Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Death of Free Internet is Imminent- Canada Will Be Test Case
    #8667201 - 07/22/08 10:49 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

http://realitycheck.typepad.com/commentary_news/2008/07/death-of-free-internet-is-imminent--canada-will-be-test-case.html

In the last 15 years or so, as a society we have had access to more information than ever before in modern history because of the Internet. There are approximately 1 billion Internet users in the world and any one of these users can theoretically communicate in real time with any other on the planet.

The Internet has been the greatest technological achievement of the 20th century by far, and has been recognized as such by the global community. The free transfer of information, uncensored, unlimited and untainted, still seems to be a dream when you think about it. Whatever field that is mentioned- education, commerce, government, news, entertainment, politics and countless other areas- have been radically affected by the introduction of the Internet.

And mostly, it's good news, except when poor judgements are made and people are taken advantage of. Scrutiny and oversight are needed, especially where children are involved. However, when there are potential profits open to a corporation, the needs of society don't count.

Take the recent case in Canada with the behemoths, Telus and Rogers rolling out a charge for text messaging without any warning to the public. It was an arrogant and risky move for the telecommunications giants because it backfired. People actually used Internet technology to deliver a loud and clear message to these companies and that was to scrap the extra charge. The people used the power of the Internet against the big boys and the little guys won.

However, the issue of text messaging is just a tiny blip on the radar screens of Telus and another company, Bell Canada, the two largest Internet Service Providers (ISP'S) in Canada. Our country is being used as a test case to drastically change the delivery of Internet service forever. The change will be so radical that it has the potential to send us back to the horse and buggy days of information sharing and access.

In the upcoming weeks watch for a report in Time Magazine that will attempt to smooth over the rough edges of a diabolical plot by Bell Canada and Telus, to begin charging per site fees on most Internet sites. The plan is to convert the Internet into a cable-like system, where customers sign up for specific web sites, and then pay to visit sites beyond a cutoff point.

From my browsing (on the currently free Internet) I have discovered that the 'demise' of the free Internet is slated for 2010 in Canada, and two years later around the world. Canada is seen a good choice to implement such shameful and sinister changes, since Canadians are viewed as being laissez fair, politically uninformed and an easy target.

The corporate marauders will iron out the wrinkles in Canada and then spring the new, castrated version of the Internet on the rest of the world, probably with little fanfare, except for some dire warnings about the 'evil' of the Internet (free) and the CEO's spouting about 'safety and security'. These buzzwords usually work pretty well.

What will the Internet look like in Canada in 2010? I suspect that the ISP's will provide a "package" program as companies like Cogeco currently do. Customers will pay for a series of websites as they do now for their television stations. Television stations will be available on-line as part of these packages, which will make the networks happy since they have lost much of the younger market which are surfing and chatting on their computers in the evening. However, as is the case with cable television now, if you choose something that is not part of the package, you know what happens. You pay extra.

And this is where the Internet (free) as we know it will suffer almost immediate, economic strangulation. Thousands and thousands of Internet sites will not be part of the package so users will have to pay extra to visit those sites! In just an hour or two it is possible to easily visit 20-30 sites or more while looking for information. Just imagine how high these costs will be.

At present, the world condemns China because that country restricts certain websites. "They are undemocratic; they are removing people's freedom; they don't respect individual rights; they are censoring information,” are some of the comments we hear. But what Bell Canada and Telus have planned for Canadians is much worse than that. They are planning the death of the Internet (free) as we know it, and I expect they'll be hardly a whimper from Canadians.

It's all part of the corporate plan for a New World Order and virtually a masterstroke that will lead to the creation of billions and billions of dollars of corporate profit at the expense of the working and middle classes. There are so many other implications as a result of these changes, far too many to elaborate on here.

Be aware that we will all lose our privacy because all websites will be tracked as part of the billing procedure, and we will be literally cut off from 90% of the information that we can access today. The little guys on the Net will fall likes flies; Bloggers and small website operators will die a quick death because people will not pay to go to their sites and read their pages. Ironically, the only medium that can save us is the one we are trying to save- the Internet (free).

This article will be posted on my Blog, www.realitycheck.typepad.com and I encourage people and groups to learn more about this issue. Canadians can keep the Internet free just as they kept text messaging free. Don't wait for the federal politicians. They will do nothing to help us.

I would welcome a letter to the editor of the Standard Freeholder from a spokesperson from Bell Canada or Telus telling me that I am absolutely wrong in what I have written, and that no such changes to the Internet are being planned, and that access to Internet sites will remain FREE in the years to come. In the meantime, I encourage all of you to write to the media, ask questions, phone the radio station, phone a friend, or think of something else to prevent what appears to me to be inevitable.

Maintaining Internet (free) access is the only way we have a chance at combatting the global corporate takeover, the North American Union, and a long list of other deadly deeds that the elite in society have planned for us. Yesterday was too late in trying to protect our rights and freedoms. We must now redouble our efforts in order to give our children and grandchildren a fighting chance in the future.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCannashroom
Smoke two Joints
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Death of Free Internet is Imminent- Canada Will Be Test Case [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #8667208 - 07/22/08 10:51 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I hope to the mushroom god this is false.

--------------------
"A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe'; a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and affection for a few persons nearest us.

Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty.

Nobody is able to achieve this completely but striving for such achievement is, in itself, a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."

Albert Einstein

OfflineTbolg
Cultivist of creativity
Male

Loc: Texas Gulf Coast
Re: Death of Free Internet is Imminent- Canada Will Be Test Case [Re: Cannashroom]
    #8667231 - 07/22/08 10:59 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

wow, if this is true then the future sucks... good thing its going to "start" in canada.:grin:

InvisibleJawofmalak
Friendly Stranger

Re: Death of Free Internet is Imminent- Canada Will Be Test Case [Re: Tbolg]
    #8667722 - 07/22/08 01:16 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Very true. The internet is slowly being killed by giant corporations. check these out:

http://infowars.net/articles/October2006/171006Internet.htm

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060213/chester

--------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said

InvisibleMinstrel
Man of Science
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hogtown
Re: Death of Free Internet is Imminent- Canada Will Be Test Case [Re: Tbolg]
    #8667748 - 07/22/08 01:25 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

What can be done to stop such action against the free internet in a free society?  These companies enjoy a monopoly on the distribution of broadband internet, and they can sell the service however which way they choose, no? 

Any one have any ideas on how to keep the internet free (or at least as how we know it today), without the need for more regulation and government intervention?

--------------------

InvisibleMinstrel
Man of Science
Male User Gallery

Re: Death of Free Internet is Imminent- Canada Will Be Test Case [Re: Minstrel]
    #8667766 - 07/22/08 01:29 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Also Visionary, as much as I appreciate your being brave enough to post infowars stories, you gotta follow the rules and not just copypasta without some of your own discussion.

--------------------

InvisibleJawofmalak
Friendly Stranger

#8667827 - 07/22/08 01:42 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Because of government regulation we have the problem that we are faced with today. There is nothing that the individual can do, other than make it unprofitable for companies to make such a move. But that would require a huge movement, and too many people today just like to go along with things. So in order to correct the unfair monopolies that the government has helped create, it must strike them down. Government intervention is necessary, even though i hate it.

--------------------

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Cat's Cradle
    #8668271 - 07/22/08 03:29 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Is this for real?

--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Death of Free Internet is Imminent- Canada Will Be Test Case [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #8668280 - 07/22/08 03:33 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Visionary Tools said:
http://realitycheck.typepad.com/commentary_news/2008/07/death-of-free-internet-is-imminent--canada-will-be-test-case.html

In the last 15 years or so, as a society we have had access to more information than ever before in modern history because of the Internet. There are approximately 1 billion Internet users in the world and any one of these users can theoretically communicate in real time with any other on the planet.

The Internet has been the greatest technological achievement of the 20th century by far, and has been recognized as such by the global community. The free transfer of information, uncensored, unlimited and untainted, still seems to be a dream when you think about it. Whatever field that is mentioned- education, commerce, government, news, entertainment, politics and countless other areas- have been radically affected by the introduction of the Internet.

And mostly, it's good news, except when poor judgements are made and people are taken advantage of. Scrutiny and oversight are needed, especially where children are involved. However, when there are potential profits open to a corporation, the needs of society don't count.

Take the recent case in Canada with the behemoths, Telus and Rogers rolling out a charge for text messaging without any warning to the public. It was an arrogant and risky move for the telecommunications giants because it backfired. People actually used Internet technology to deliver a loud and clear message to these companies and that was to scrap the extra charge. The people used the power of the Internet against the big boys and the little guys won.

However, the issue of text messaging is just a tiny blip on the radar screens of Telus and another company, Bell Canada, the two largest Internet Service Providers (ISP'S) in Canada. Our country is being used as a test case to drastically change the delivery of Internet service forever. The change will be so radical that it has the potential to send us back to the horse and buggy days of information sharing and access.

In the upcoming weeks watch for a report in Time Magazine that will attempt to smooth over the rough edges of a diabolical plot by Bell Canada and Telus, to begin charging per site fees on most Internet sites. The plan is to convert the Internet into a cable-like system, where customers sign up for specific web sites, and then pay to visit sites beyond a cutoff point.

From my browsing (on the currently free Internet) I have discovered that the 'demise' of the free Internet is slated for 2010 in Canada, and two years later around the world. Canada is seen a good choice to implement such shameful and sinister changes, since Canadians are viewed as being laissez fair, politically uninformed and an easy target.

The corporate marauders will iron out the wrinkles in Canada and then spring the new, castrated version of the Internet on the rest of the world, probably with little fanfare, except for some dire warnings about the 'evil' of the Internet (free) and the CEO's spouting about 'safety and security'. These buzzwords usually work pretty well.

What will the Internet look like in Canada in 2010? I suspect that the ISP's will provide a "package" program as companies like Cogeco currently do. Customers will pay for a series of websites as they do now for their television stations. Television stations will be available on-line as part of these packages, which will make the networks happy since they have lost much of the younger market which are surfing and chatting on their computers in the evening. However, as is the case with cable television now, if you choose something that is not part of the package, you know what happens. You pay extra.

And this is where the Internet (free) as we know it will suffer almost immediate, economic strangulation. Thousands and thousands of Internet sites will not be part of the package so users will have to pay extra to visit those sites! In just an hour or two it is possible to easily visit 20-30 sites or more while looking for information. Just imagine how high these costs will be.

At present, the world condemns China because that country restricts certain websites. "They are undemocratic; they are removing people's freedom; they don't respect individual rights; they are censoring information,” are some of the comments we hear. But what Bell Canada and Telus have planned for Canadians is much worse than that. They are planning the death of the Internet (free) as we know it, and I expect they'll be hardly a whimper from Canadians.

It's all part of the corporate plan for a New World Order and virtually a masterstroke that will lead to the creation of billions and billions of dollars of corporate profit at the expense of the working and middle classes. There are so many other implications as a result of these changes, far too many to elaborate on here.

Be aware that we will all lose our privacy because all websites will be tracked as part of the billing procedure, and we will be literally cut off from 90% of the information that we can access today. The little guys on the Net will fall likes flies; Bloggers and small website operators will die a quick death because people will not pay to go to their sites and read their pages. Ironically, the only medium that can save us is the one we are trying to save- the Internet (free).

This article will be posted on my Blog, www.realitycheck.typepad.com and I encourage people and groups to learn more about this issue. Canadians can keep the Internet free just as they kept text messaging free. Don't wait for the federal politicians. They will do nothing to help us.

I would welcome a letter to the editor of the Standard Freeholder from a spokesperson from Bell Canada or Telus telling me that I am absolutely wrong in what I have written, and that no such changes to the Internet are being planned, and that access to Internet sites will remain FREE in the years to come. In the meantime, I encourage all of you to write to the media, ask questions, phone the radio station, phone a friend, or think of something else to prevent what appears to me to be inevitable.

Maintaining Internet (free) access is the only way we have a chance at combatting the global corporate takeover, the North American Union, and a long list of other deadly deeds that the elite in society have planned for us. Yesterday was too late in trying to protect our rights and freedoms. We must now redouble our efforts in order to give our children and grandchildren a fighting chance in the future.

This article cites no sources for its claims. I'm suspicious, to say the least.

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Cat's Cradle
Re: Death of Free Internet is Imminent- Canada Will Be Test Case [Re: Redstorm]
    #8668286 - 07/22/08 03:33 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

My sentiments exactly.

--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

InvisibleJawofmalak
Friendly Stranger

Re: Death of Free Internet is Imminent- Canada Will Be Test Case [Re: dill705]
    #8668699 - 07/22/08 06:23 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

This is common knowledge, it's been reported in many major news outlets. I gave a link to an article by The Nation... if that's not reputable here's another link.

CNN: http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9810/27/deadnet.idg/

--------------------

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
Re: Death of Free Internet is Imminent- Canada Will Be Test Case [Re: Jawofmalak]
    #8669014 - 07/22/08 07:30 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

then all someone has to do is start their own network, name it the internet II, and we're set.  With all the advances in wireless we won't need telecoms to tell us what to do.

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Re: Death of Free Internet is Imminent- Canada Will Be Test Case [Re: Jawofmalak]
    #8669032 - 07/22/08 07:35 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

That link is from 1998

InvisibleJawofmalak
Friendly Stranger

Re: Death of Free Internet is Imminent- Canada Will Be Test Case [Re: xFrockx]
    #8669049 - 07/22/08 07:39 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Like I said this is common knowledge. This is something that has been planned for a long time.

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Death of Free Internet is Imminent- Canada Will Be Test Case [Re: xFrockx]
    #8669060 - 07/22/08 07:43 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

So what?

This seems like a stupid system, but there's nothing wrong with a company selling packages that prohibit you from browsing certain sites.

Its ironic the title and the claims here refrence freedom.

Freedom includes the right of a person to sell a product he wants, and for me to buy that product if I want.

That includes stupid buisness proposals to sell you access to a chunk of sites that would only let you do the things they want you to do.

I think it would be a deceptive practice, however; to advertise such a service as internet access, but whatever.....  That's the only problem I could see, ignoring state-mandated monopolies...

Companies get away with too much deceptive advertising, often under the veil of government regulation.

Freedom includes free association.

What do ya'll have against that?

InvisibleMinstrel
Man of Science
Male User Gallery

Re: Death of Free Internet is Imminent- Canada Will Be Test Case [Re: johnm214]
    #8669223 - 07/22/08 08:33 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

The CBC covered the text messaging rape. and it butt-hurt me personally.  They never said much about the de-interneting.

--------------------

InvisibleJawofmalak
Friendly Stranger

Re: Death of Free Internet is Imminent- Canada Will Be Test Case [Re: johnm214]
    #8669466 - 07/22/08 09:39 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

So what???? In order to sell these "packages", these companies have gone to the government and have been handed over what was once PUBLIC. They lobbied to change the laws to make the internet private. So now they can close down 90% of the internet by simply not letting you view it. it's censorship. And this isn't one company, it's ALL major companies. Because of the internet newspaper sales, record label profits, and tv viewership has gone dramatically over the years. Even the phone companies are being pushed out by companies like Vonage. So what do they do? Instead of adapt to the changes, they seek to change the laws and censor the internet. This is a perfect example of the government in bed with big business. When this happens, there is no choice, you MUST buy their product.

--------------------

Offlinei3oosted
Stranger

#8683011 - 07/26/08 03:45 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

If there is one thing I have learned in my short life is, ''You don't fuck with the nerd heards intrawebbers''. I would like to see what the hackers would do with this...  hehehehe.

InvisibleLuddite
I watch Fox News
 User Gallery

Re: Death of Free Internet is Imminent- Canada Will Be Test Case [Re: i3oosted]
    #8684876 - 07/26/08 04:17 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

No more drug forums.  Republicans will win every election, too.

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Re: Death of Free Internet is Imminent- Canada Will Be Test Case [Re: Luddite]
    #8685036 - 07/26/08 04:58 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I think if the internet was ever actually taken over there would be some pretty large bombings of telecom companies facilities, either that or hackers would rape the living shit out of them.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate