Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekiyote
Apprentice Grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Near Chicago
Outdoor grow and mixing question
    #8645854 - 07/17/08 06:29 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Okay, if there is an obvious reason why this wont work and Im just being a stupid noob, let me know, so here we go:

Okay, I have about half a dozen 1/2 pint PF jars that are almost completely colonized that Im planning on doing an outdoor grow with.  Im planning on using a verm-cPoo mix as the substrate.  Im going to mix substrate and jars real good and put them into pits that Ive dug.

So heres the question:  I know that in grain jars the jars get shaken up in order to speed the spread of mycelium.  Would this same idea work on outdoor grows too?  I know that I mix things up good in the beginning, but 3, 4 days later would it be beneficial to take a shovel and mix up the substrate again to spread the mycelium to parts of cPoo that havent been colonized yet?

Or is the mixing something specific only to grains, maybe the side-effect of having an inoculation point or to help spread the mycelium through a substrate thats made up of large grains?

Give me your comments or critiques!  Thank you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleroquet
Expat tippler
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dubai بجدية عربي...
Re: Outdoor grow and mixing question [Re: kiyote]
    #8645972 - 07/17/08 07:31 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

kiyote said:
So heres the question:  I know that in grain jars the jars get shaken up in order to speed the spread of mycelium.  Would this same idea work on outdoor grows too?  I know that I mix things up good in the beginning, but 3, 4 days later would it be beneficial to take a shovel and mix up the substrate again to spread the mycelium to parts of cPoo that havent been colonized yet?

No, shaking's only for jars.  Either pre-mix your spawn and substrate or put down a layer of sub in the hole, then sprinkle with a layer of spawn and repeat a couple of times. Maybe put some cardboard/dark plastic sheeting/straw over the top to keep off the sun and retain moisture.

Here's a log of one I did last year from start to finish. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7246615/an/0/page/0

Offlinekiyote
Apprentice Grower
Male User Gallery

Re: Outdoor grow and mixing question [Re: roquet]
    #8646150 - 07/17/08 09:05 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

roquet said:

No, shaking's only for jars.  Either pre-mix your spawn and substrate or put down a layer of sub in the hole, then sprinkle with a layer of spawn and repeat a couple of times.

Okay, that's fair, but what's the rational behind it?  Does the mixing cause too much damage to the mycelium with too little returns for it to be worth it?

Quote:

Maybe put some cardboard/dark plastic sheeting/straw over the top to keep off the sun and retain moisture.

I have both straw and a grass seeding mat (seedless of course) for this purpose.  Do you think the mat would work?

Quote:

Here's a log of one I did last year from start to finish. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7246615/an/0/page/0

Thanks, but the link is broken :frown:

Invisibleroquet
Expat tippler
Male User Gallery

#8646208 - 07/17/08 09:32 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

the link works ok when I click on your quote. It's also on my journal.

Yeah, the mat should be good. Shaking isn't essential for jars either and may actually damage myc. I've noticed when I shake straight after shooting with LC, they end up less white than the ones I didn't shake. Disturbing your spawned substrate would risk comtams and possibly have no benefit.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8646302 - 07/17/08 10:07 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I've noticed when I shake straight after shooting with LC, they end up less white than the ones I didn't shake

You really shouldn't shake grain jars after inoculation, whether you use liquid or spores.  Let the mycelium get established first.  Shake at 20% to 30% for the one and only time.

As roquet said, don't mess with outdoor patches after you make them.  I'd skip the verm, and simply use coir and some bagged up cow manure from the local nursery if you don't have access to a stable or something.  Instead of verm, mix a bit of the local soil into the coir/manure.  Cover with straw or cardboard and water just enough to prevent drying out.  Wait a month or so, and if it hasn't rained hard by then, place a lawn sprinkler in the area and run for a few consecutive days, an hour or two each day.

It also helps with outdoor patches to plant some grass seed on top.  The blades of grass help to hold a high humidity right at the surface where pins form.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineThe
Some Asshole
Male

#8646326 - 07/17/08 10:13 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

roquet said:
the link works ok when I click on your quote. It's also on my journal.

Yeah, the mat should be good. Shaking isn't essential for jars either and may actually damage myc. I've noticed when I shake straight after shooting with LC, they end up less white than the ones I didn't shake. Disturbing your spawned substrate would risk comtams and possibly have no benefit.

it doesn't work for me as well.

Invisibleroquet
Expat tippler
Male User Gallery

Re: Outdoor grow and mixing question [Re: The]
    #8646356 - 07/17/08 10:21 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Offlinekiyote
Apprentice Grower
Male User Gallery

#8646637 - 07/17/08 11:39 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry mate, it says access denied.  Maybe its not a public journal?

Offlinekiyote
Apprentice Grower
Male User Gallery

#8646668 - 07/17/08 11:48 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

As roquet said, don't mess with outdoor patches after you make them.  I'd skip the verm, and simply use coir and some bagged up cow manure from the local nursery if you don't have access to a stable or something.

Okay, I was planning on using verm in order to keep the water content fairly up. 

I was under the impression that because Cubes are a tropic plant I had to keep them fairly well watered, dedicating some time every day to the patch.  I take it that if I watered heavily from the beginning it would speed up my first pining but decrease my yield?  This is actually good to know, the place I'm planting isn't easily accessed with a hose so I was planning on touting jugs of water for hydration. 

If it doesn't rain after the month (it might not, I'm in the Midwest during the dry season) I might just have to go out and fill up a large number of jugs and water it by hand for the hour or so...

Invisibleroquet
Expat tippler
Male User Gallery

#8647907 - 07/17/08 04:32 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

kiyote said:
Quote:

roquet said:

Thanks, but the link is broken :frown:

Turns out you need to be registered at least 10 days to view Grow Log forum posts. I'm guessing "access denied" is what you're getting with the same link in my journal rather than getting into the journal to start with. You should be able to see it ok tomorrow. At least it's not Marketplace - that takes 3 months! (or is it 6?)

Offlinekiyote
Apprentice Grower
Male User Gallery

#8648131 - 07/17/08 05:44 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Ah, okay.  Thanks, I didn't know about the time limits!  (I guess I should read those intro posts and threads more closely <.<  >.> )

Offlinekiyote
Apprentice Grower
Male User Gallery

#8651925 - 07/18/08 04:42 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Still no access.  Maybe it takes longer than 10 days?  ::shrugs::

Offlinekiyote
Apprentice Grower
Male User Gallery

#8655148 - 07/19/08 01:17 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Funny, I think I can get at other journals now but still not yours...

Invisibleroquet
Expat tippler
Male User Gallery

#8656287 - 07/19/08 07:01 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

so you can't get into my journal at all? Or you can get in but can't open the GT outdoor grown log thread?

Offlinekiyote
Apprentice Grower
Male User Gallery

#8672919 - 07/23/08 05:50 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hey, finally I got access!  It must have been two weeks and not ten days ^^

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Loc: Down the rabbit hole...
    #8672982 - 07/23/08 06:08 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

kiyote,
hopefully you've already seen this. If not...ENJOY.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4563577/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

--------------------
Diabetes causes hamsters.

Invisibleroquet
Expat tippler
Male User Gallery

#8673188 - 07/23/08 06:54 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

kiyote said:
Hey, finally I got access!  It must have been two weeks and not ten days ^^

Hope it was worth it! :smile:

Offlinekiyote
Apprentice Grower
Male User Gallery

#8675679 - 07/24/08 09:45 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

It was!  I think I made the mistake of using too little spawn; I only added around 6 1/2 pint jars.  It might still grow it'll just probably take longer..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract