Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Just one of many examples... [Re: Libertine]
    #8678127 - 07/24/08 09:53 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

To what end?

Phred can show you many examples the other way.

My point is your method is worthless.

Showing the media rails on liberal politicians' pitfalls doesn't establish anything as to liberal bias.

The whole definition of bias is evidenced through disparate treatment.  How do you aim to show this through showing liberals who are portrayed harshly?

Your method is flawed, as is any ad hoc one-sided portrayel.

Present evidence that leads to the conclusion  there is no bias.  I'd suggest you post a study with sound methodology, but feel free to do your own analysis.

I really don't care to see your parade of links, though maybe you can PM them to luddite in a retaliatory link-bombing campaign.

BTW, how do you establish neutrality in the media?  I'm curious how you identify neutrality.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLibertine
Tarzan...King of Mars
Male User Gallery

Loc: New England
    #8678144 - 07/24/08 09:56 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Here is a tasty one...from the New York Times.

Anecdote-mania.  And I just can't wait for the Presidential debates and a whole new round of Reverend Wright, lapel pin and 'Are you a Muslim?' questions are asked by the so-called 'liberal media'.  As we know Reverend Wright, lapel pins and Obama's faith are pressing issues that need to be addressed above all else in today's troubled world.

--------------------
A mind is a terrible thing to taste...hehehe.

OfflineLibertine
Tarzan...King of Mars
Male User Gallery

Re: Just one of many examples... [Re: johnm214]
    #8678157 - 07/24/08 10:00 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
To what end?

And ya know what it just makes the point that there isn't a bias.  That is all I am saying.  I am not saying the media is pro-conservative I am just saying they don't have a pro-liberal bias.  And why would Phred be so up in arms about an alleged bias whose make believe narrative says the D's get treated better in the press than the R's?  I thought Phred was a Libertarian?  Why is he concerned for allegedly mistreated Republicans?

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8678267 - 07/24/08 10:38 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Libertine said:
Quote:

johnm214 said:
To what end?

And ya know what it just makes the point that there isn't a bias.  That is all I am saying.  I am not saying the media is pro-conservative I am just saying they don't have a pro-liberal bias.  And why would Phred be so up in arms about an alleged bias whose make believe narrative says the D's get treated better in the press than the R's?  I thought Phred was a Libertarian?  Why is he concerned for allegedly mistreated Republicans?

and I'm saying your examples have no statistical signifigance to the notion you hope to demonstrate

Find evidence that supports you with an exceptably high degree of probability.  The link parade will not do that, cuz they demonstrate only that such and such was printed.

Bias is dispartate treatment.  You can't demonstrate that by hand-picking negative coverage of a party or politician from a party.

OfflineLibertine
Tarzan...King of Mars
Male User Gallery

#8678413 - 07/24/08 11:14 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Statistical analysis?  LOL!!!!

I gave you 2 examples already and could continue on and on but since I don't have 'numbers' to back them up it proves nothing?  And even if I decided to come back with the 'numbers' I am sure my sample size of the study would be deemed 'insufficient and therefore inconclusive'.

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8678543 - 07/24/08 11:47 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Whats wrong with stats?  You just wanna go on your gut feeling or something?

And what are you talking about with your sample size? What do you care what I think?  If you can prove it you can prove it.  If you get a good methodology and .05 or less signifigance, you'll get published.

The sample size issue is a strawman, don't blame me for your inability to prove your thesis.

If you have faith that's one thing, but don't feign more than that.

OfflineLibertine
Tarzan...King of Mars
Male User Gallery

#8678582 - 07/24/08 11:54 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
Whats wrong with stats?  You just wanna go on your gut feeling or something?

And what are you talking about with your sample size? What do you care what I think?  If you can prove it you can prove it.  If you get a good methodology and .05 or less signifigance, you'll get published.

The sample size issue is a strawman, don't blame me for your inability to prove your thesis.

If you have faith that's one thing, but don't feign more than that.

Stats are fine but are never the deciding factor for me.  I am sure I can surf the internets and find statistical analysis that make a case for both sides.  Figures can be fairly easily manipulated to fit any conclusion.  As the saying goes...Figures don't lie but liars can figure.  And so there is no misunderstanding I am not calling you a liar per se, I am just saying that numbers don't necessarily prove anything outside of solutions to mathematical equations.

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8678584 - 07/24/08 11:55 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

since I don't have 'numbers' to back them up it proves nothing?

No, it proves nothing cuz it doesn't.  I'm saying that since your not measuring bias, you can't hope to prove bias to any statistically relevant degree.

Your problem is that you are not measuring dispartate treatment, you are hand picking negative stories.  This doesn't prove there is no bias, this only proves that such and such story was printed and whatever conclusions can be drawn therefrom (very few).

This is just a parade of anectdotes with selection bias and no mechanism to measure whether the two parties or ideologies are treated differently by anyone.  Are you seriouly arguing there is proof in the link parade you've alluded to?

Explain to me how such stories, which we'll presume are whatever you like, establish anything?  Break it down for me.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: New York Times REJECTS MCCAIN'S EDITORIAL; [Re: Libertine]
    #8679228 - 07/25/08 04:52 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

> It tells about how McCain made a MAJOR gaffe in an interview with Katie Couric for CBS

With only ten or so people watching Katie Couric on CBS...  :smirk:

> I could post links all night to show to show there is no pro-liberal of pro-Obama bias.

Wow, you can prove a negative?  Pretty clever.  (This kind of BS is what I am referring to above when I talk about Obama supporters thinking that Barry walks on water, heals the gimpy, and can fix all of the worlds woes... thanks for illustrating my point.)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale