Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSethwick
Stranger
Quart jar way, holes, tape, and contam
    #8664655 - 07/21/08 07:50 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I bought some whole grain brown rice before I found organic BRF, so Ive been thinking of trying the Quart Jar way presented in the grow guides section here at the Shroomery. Im also making some PF cakes using RRs videos, this would be a secondary adventure in mushroom growing after I make some LC (Im afraid Ill have planned building a whole house dedicated to mushroom growing before my spores finally get here, the impatience burns). I read the guide but parts of it make me nervous.

It seems to me that a single, small hole (only need one because you shake things up) would be better to combat contams than lifting the lid, even barely as suggested in the guide. Am I right or is lifting the lid actually a good way to inoculate a rice jar?

Secondly, with the PF cakes you have a layer of dry verm to protect from contams, making it okay to leave holes in the lid for air exchange. It seems in the Quart Jar way you would have no protective layer and thus it would be quite dangerous to leave the jar unsealed, but a sealed jar would probably slow down or stall colonization, right? So, would I want to seal the jars, or leave the lids slightly lose? If I made a hole, would I want to tape it or not?

I tried searching for threads on the Quart Jar way, and although there were a few I couldnt find specific answers to my questions. Im sorry if these have been asked and answered before.

Thank you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
Re: Quart jar way, holes, tape, and contam [Re: Sethwick]
    #8664755 - 07/21/08 08:11 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

What seems to work for me is;

1) Upside down lid disk with three holes drilled into it, a 3/8" hole in the center for gas exchange, two 1/8" holes on the edge of the lid disk, located across from each other, for inoculation with the syringe.

2) Tyvek "filter" cut from mail envelope. I cut this round so it is neater when done.

3) Assembled like so;  upside down lid disk, tyvek, lid ring. I mark the inoculation holes with a pen before I PC so I don't have to screw around trying to find them. After inoculation, I put a piece of tape over the needle holes.

At first, I used both Tyvek and Poly-fil. I read that that was redundant, so I only use the Tyvek now with good results.

:2cents:  :goodluck:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

OfflineSethwick
Stranger
Re: Quart jar way, holes, tape, and contam [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8664790 - 07/21/08 08:15 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah I remembered tyvek soon after posting. I'll probably end up doing it that way.

When you say you tape over the needle holes, do you put the tape on the tyvek or the lid iself? If the tyvek, does that men you unscrew the ring entirely after sterilizing?

Thank you.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #8664878 - 07/21/08 08:41 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Whole grain brown rice can be made into BRF by grinding it in a coffee grinder or blender. This is usually cheaper (and fresher) than buying premade BRF.

That tek is a bit dated ('02), which is the reason you can't find any posts about it. Personally, I have NEVER seen anyone use that tek in the years I've been lurking here.

I would stick with the PF method in RR's video. It will produce roughly the same yields as the quart jar tek you're talking about with much less risk of contamination. It's a tried and true method that people have been using for over a decade. This is the link to the original tek c/o fungifun.org:

http://www.fungifun.org/fanaticus/index.htm

Whatever tek you decide on STICK WITH IT. I see the most confusion from noobs that take bits of information from various teks and start confusing details and terminology of one tek with many others. Find a tek that seems doable to you and follow it to a "T". You can start experimenting once you have an idea of what you're doing.

Good luck :thumbup:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineHattori Hanzo
Are You Experienced?
Male User Gallery

Loc: South of the Mason Dixie ...
    #8664892 - 07/21/08 08:45 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Good answer BrandNewbie. I must say, I made a recent post with no consensus.

I have done a lot of studying of LIDS. Search lids. Ultimate Lids.

I just bought some 3M microspore tape. It is like tyvek with sticky stuff on one side. Tyvek is NOT self healing, so in the glovebox, repair the hole made by the needle with the microspore tape.

Hope it helps for what it's worth.

H.H.

--------------------
First Grow Log
GT&TX DoubleTubs
Malabars and Hawaiians

Keep your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you. --unknown

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

#8664907 - 07/21/08 08:48 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Sethwick said:
Yeah I remembered tyvek soon after posting. I'll probably end up doing it that way.

When you say you tape over the needle holes, do you put the tape on the tyvek or the lid iself? If the tyvek, does that men you unscrew the ring entirely after sterilizing?

Thank you.

I tape the Tyvek at the inoculation holes. No.  It goes like this: jar, lid, Tyvek, ring. The ring will mold the Tyvek to the threads of the jar.

--------------------

OfflineSethwick
Stranger
    #8664934 - 07/21/08 08:56 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I know I can grind the rice, that's why I bought it, but I don't really have a good coffee grinder, and organic BRF seems to work fine for a lot of people. The rice was just a precaution if I didn't manage to find BRF. I thought I might as well use it in something once I have some liquid culture ready (seems like you have inoculant to spare if you get some good LC bottles).

I'm not going to mix teks together, but I am going to try different teks at different times to see which works best for me. First one will be straight RR PF Tek though.

OfflineSethwick
Stranger
    #8664943 - 07/21/08 08:57 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

BrandNewbie said:
Quote:

Sethwick said:

Thank you.

I tape the Tyvek at the inoculation holes. No.  It goes like this: jar, lid, Tyvek, ring. The ring will mold the Tyvek to the threads of the jar.

Okay, thanks. I understood the order but I was unsure if you undid it after inoculation or not. It didn't seem likely, but I wanted to make sure I had the right idea. Better safe than sorry.

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

#8664970 - 07/21/08 09:03 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Here is an old post. Check out what Agar posted. It's a pictorial of the order. Hope this helps!

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4521321#4521321

--------------------

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

#8664976 - 07/21/08 09:05 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Do not PC with the coffee filter "dust cover". Use tin foil for the PC, then dust cover, OR micro-pore tape!

--------------------

OfflineSethwick
Stranger
    #8673389 - 07/23/08 07:39 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quick question: If I grow invitro in quart jars using the tyvek filter as described above, is there any way I could try to replenish moisture inside the jars without inviting contamination? I could mist the tyvek, but from what I've read wet tyvek can be bad.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract