Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Oyster Shell, Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTriGuy
Skeptic

Loc: Georgia
Is there a problem with long incubation?
    #866971 - 09/06/02 10:47 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hey all,

This is my 3rd attempt. The first one was minimally successful and I did the PF naked cake in the humid aquarium tek. The second was all white and clean mushroomy smelling, but did nothing in the aquarium under what seemed like the same conditions. This time I want to try casing them, since both previous attempts had near perfect colonization, but little or no success with the aquarium.

I just started a dozen Hawaiian jars from one PF syringe (stretched it a bit). They are 6 days old and seem to have healthy initial growth with no visible contams. They were carefully prepared and pressure sterilized. I got that part down!
However, I am leaving for 3 weeks and intended to let them incubate quietly while I was away. When I return, my plan is to case the whole lot of them together with the 50/50 sterile peat/verm/oyster shell/hydrated-lime casing. I read that the HA variety is slow to colonize and pin, but rapid flushing. However, they seem to be really chewing up the rice/verm 1/2 pint cakes and already have one third of the surface covered!
With all that background, I'm worried that they will be overgrown inside the jars and that I'll kill them. What are the dangers in over colonization for that variety?
I guess they might dry out huh? They are in the original jar box now, so I was thinking of wrapping the whole box in a plastic garbage bag. Any advice about that or anything else I should watch out for would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: Is there a problem with long incubation? [Re: TriGuy]
    #866976 - 09/06/02 10:49 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I would stick the jars in a cool, dark place and not worry. If you could find a spot that was in the low 70's, that would be ideal.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

OfflineTriGuy
Skeptic

Loc: Georgia
Re: Is there a problem with long incubation? [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #867182 - 09/06/02 12:30 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the quick reply!
I have the upside down holey lids and foil wrap on the jars and the jars in the cardboard box, and the cardboard box in a plastic storage bin with a snap on (not leakproof) lid. I live in a fairly humid climate. Do you think they will be ok as far as NOT drying out?

OfflineMaveric2112
journeyman
Loc: My name is God so there f...
Re: Is there a problem with long incubation? [Re: TriGuy]
    #867221 - 09/06/02 12:54 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

You'll be fine I wouldn't worry about it but.... if you started your jars from a syringe I would not mix all those jars together and case but instead would take the jar that looks the best and use it as a master jar to inoculate ten more. That way they trully are the same strain. It will improve your yields

--------------------
Ahh what the hell am I talking about? I just like to make up stories. In short, I'm full of Sh$t!!!!!!

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: Is there a problem with long incubation? [Re: Maveric2112]
    #867275 - 09/06/02 01:40 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

That way they trully are the same strain.

Where did you get this idea? A typical PF jar innoculated with a spore syringe contains many, many different dikaryotic strains. If he truly wants an isolate, cloning the most charismatic specimen on agar is a better way to go.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Oyster Shell, Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation