Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheColonel
Ahhh!
Male

Loc: Gulf of Mexico on a Boat
Black Kow and My First Grow.
    #8679628 - 07/25/08 09:11 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hello All,

Well I started this hobby on May 5th.

Inoculated 3 lb bag of rye.

Noticed signs about 7 days later I kept it under my sink in a trash bag for 6 weeks.

I shook the bag about every other week after first signs. From what I have read, It can take 3 weeks or longer but I have learned to develop patients so I wasnt that jittery.

I guess it was on the 19th or 20th of June I noticed something in the bag it was either blue or green. was hard to distinguish. I thought "oh no Ive waited this long and now i have CONTAMS". I was quite literally frightened. Got a few tools. (knife, scissors, spoon, alcohol, plastic bags)

I want to tell you though.

I AM NOT A STERILE PERSON. I bring this rye bad and my tools outside on the pavement. and i cut it open about 2pm. Blazing SUN.

I grab my tray (kitty litter box from walmart lined with trash bag)and dump my substrate into it. about an inch deep.

Substrate (Black Kow Manure)

I reach into my bag of rye and pull out chunks at a time and break it up while my hands are in my sandwich bags. The blue/green parts i find i put in a cup.

After chunks are semi spread out I have a few huge chunks in a couple of the corners and elsewhere. I dump a good 2 or so inches of Black Kow over my spawn. It has hills. smallest part being perhaps 3 inches deep to 4 inches. It is not a level surface.

I placed a trash bag around the top of the tray placed it in a cardboard box and put a trash bag over that. (rains a lot didnt want to get water logged.

I check the tray once after 2 days just to make sure everything is going well. and it is I started to see some rhizo growth thru the sub on top. From what I have seen it takes usually 4 to 7 days to have the substrate colonize. Well I check on it again a couple days later.

12 days It is time. It wasnt all white like i have seen other grows.

Just a lot of rhizo growth everywhere. and I was getting impatient. I could see rhizo growth over 90% of the surface and well I got my case.

I read about MGMC. and thought it might be good. So I got some lime. But it was the wrong kind. So... took some MGMC pseudo pasteurized it (microwave style) and used that as my case... thing is I didnt realize how big my tray was and i couldnt cover it all. maybe only 98% of it. and i would say it was about 1/5inch thick.

I put some plastic wrap over it and sprayed and fanned. next day I noticed some growth over taking the casing. didnt worry. Gave it 12/12.

I keep my tray outside Always. A few reasons. I give it SUN, and FRESH AIR. not indoor air. and since i have no buffer or no place inside i need the most natural habitat for my little friend if they ever come.

about 5 days go by, and BOOM. My casing is almost 100% colonized. granted it is VERY thin. I could now see the substrate very clearly and was getting frustrated. The mycelium was just Owning the MGMC. I have read that people just fruit without casings. so I figure Ill try to get something out of this since you can still see the substrate. i thought perhaps my humidity wasnt good enough. so i did the wax paper thing. crumbled put on top did this on and off for a week. no pins.

Im a failure. I have little hills all over my casing MGMC got owned by my myc. and wtf is the issue.

another casing??

I goto walmart, Lowes, the depot, nursery, target, taco bell (for lunch) and i cant find Jiffy anywhere!!!

Well Im sitting on my porch yelling at my tray to grow eating my burrito. and BOOM! Something hits me... I have a jiffy tray with unproduced sunflower seeds just baking in the sun everyday. Since Im already fucked. I start popping out little clumps at a time of jiffy mix into a glad tub. I also found some verm. Saturate, Nuke. and BOOM. Time to apply a new casing.

I mixed my verm with the jiffy. and applied it with some latex gloves. Still have little mounds but I got it more level.

Mixture probably 65/35 verm peat. MGMC under it.

A Cased Cased Substrate.

Well I put my wax paper mist about 4 to 8 times and fan at the same time.

I DID NOT Re-Incubate after Either CASING. 1st or 2nd. I dont think I need to being outside.

Great FAE and Bright Sunshine

Mycelium start to show on my new casing 1 1/2 days later.

I was going out of town and I couldnt mist or fan. So I thought of a interesting idea. I dint have a tub. I just have a tray with sometimes plastic wrap or wax paper. So I..

Found a cardboard box. lined with trash bags, found a plastic storage box. Added Moistened perlite to it. and put that in the box. cut holes in the box, duct taped the trash bag thru the holes. and put some polyfill there. 4 holes. perlite and now i have a ghettofied Fruit Chamber. Put my tray in it on two can goods. (I needed to put it on the metal cans or else it wouldnt be balanced) I put Plastic wrap over 2/3 of the top of the box and used the plastic storage box cover for the middle. I misted it inside a bunch and misted my tray a bunch.

I left for the weekend and came back on Monday morning.

I had about 25 pins.

next day 40 pins.

next day 80 pins.

next day almost 200 pins.

Here are a few photos from yesterday.

My issue is, the pins that I first saw on Monday havent exploded with size. This makes me nervous because this is my first time ever doing this. Never did cakes, This is my first venture in growing. They get Excellent FAE, Light. Humidity varies. It has to be near 100% since more pins are coming.

I have not fully succeeded yet but I wish to thank Bluelou and his shit pile style thread that inspired me to be different with the Black Kow and give it a chance IT WORKS! RR, Agar, Joshua, HippieChick, Hyphae, and to so many more here, if it werent for the hours and hours of reading your materials that I have done this wouldnt have ever been possible. so thanks to you all. You have all inspired me. Now Help me bring this grow home! Or I fail lol

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefluffyshapes
lowly lotus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Georgia
Re: Black Kow and My First Grow. [Re: TheColonel]
    #8679730 - 07/25/08 09:43 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

congrats!

Better than anything I've ever thrown outdoors :smile:

+5, sir

OfflineTheColonel
Ahhh!
Male

Re: Black Kow and My First Grow. [Re: fluffyshapes]
    #8679771 - 07/25/08 09:59 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Do you have any idea why my pins aren't exploding with growth? its been almost a week. The smaller ones have of course have got larger, but nothing explosive. They get Great FAE, and alot of partial sun/shade... Today I put some plastic over my tray maybe it needs better humidity and less FAE??? Not sure though. Any help would be helpful. Great name Fluffy.

and again thanks.

The Colonel

Invisiblesmokedout420
The EnlightenedOne
Male User Gallery

#8680786 - 07/25/08 03:23 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

deleted

Edited by smokedout420 (07/25/08 03:24 PM)

Invisiblepsylopsycho
Motivational Speaker
Male

Loc: The Tundra
Re: Black Kow and My First Grow. [Re: smokedout420]
    #8681329 - 07/25/08 05:56 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Is there no lid on that tub?

You need a high RH

Doesn't look like you have that.

--------------------

Someone actually said: "some 1 told me to try long brown rice and water and vermiculite and pressure cook for 1 hour i did but nothing happen that is y was wonting to no if i need spores ""

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
    #8681647 - 07/25/08 07:51 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Pins don't usually explode with growth right away. They stay pins for quite awhile. 4-7 days maybe? Then they blow up.

Invisiblemello
Stranger

#8681652 - 07/25/08 07:53 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

im very suprised it has gotten this far.. goodluck my friend

OfflineTheColonel
Ahhh!
Male

Re: Black Kow and My First Grow. [Re: mello]
    #8682202 - 07/25/08 10:33 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you for more responses. Sorry for some of my grammar mistakes with my posts. Woke up when i wrote this.

psylopsycho

I took my tray out of my poorly constructed FC and covered it with some plastic wrap and poked some holes in it with a steak knife. I am afraid I have over misted them in the last 5 days. Pulled several aborts off so I think I may just ride out the flush. My tray with plastic wrap should suffice for my RH I hope. The Plastic is my top you could say.

Mad river

THANK YOU for that information.. Several of the grows I have seen show mushrooms Blowing up from pin to veil tearing in a 3 to 5 day period. So If they wont blow up to full sized shrooms for a few more days I can wait. I just thought they would finish there cycle sooner. But hey great info and thank you for responding. :smile:

mello

Im curious to why you are surprised that my grow has got this far? I know it seems different... But I would like to hear your two cents. Everything is helpful :smile: 

The Colonel

OfflineDeathloc
Stranger
Male

#8682254 - 07/25/08 10:47 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Dang dude luuucky!

That is gonna be a big harvest!

Might I suggest if you dry them, put in the oven at 250 degrees, It's supposed to retain 50% more psilocybin/psilocin that way.

Offlinedstark
Manifesting Minds
Male User Gallery

#8682782 - 07/26/08 01:47 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Nice story there :thumbup: ^^

5 for ya :laugh:

--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
Re: Black Kow and My First Grow. [Re: Deathloc]
    #8682788 - 07/26/08 01:51 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Deathloc said:
Dang dude luuucky!

That is gonna be a big harvest!

Might I suggest if you dry them, put in the oven at 250 degrees, It's supposed to retain 50% more psilocybin/psilocin that way.

Really? Where did you hear that? That sounds sketchy to me.

Offlineletsdothis
Littering and smokin' the reefer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Texas
Re: Black Kow and My First Grow. [Re: Mad River]
    #8682884 - 07/26/08 02:38 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I agree that does sound sketchy. I know I've read quite a few places that heat can diminish the psilocybin content of the mushrooms. I've also learned not to believe everything that I read on these sites and keep an open mind!

If heat were to break down the magic ingredient we love so much, how would mushroom tea be possible? Also I've heard people talking about smoking mushrooms, this wouldn't work either if heat played a role.

Back to the tea... If heat does in fact break down psilocybin in the mushroom, does it break it down to where it is completely useless? Or does it break it down into its partner psilocin which is what happens in your stomach when eaten. I definately don't have the experience or knowledge yet to say which might be correct.

Any thoughts?

--------------------

"erotic or not, this is 'mushroom sex'." The Mushroom Cultivator

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: IL/MO/FL/TX/HI/OR
Re: Black Kow and My First Grow. [Re: letsdothis]
    #8683023 - 07/26/08 03:51 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

damn man, that deserves 5.

not bcuz you were completely unorthodox in your methods, but bcuz you actually got fruits after being so

if you can yield that when you do things improperly imagine what youll get when you do them right

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

"The Downfall of Mankind; is Believing He Has Limitations."

OfflineOzzy_shroomer
Mystery Machine
Male User Gallery

Loc: Summer All Year
Re: Black Kow and My First Grow. [Re: just me]
    #8683119 - 07/26/08 04:43 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Well Done Man :mjdance:

--------------------

Invisiblethemange
Senior Citizen
Male

Re: Black Kow and My First Grow. [Re: Deathloc]
    #8683320 - 07/26/08 07:54 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Deathloc said:
put in the oven at 250 degrees, It's supposed to retain 50% more psilocybin/psilocin that way.

that's false. you shouldn't spread misinformation.

Quote:

I've heard people talking about smoking mushrooms, this wouldn't work either if heat played a role

it doesn't work. you can't get high off smoking mushrooms.

boiling water only brings up the temp to 212.

when you take it off the stove to mix the mushrooms in, its already getting cooler by the second.

tea will not noticably effect potency.

Edited by themange (07/26/08 08:40 AM)

Offlineletsdothis
Male User Gallery

Re: Black Kow and My First Grow. [Re: themange]
    #8684344 - 07/26/08 01:50 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Did a little more research on the heat factor... Found this page that shows the melting and boiling points of various tryptamines including both psilocin and psilocybin:

http://mv.lycaeum.org/mu/tryptamine_vapor.html

Psilocins lowest melting point was at 173 C which comes out to roughly 350 degrees F. It seems that you'd have to add a hell of a lot of heat in order to really do any damage, but who knows how accurate this chart is. Just thought I'd share it!

--------------------

OfflineTheColonel
Ahhh!
Male

#8691377 - 07/28/08 06:35 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Wow Thank You all for these responses. I keep running into a problem with my fruits/pins. Perhaps some of you can shine some light on this problem for me. Several of my pinheads keep turning black. sometimes the stems get a little dark but on average its just the caps but the stems keep growing. What am I doing wrong? I stopped misting cause I thought this could be the problem but im not sure. I dont think its black mold. This past weekend I pulled several of my black capped pins out and gobbled them down. Just the normal discomfort nothing more. Any Ideas to what my problem is? I can post a pic in a little while. I must have picked atleast 50 pins with this problem and each day there seems to be a few more black caps.

Thank You for all of your help! and I appreciate the ratings!!

OfflineTheColonel
Ahhh!
Male

#8691396 - 07/28/08 06:52 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Alright, Here are some pictures.

Edited by TheColonel (07/28/08 07:00 AM)

OfflineTheColonel
Ahhh!
Male

#8691422 - 07/28/08 07:15 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

In these pictures you can see some black caps.

Thank You for any info you can offer. I have read that black caps means aborts. But I am curious how i am causing this. Thanks.

The Colonel

Invisiblethemange
Senior Citizen
Male

#8691505 - 07/28/08 07:59 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

pins with black heads are called aborts. they are common and unless all your fruits are doing this everything is normal. people say that by weight, they are much more potent than a mature mushroom.

misting directly and anything that causes trauma to the developing pin can cause them to abort. sometimes a fruit near it will draw all the nutrients in that area and cause smaller ones around it to abort as well.

those pics look great! keep us updated.:mushroom2:

Edited by themange (07/28/08 08:24 AM)

OfflineTheColonel
Ahhh!
Male

#8691906 - 07/28/08 10:56 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Alright cool. I guess it was my over misting! I had ALOT of FAE and thought this would be alright. Guess I was wrong. Thats Okay though. Cause I will have many. I will just add water in between the little ones. Thank You.

The Colonel

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

#8692239 - 07/28/08 12:37 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

:hi5:

--------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

Offlineletsdothis
Male User Gallery

#8693394 - 07/28/08 05:46 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

colonel, with your black kow substrate did you pasteurize it first or just wet it to field capacity before you spawned to it? I've heard black kow doesn't need to be pasteurized but I think I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'm trying to do a method just like this since I recently purchased a huge bag of black kow... any extra tips are much appreciated!

--------------------

OfflineOzzy_shroomer
Mystery Machine
Male User Gallery

Loc: Summer All Year
    #8693596 - 07/28/08 06:40 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i just did my first cow ones about two weeks ago, corn spawned to cow,

What i did was crush it all up mixed it with what i thoguht was fluffy mix with Verm, wet to field cap.. and then pasteurized it.

Now all i have is nice white growth all over the sub and ready to case  :2cents:

--------------------

OfflineChi Ro
Jive Ass Turkey
Male

Loc: Right hurr!
    #8693719 - 07/28/08 07:04 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

You're a bastard. :P

--------------------

OfflineTheColonel
Ahhh!
Male

Re: Black Kow and My First Grow. [Re: Chi Ro]
    #8696089 - 07/29/08 06:04 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

letsdothis

All I did was scoop it out (16 oz cup) of the bag, added my Rye, and put more Black Kow on top. I did not pasturize anything. *except my casings microwave style*. I didnt add water to it either. I always keep my Tray outside. So I keep it in fresh moving air. Im not worried about contams. I had my Kow bag on my porch for 2,3 months before I used it. Bag didnt really have any large tears. I wish the best of luck to you! If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

The Colonel

Edited by TheColonel (07/29/08 07:44 AM)

OfflineTheColonel
Ahhh!
Male

#8696105 - 07/29/08 06:20 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Heres another picture of this morning, Some pins are missing i pulled some yesterday (aborts). But heres how it looks now.

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #8696301 - 07/29/08 08:00 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

they look a bit too tall and skinny... how's the FAE and lighting?

--------------------

OfflineTheColonel
Ahhh!
Male

Re: Black Kow and My First Grow. [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #8696442 - 07/29/08 08:48 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

They have great FAE, the reason a few of those look tall and skinny is the other day i put some plastic wrap on them and forgot to put some holes in it. was in a rush to do something and didnt get to take it off for 20 hours. that could be why they look so thin and tall?... lighting they get atleast 8 hours of indirect a day and usually more. I picked a bunch a while ago, had black caps and had alot of little ones i had to pick also. Making room for the next group of guys. In my next flush I will be much more careful. I keep getting the caps wet. I think my next flush I wont even bother watering/misting. just want to see how well my sub and case pump them out. and leave them in my ghettofied FC. just with no polyfil. so they can get more FAE. I expect my next flush to be better since I didnt really have any get large enough to drop spores. I still have maybe 10 to 15 big ones left that could get to that stage but i guess I will see tomorrow.

The Colonel

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

#8697025 - 07/29/08 11:38 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

damn bro thats a lot of aborts.

pick em when you see em, and eat em all :crazy2:

--------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

OfflineTheColonel
Ahhh!
Male

#8697198 - 07/29/08 12:13 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Im drying them right now, Planning on going on a nice Amusement Park Trip in the next week :smile:.. Just wish I didnt over mist, another thing I noticed is with wax paper or plastic wrap, the condensation caused would drip onto my mushrooms and would turn parts of them black. and after awhile the whole cap would be blacked out. Shit happens, but atleast I have learned. :smile:

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

#8697212 - 07/29/08 12:17 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

TheColonel said:
Shit happens, but atleast I have learned. :smile:

wise beyond your years

--------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

OfflineHoobashank
Stranger
 User Gallery

#13091414 - 08/23/10 04:34 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

it looks like there too dry, are you keeping them in direct sunlight? You want them in the shade.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate