybin, LSD and DMT all shared an indole ring as a common part of their structure, which is why they are classed as "indole hallucinogens."  When I googled a picture of an indole ring, I loved it. It's not only a structure those drugs have in common but also neurotransmitters created endogenously by our own brains - melatonin and serotonin for example. In fact it is this shared structure that makes all these neurotransmitters capable of docking in the human brain.

Once all that came together, I knew I wanted it on me, and that I wanted it on my right forearm, my writing arm, as a constant reminder of the connections between things, as opposed to the things themselves that had taught me about these connections.

To me, that tattoo embodies "mind."  My next tattoo, which I am getting in the next month or so, will be on my left forearm. It will be a baseball diamond, just the basic design they are all built off of, without any specific measurements for the field. And the numbers of the positions will all be penciled in. I love baseball and sports in general as expressions of the battles of our dualistic minds, played out by human players on a stage. i also think it matches my other tattoo in that it is lines and vectors, though there is one curved line at the top.

Eventually I want to get a third tattoo, a large piece on my back. With mind and body covered, I'll move on to spirit, and it will probably be a large drawing with many lines and vectors, aligned along my chakras.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflinePlatinum
Psychonautical Engineer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Tattoos and Influences [Re: Shroomism]
    #8692361 - 07/28/08 01:00 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

hahaha yeah - the worst thing though is when people come in and say "so i got this tattoo that i want fixed" they pull up their sleeve and its a fuckin blob of ink on their arm. its like "wtf do you want me to do with that?" and then they ask where they had it done, and how much it costs them. When people come in, and you look at their shitty tattoos you can always take a good guess as to who did it. This one guy in the area blows out his lines, and when he shades, its all scratchy and shitty looking. Take one look at his work and you know who did it. We just shake our heads. I dont understand how people like that A) have a license and B) are still in business. it baffles me.

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
Re: Tattoos and Influences [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #8692511 - 07/28/08 01:53 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

OneMoreRobot: I really dig your indole tattoo. I don't really get the baseball diamond, especially the numbers don't make sense to me. Then again, I'm not a sports fan at all.

Peace.
Mad River

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder