Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
Flies
    #8640550 - 07/15/08 11:54 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'm posting this here because it's (currently) an insect issue and not a contamination issue.  A little while ago I was spawning to dung.  More specifically, I was spawning/mixing crumbled/ground BRF substrate into pre-pasteurized* 50/50 dung/straw -- as I have before.  I was in a clean enclosed space and noticed a fly which made me freak out a bit.  I killed the fucker but noticed several more, then realized the source which was the bag of *pre-pasteurized substrate. :what:  Having no other options I continued mixing the substrate, sort of expecting the worst and hoping for better; and at least there was and is no contamination.
Now the substrate is about 75% colonized and I held out hope that this was the last of the flies, but of course they're back and mostly in larval form.  The substrate itself looks fairly healthy and by appearances it's only a few tiny creep-crawlies disturbing my colonization/fruiting chamber.  Any advice (beyond weeping hysterically which I have down pretty well)?  I tried looking for other threads about this but couldn't find any good information.  My main question is: What is toxic to flies/fly larvae but not toxic to mycelium?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRealnuggetz
Just a friend of the family
Male User Gallery

Loc: SF/NYC biCoastal
Re: Flies [Re: Land_Crab]
    #8641022 - 07/16/08 03:13 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Man, flies have a pretty short life I think. Just suffocate the sons of bitches? I don't know. I'd never seen a fly in my casings befor, but this run, I found a gnat floating around in a monotub, and didn't want to open the tub to let the fucker out. So, I ignored the son of a bitch. A couple days later, I checked, and there was a full grown fly dead as a doornail laying on a ledge of the plastic tub. And floating around the tub was another single gnat. So fuck em! I'll see what happens. I mean, they won't eat my shrooms right? They couldn't handle that shit. They may puke on them, but we'll see if it contams!

--------------------
Nothin left to do but smile smile smile

Offlinenugjug
Wanderer

Re: Flies [Re: Land_Crab]
    #8641025 - 07/16/08 03:16 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I've been there before.  Your best bet are those sticky traps that you hang from the ceiling.  You have to wait for the larva to become flies and deal with them eating your substrate and possibly contaminating it.  However, it is a very effective nontoxic way to rid you of the problem.  I had it happen once in your exact situation and then again more recently when I started cultivating again and had some hatch inside my PF cakes.  Sticky traps did the trick both times.

Offlinesoulsizzle
nobody f**kswith The Jesus

Re: Flies [Re: nugjug]
    #8643749 - 07/16/08 05:11 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I would lay out some sticky traps as sugessted or fill an open jar partially with some apple cider vinegar and lay it somewhere nearby. They are difficult to deal with at this stage. Let everything run its course. When you're finished be sure to remove any substrate from your house and clean everything very thoroughly. Give it a little while before you start anything new to let everything die off.

--------------------

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
Re: Flies (update 1) [Re: Land_Crab]
    #8684023 - 07/26/08 12:34 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Just floating a brief line to say that the mycelium appears to have won the battle against the flies naturally, since the larvae and winged ones are no longer visible and the proto-fungus seems healthy.  If any success is achieved I'll post pics and more info; (wish us luck, no imperative to reply...)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag