Home | Community | Message Board

HighDesertSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

Loc: Your computer screen
Re: Man busted for 14,000 hits of LSD [NY] [Re: kindadank]
    #8703128 - 07/30/08 06:15 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

As I said, I'm not talking about meth and coke... I said I only smoke pot. 

Schwag just means low grade weed.  It doesn't refer to any particular strain or origin of the weed.

I was just saying that I've always smoked domestic and was wondering how much weed actually did come from Mexico, but since you ran off the numbers, I thought I'd take a look for myself.  I found this chart:

Estimates of total US marijuana consumption range from 9-22 metric tonnes, which is between 10,000 and 24,000 short tons.

This was my point... the way the media makes it out, it sounds like all the pot comes from Mexico and if we just put up a fence, all our drug problems will stop.  Turns out that over half of the weed consumed in America, comes from America.  And if you put up a wall, it will just drive up prices, giving incetive for more people to grow weed.  It's all just supply and demand.

http://www.drugscience.org/Archive/bcr4/5Supply.html

--------------------
No knowledge can be certain, if it is not based
upon mathematics or upon some other knowledge
which is itself based upon the mathematical
sciences.
  -Leonardo da Vinci (1425-1519)

Speak well of your enemies.  After all, you made them.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Cat's Cradle
Re: Man busted for 14,000 hits of LSD [NY] [Re: pothead_bob]
    #8703162 - 07/30/08 06:20 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Canada grows way more than 2%. Perhaps 2% of total seizures occur at that border, but being in Michigan, I can firmly tell you that that number is very off.

The Canadian border has shit for patrol in comparison to the Mexican boreder.

--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: Man busted for 14,000 hits of LSD [NY] [Re: dill705]
    #8703189 - 07/30/08 06:25 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I didn't look at the chart, but I'd say most comes from within the US. A lot does come from Mexico though...Very close to half. They just seized a 18 wheeler with like 3 tons an hour away from me...From Mexico. I like on the east coast too.

--------------------

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

#8703204 - 07/30/08 06:28 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I thought the number was low, too... I always thought Canada exported a lot more weed, but that statistic is from the RCMP.  The US dept. of Justice backs the numbers.  I'm just quoting the source.  If you know of another one that has different numbers, please quote it as that was the only source I found.

http://www.mapinc.org/newstcl/v04/n416/a05.html

--------------------
sciences.

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8703256 - 07/30/08 06:39 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'm only quoting my experience. I live just outside Detroit and I almost always hear that the stff I get is from the area or from Canadia. :shrug:

You never know if a dope dealer is telling the truth or just shooting a sales pitch...

--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

#8703347 - 07/30/08 06:59 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well if you live in Detroit, then I'm sure most of you weed is actually from Canada or Michigan.  Just considering the proximity of the country, that's probably true.  All the weed from mexico probably get's consumed before it gets north of Kansas.  We all know how they like their weed down in the bible-belt, after all.  :grin:

--------------------
sciences.

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8703425 - 07/30/08 07:18 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Nope, mexi-weed finds it's way up here, mostly be the mexicans.

I grew up in a farm town kust outside out the suburbs and I've seen some pretty nasty shit that the mexicans in my town sell to other mexicans.

That's how I cornered the market back in the day. :hehehe:

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

#8703490 - 07/30/08 07:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

How do you know they weren't growing domestically?

You know, I never understood why such shitty weed alledgedly comes from Mexico.  If you're going to go through all the trouble smuggling it in, wouldn't you want to smuggle in high quality buds?  You know, the most concentrated amounts of THC so that you could get the most drugs in and the most money for them?

--------------------
sciences.

Offlinekindadank
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
    #8703709 - 07/30/08 08:19 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Man, I'm not really sure what you are talking about.  I have no idea of the actual total US annual marijuana consumption, but I'm sure it is orders of magnitude greater than whatever figures the government puts out.  Even if they only supply around half of the US total consumption, that is a FUCK load of pot.  And dude, there is no alledgedly about it.  Anyone who lives near the US/Mexico border can prove this quite easily if they have a good hookup.  I've heard pounds can easily go for under $250, and this is just buying singles!  Then, magically as you move further and further north, the price goes up and up.  It's really pretty easy to see.

Either way, it's pretty damn easy to tell what weed comes from mexico.  Like I said, schwag or regs or whatever the hell you want to call it is that weed.  It is easily identifiable due to the fact that it usually smells like shit, has been compressed as much as humanly possible, and it usually has lots of seeds.  Another factor is the price.  If it is schwag, it's going to be very cheap.  Obviously there are going to be some small variations in this, but if you have any experience with different kinds of buds you can spot it in a second.

Also, I am quite sure that plently of the mexi brick weed makes it all over the US.  The reason that it is imported and distributed throughout the country is that it doesn't cost them shit to grow it in mexico, so the cartels make MASSIVE amounts of money by selling it everywhere they can.  There is always a market for it, because it is the cheapest shit you can buy.  Not everyone can afford to spend $50 for an eighth of weed.

As to the question of why they don't just grow better weed and import that, it's because they don't have to.  This way probably works out better economically because they just let that shit grow outside and don't take care of it, dry it out, brick it up, and then let it sit around for however long until it makes it to its destination.  Also, since it is bricked up, they can import much more at a time and conceal it easier.

Anyone that grows domestically is going to treat their product with alot more care than the mexicans would.  The main difference is that they would not need to compress it into bricks, because they don't need to cross any international borders with it.

There are tons of mids that are grown in the US, but I can say with nearly complete confidence that none or virtually none of these end up looking like the mexican brick shit.

There is no conspiracy about it.  The Mexican cartels grow and smuggle MASSIVE amounts of shitty pot into the US.  It is a fact.

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

#8703804 - 07/30/08 08:40 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Alright, man, settle down... I never said there was a conspiracy.  If you read my post like 2 up, you'll see I said that the Mexicans are responsible for exporting up to 11,000 metric tonnes of marijuana into the US.  So how is it that I'm saying that they don't bring weed to the US?

--------------------
sciences.

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8703916 - 07/30/08 09:11 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, the only argument was from me and it was about the Canadian statistic.

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Offlinekindadank
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
    #8704705 - 07/31/08 12:08 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

It's cool man.  Not trying to be a dick about it or anything.

In some of your posts it seemed to me that you were implying that you didn't believe that mexicans supplied a large portion of the supply in the US.  Of course a very large amount is also grown in the US. 

All I was trying to get at was it seemed like you really underestimated how much comes over the border down south and makes its way around the country.  Obviously even if the supply was somehow cut off 100% from mexico, there would still be plenty to go around.  There would just be a lot less shitty, cheap weed.

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

#8706283 - 07/31/08 09:06 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, originally I was skeptical about how much came in, but after you told me, I checked it out and saw your numbers were pretty close to the estimates.  I'm not sayin you're a dick, haha, just saying, yes, I believe you.  Like I was saying before, if we didn't get it from Mexico, I think the price would go up temporarily, but somehow the supply would go up - either by importation from Canada, or with more domestic growing.  Drug people seem pretty resourceful to me.

I still don't understand why the Mexicans only ship shitty weed, though.  I understand where you're coming from with it being easier for them and all, but the labor is so cheap for them down there, I think it wouldn't be much more expensive for the cartels to have peasents go and rip out the male plants, and then clean up the buds a little.  When I see brick weed on TV, it looks like it has all low-grade, trim leaf and shit chopped up in it.

Did you ever see the movie American Gangster?  I'm thinking it's like that.  They guy went straight to Vietnam to get the heroin from the source.  It turned out to be 100% pure, so he had the best product on the streets, but he was still able to undercut the competition by a shitload since he was getting it right from Vietnam.  I would think that the Mexicans could do it similarly. 

For a little more effort, they could get a lot more money for their product, with only a minimal price increase to the consumer.  Plus, they would be able to smuggle a lot more drugs in because the drugs would be more concentrated after removing the shit and only growing sinsemilla crops that don't have seeds.

--------------------
sciences.

OfflineChemy
Jesus is Lord

Loc: A Church
    #8706301 - 07/31/08 09:14 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

delete

Edited by Chemy (08/18/08 07:42 PM)

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

Re: Man busted for 14,000 hits of LSD [NY] [Re: Chemy]
    #8706307 - 07/31/08 09:22 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I see where you're coming from, but how much extra could it cost the growers to just rip out the male plants?

They obviously have to pay people to harvest the plants, and I'm sure they're not paying them much.  Why not just have them rip out the males and then charge like an extra $25-$50 per pound?  Once the dealer breaks that into eighths, there should barely be any price increase.  I think even a poor person would be willing to pay an extra buck or two for a vastly better type-o-weed.

--------------------
sciences.

OfflineChemy
Jesus is Lord

Loc: A Church
    #8706317 - 07/31/08 09:33 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

delete

Edited by Chemy (08/18/08 07:41 PM)

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Re: Man busted for 14,000 hits of LSD [NY] [Re: Chemy]
    #8707293 - 07/31/08 03:01 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

logistical problems with compression and transportation

Most definitely true. No shrugs about it, man.

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Offlinekindadank
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
    #8707383 - 07/31/08 03:16 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yup and there's always the old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8707423 - 07/31/08 03:21 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I thnk that the Brown Frown is broken. :crazy2:

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

#8713209 - 08/01/08 07:08 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Yup and there's always the old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

That works in research and design, but not in business.  If entrepenuers didn't try different things, they'd never increase their profits and business.  Maybe Mexican drug cartels just don't have the business logic and drive of their American counterparts.  :shrug:

What logistical problem are you thinking about?  I don't see why you can't compress sinsimilla buds just as easily as seeded-out buds with loads of shitty fan leaves mixed in.

--------------------
sciences.

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service