Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinealphaone
Big Detail
Male
Do real mushroom curanderos still exist?
    #8676830 - 07/24/08 03:32 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Does somebody know whether curanderos (or curandera) which use psilocybe mushrooms in their healing veladas still exist in Mexico? And I mean the type of a real, devoted curandero such as Maria Sabina was.

If the answer is positive, could you please post here or PM me on how to come into contact with such a person. I live in Europe, but if they really exist, I'd try to go there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledwpineal
Psychedelic Artist
 User Gallery

Re: Do real mushroom curanderos still exist? [Re: alphaone]
    #8679908 - 07/25/08 10:48 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

See if you can get in touch with Kathleen Harrison. She's been living with and working with the Mazatec Indians in the mountains of Mexico for several decades I believe. I saw a presentation she did recently and she was talking about indigenous uses of psychotropics and she had some pictures of local psilocybes.

I found this;
http://rainystair.blogspot.com/2006/03/writings-by-kathleen-harrison.html

and she is also a presenter at this year's Telluride Mushroom Festival.

I would start my search by trying to contact her, and then going from there.

But yes, there are still people using the mushrooms as they have been for a LONG time.

Offlinealphaone
Big Detail
Male
Re: Do real mushroom curanderos still exist? [Re: dwpineal]
    #8680153 - 07/25/08 12:01 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you dwpineal,

The problem is, the post on that blog was not posted by Kathleen Harrison, but by a certain Miguel, who might not know Kathleen personally.

I can try to contact him by email, though...

It is ironic that almost nobody knows or is interested in the original mushroom shamans (curanderos), although this board is devoted to mushrooms.

That would be almost as if you had a big forum devoted to buddhist meditation, but almost no one could tell you how to find a buddhist monastery.

Quote:

dwpineal said:
See if you can get in touch with Kathleen Harrison. She's been living with and working with the Mazatec Indians in the mountains of Mexico for several decades I believe. I saw a presentation she did recently and she was talking about indigenous uses of psychotropics and she had some pictures of local psilocybes.

I found this;
http://rainystair.blogspot.com/2006/03/writings-by-kathleen-harrison.html

and she is also a presenter at this year's Telluride Mushroom Festival.

I would start my search by trying to contact her, and then going from there.

But yes, there are still people using the mushrooms as they have been for a LONG time.

Offlinemoe.ron
Coral Reefer

Loc: Edge City
    #8680199 - 07/25/08 12:17 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

alphaone said:

It is ironic that almost nobody knows or is interested in the original mushroom shamans (curanderos), although this board is devoted to mushrooms.

That would be almost as if you had a big forum devoted to buddhist meditation, but almost no one could tell you how to find a buddhist monastery.

Stick it. This board disseminates information for the cultivation and responsible use of Psilocybe mushrooms in WHATEVER TRADITION folks see fit. I have found it inexhaustibly useful. Lots of us are working on our own traditions of learning and healing within our own communities and find your implication that we should be looking elsewhere vaguely insulting.

Just because you find a path interesting, doesn't mean we all will...

Sorry,...just seems a little narrow minded.

--------------------
Boy Man God Shit...

Offlinealphaone
Big Detail
Male
Re: Do real mushroom curanderos still exist? [Re: moe.ron]
    #8680253 - 07/25/08 12:34 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

moe.ron said:
Stick it. This board disseminates information for the cultivation and responsible use of Psilocybe mushrooms in WHATEVER TRADITION folks see fit. I have found it inexhaustibly useful. Lots of us are working on our own traditions of learning and healing within our own communities and find your implication that we should be looking elsewhere vaguely insulting.

Just because you find a path interesting, doesn't mean we all will...

Sorry,...just seems a little narrow minded.

I did not ask anybody to renounce their own tradition.
I asked if anybody knew somebody who worked according to the ORIGINAL tradition.

I did not say that the original tradition was the only  or best way towards expanded consciousness.

I am primarily interested in the healing aspect of the original veladas, and I am not aware that anyone in the West uses mushrooms exactly in that way (as they are used among the Mexican natives).

Your reasoning about this matter is wrong, I'm afraid. And it wouldn't hurt if you controlled your anger a bit.

Edited by alphaone (07/25/08 12:39 PM)

Offlinemoe.ron
Coral Reefer

#8680300 - 07/25/08 12:46 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not angry...far be it...I'm enjoying a slow Friday at work. About to eat lunch. I just read a lot of pseudo-religo-holier-than though stuff around here and wanted to nip this little bit of it in the butt.

Plus I wouldn't say that the Mexican tradition is the original tradition, just a strong one that RG Wasson brought to the modern world's attention. Id say ORIGINAL goes to the pre-man arboreal moneys that came down from the trees to the "mushroom speckled plains of northern Africa" to paraphrase T McK.

Also, don't you think these kind folks, of what I assume to be simple ways, have better things to do than to entertain international hipster seekers?

That is why the shroomery is here, so you can grow your own, learn your own lessons, and let others be...

--------------------
Boy Man God Shit...

Offlinealphaone
Big Detail
Male
    #8680656 - 07/25/08 02:40 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

As I said in my original post, I would like to come into contact with a curandero / curandera from Mexico who practices the ancient art of healing by using psilocybe mushrooms.

By stating this question, I did not mean to pass any judgments about the other uses of the mushroom. The question was not meant to be an insult to Western users and growers of the mushrooms, nor did I want to start a debate about what way of their use is better.

Read my original post again - that's all I asked. Is it so hard to understand?

If I had wanted to debate the question you raised in your posts, I would have asked it in the philosophy or some other part of this forum, and I would have formulated the question in that particular way.

Just for the record, I do not think that our "Western" use of the mushrooms is wrong.

Edited by alphaone (07/25/08 02:42 PM)

Offlinemoe.ron
Coral Reefer

#8680850 - 07/25/08 03:46 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

^I get that...

Its not the original post that bothers me.

Its the part where you snidely question the knowledge/devotion/direction/agenda of this board that bothers me.

My impression is that most folks are here to grow and trip...not as an international network of shamans or scholars.

Than being said, I hope you and the mushrooms have and continue to have a strong and fulfilling relationship that brings you peace and understanding.

--------------------
Boy Man God Shit...

Offlinemaynardsdick
Stranger

#8680880 - 07/25/08 03:58 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

moeron: stop actin' like a moron.  thanks.

Offlinealphaone
Big Detail
Male
    #8680927 - 07/25/08 04:12 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

moe.ron said:
^I get that...

Its not the original post that bothers me.

Its the part where you snidely question the knowledge/devotion/direction/agenda of this board that bothers me.

I did nothing of the sort.

Edited by alphaone (07/25/08 04:34 PM)

InvisibleGr33nTree73
 User Gallery

Loc: 585/843
    #8681203 - 07/25/08 05:22 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

They showed this exact sort of thing on the History Channels show on psychedelics, or maybe it was National Geographic.  Anyways it was filmed last year and the host went to something exactly like you're speaking of somewhere in Mexico and he as well as five or so other people, native to the area, were there to obtain healing.

So yes they are still around, where, i do not know

--------------------

Invisibledwpineal
Psychedelic Artist
 User Gallery

#8683512 - 07/26/08 09:41 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

alphaone,

yes the article I posted was not from Kathleen herself, but maybe with some research you could uncover some contact info for her somewhere. She may have a mailing address, e-mail or phone number out there on the web. Alternatively, I mentioned that she is going to be a speaker at the Telluride Mushroom Festival next month. They have a website. Maybe you could contact them and see if they have any way to contact her or get a message to her.

Here's another of her articles, again not posted by her, but for your information to see if this person is interested in the same things you are searching for.

http://www.terrain.org/essays/3/harrison.htm

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder