Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinephaseflux
Stranger than most

Fully colonized?
    #8662304 - 07/21/08 09:28 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Hey everyone, Im new to this so please bear with me. I have a couple jars which seem to be fully colonized, or almost there, but Im afraid of prematurely taking them out of the jars. At the same time Im afraid of leaving them in there too long. The only part that makes me question if they are fully colonized is when I look at the bottom. The bottom all looks white, but i can still see the color of the brf/vermiculate. (these are BRF cakes btw). Ive attached pictures in case this helps clarify. I want to do a dunking at birth, but Im concerned that if the middle isnt colonized, that maybe the dunking could infect the middle if it isnt fully colonized yet. Yet, I also have no way of knowing if they are colonized in the middle. Theyve been in this state pictured, for about 2-3 days.

Also, how long can they stay in the jars until the suffocate? Im guessing that they will eventually need air. I just have the four inoculation holes for air. And btw the top part is the dry verm layer (which also seems to partially be colonizing, like bits and pieces.)

I really dont want to mess this up...

Oh yeah, and theyve been in the jars a total of a bit over a 2 weeks since inoculation.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegrod31
Stranger
Male

Loc: New York
Re: Fully colonized? [Re: phaseflux]
    #8662314 - 07/21/08 09:32 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

lookin good. you are probably able to take them out now but it would not hurt to leave them be for anther few days.

--------------------
Back the tape up.  I need it again!
Let it roll!  Just as high as the
fucker can go!  And when it comes
to that fantastic note where the
rabbit bites its own head off, I
want you to  THROW THAT FUCKING
RADIO INTO THE TUB WITH ME!
    Not me.  It would blast you through
the wall stone dead in ten
seconds and they'd make me explain
VVVVV Free Myco Thread

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
    #8662320 - 07/21/08 09:35 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Wait longer.  There is no need to worry about keeping the cakes in the jars for too long..  If you start seeing in-vitro pinning, then that is the point at which you should birth, but until then, just let the mycelium colonize the substrate. Leave them be for ~10 more days and if you feel more comfortable then, birth them.

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Offlinephaseflux
Stranger than most

Re: Fully colonized? [Re: thedefone]
    #8662330 - 07/21/08 09:39 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

thedefone said:
Wait longer.  There is no need to worry about keeping the cakes in the jars for too long..  If you start seeing in-vitro pinning, then that is the point at which you should birth, but until then, just let the mycelium colonize the substrate. Leave them be for ~10 more days and if you feel more comfortable then, birth them.

So should I be exposing these two jars to light now to encourage the in vitro pinning? I just have them in the drawer with their 8 brothers and sisters who are starting to catch up.

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #8662769 - 07/21/08 11:30 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

phaseflux said:
So should I be exposing these two jars to light now to encourage the in vitro pinning? I just have them in the drawer with their 8 brothers and sisters who are starting to catch up.

Leave them alone until the others "catch up". As thedefone said "no need to worry". :thumbup:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

OfflineTbolg
Cultivist of creativity
Male

Loc: Texas Gulf Coast
Re: Fully colonized? [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8662820 - 07/21/08 11:41 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Most every cultivator ive heard from encourages an additional 4-5 day wait after you notice the outside of your jars have fully colonized. This allows the inner portion of the jar to fully colonize.

InvisibleLedd
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Innerspace Flag
Re: Fully colonized? [Re: Tbolg]
    #8663060 - 07/21/08 12:36 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Looks good, except it seems like you have a ton of dry verm there. A half inch or so is good. Use more of your jars for the good stuff. :sexysmile:

--------------------
We mean nothing we do not mean to do.

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
Re: Fully colonized? [Re: Ledd]
    #8663152 - 07/21/08 12:54 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

In-vitro pinning is mostly just a sign that the mycelium is done colonizing and isn't going to spread further into the substrate.  This pinning isn't something you should be trying to initiate, rather it's just a sign that you jars are ready to be birthed, or aren't going to continue colonization in their present conditions.  Besides, light is the weakest of the pinning triggers; you can successfully colonize your jars in lighted conditions.

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Offlinephaseflux
Stranger than most

Re: Fully colonized? [Re: thedefone]
    #8664500 - 07/21/08 07:17 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was worried that the jars would suffocate but I guess this isn't a concern so I'll stop worrying. Also the reason I have so much dry verm layer is because the tek I was reading said that jars over 1/2 pint usually fail, and the jars a just a bit over 1/2 pint.  I wanted to make sure the myc could colonize it all without "failing", so I didn't fill them up as high as I could have. But now that I think about it over 1/2 pint is probably fine since I'm seeing some pictures on here of people using jars of all sizes.

Anyways, thanks for the help.

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
    #8664552 - 07/21/08 07:28 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah man that looks ready, if it's pinning inside definitely birth. I used some 1 pint jars with brf and they would start pinning before complete colonization, so i just cut out the primordia and uncolonized parts then crumbled and cased the good substrate. Those look fully colonized though.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate