Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
New York Times REJECTS MCCAIN'S EDITORIAL;
    #8662539 - 07/21/08 10:32 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

An editorial written by Republican presidential hopeful McCain has been rejected by the NEW YORK TIMES -- less than a week after the paper published an essay written by Obama, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

The paper's decision to refuse McCain's direct rebuttal to Obama's 'My Plan for Iraq' has ignited explosive charges of media bias in top Republican circles.

"It would be terrific to have an article from Senator McCain that mirrors Senator Obama's piece,' NYT Op-Ed editor David Shipley explained in an email late Friday to McCain's staff. 'I'm not going to be able to accept this piece as currently written."

In McCain's submission to the TIMES, he writes of Obama: 'I am dismayed that he never talks about winning the war—only of ending it... if we don't win the war, our enemies will. A triumph for the terrorists would be a disaster for us. That is something I will not allow to happen as president.'

A top McCain source claims the paper simply does not agree with the senator's Iraq policy, and wants him to change it, not "re-work the draft."

McCain writes in the rejected essay: 'Progress has been due primarily to an increase in the number of troops and a change in their strategy. I was an early advocate of the surge at a time when it had few supporters in Washington. Senator Barack Obama was an equally vocal opponent. 'I am not persuaded that 20,000 additional troops in Iraq is going to solve the sectarian violence there,' he said on January 10, 2007. 'In fact, I think it will do the reverse.'

Shipley, who is on vacation this week, explained his decision not to run the editorial.

'The Obama piece worked for me because it offered new information (it appeared before his speech); while Senator Obama discussed Senator McCain, he also went into detail about his own plans.'

Shipley continues: 'It would be terrific to have an article from Senator McCain that mirrors Senator Obama's piece. To that end, the article would have to articulate, in concrete terms, how Senator McCain defines victory in Iraq.'

Developing...

:wtf:

McCain SHOULD 'MIRROR' OBAMA'S ESSAY!!!!!!

:kingcrankey:

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashnym.htm

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSoY
I am the LizardKing
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: New York Times REJECTS MCCAIN'S EDITORIAL; [Re: lonestar2004]
    #8662562 - 07/21/08 10:41 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

McCain SHOULD 'MIRROR' OBAMA'S ESSAY!!!!!!

Okay do you have selective reading issues?

Quote:

Shipley continues: 'It would be terrific to have an article from Senator McCain that mirrors Senator Obama's piece. To that end, the article would have to articulate, in concrete terms, how Senator McCain defines victory in Iraq.

This is very important.  Rather than whine and piss and moan about how we must never surrender, McCain should define what his notion of "Victory in Iraq" entails....

--------------------

"The choiceless truth of who you are is revealed to be permanently here permeating everything. Not a thing and not separate from anything."--Gaganji
"Yesterday is but today's memory and tomorrow is today's dream."
"My karma ran over my dogma!"

InvisibleMinstrel
Man of Science
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hogtown
Re: New York Times REJECTS MCCAIN'S EDITORIAL; [Re: SoY]
    #8662591 - 07/21/08 10:48 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I'm sure what ever McCain defines as victory now will be just as vague and rhetorical as has always been. 

I think Ron Paul said it best in the debate, against Hucklebee's continuous repetition of the word 'honour'.  This is all just saving face.

--------------------

Edited by Minstrel (07/21/08 01:27 PM)

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: New York Times REJECTS MCCAIN'S EDITORIAL; [Re: Minstrel]
    #8663334 - 07/21/08 01:41 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Minstrel said:
I'm sure what ever McCain defines as victory now will be just as vague and rhetorical as has always been. 

So, McCain is not even entitled to his own opinion?They printed Obama's dog shit! why not McCain's?  This is getting ridiculous.

The MSM needs to just come out and admit it’s just a PR firm for obama and the DNC.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #8663386 - 07/21/08 01:57 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

So, just what was Barry's definition of victory that McCain must "mirror"?  What, in fact did Barry's essay mirror at all?  Why is Barry given free space to write anything he wants while McCain has parameters imposed?  Did you know Shipley was a Clinton functionary?
Quote:

Shipley served in the Clinton Administration from 1995 until 1997 as Special Assistant to the President and Senior Presidential Speechwriter. He had been the executive editor of The New Republic Magazine from 1993 until 1995.

Are you aware that the NYTimes is controlled by whores who no longer pretend to be journalists?  If they had any business sense (HA!) they'd run dueling OpEds from each candidate every week.  Imagine the circulation boom.  But they don't care, they just want to have influence.  They don't care about reporting and they don't care about their business, they are just campaign functionaries and the FEC should seriously consider making them count the free fawning press they give the jug-eared empty suit to be a campaign contribution subject to the limits established by law.  Remember when they gave preferential ad rates to MOve On for the Betrayus disgrace?  I do.  Couple this with the fact that Katie Couric, Brian Williams and Charlie Gibson are all following the asshole to Iraq as if it were some momentous event that he finally traveled somewhere and you have to be monumentally stupid not to believe that there is an atrocious media bias for the middle school Marxist.  Stupid or a tool.

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: New York Times REJECTS MCCAIN'S EDITORIAL; [Re: zappaisgod]
    #8663447 - 07/21/08 02:12 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:

Are you aware that the NYTimes is controlled by whores who no longer pretend to be journalists?  If they had any business sense (HA!) they'd run dueling OpEds from each candidate every week.  Imagine the circulation boom.  But they don't care, they just want to have influence.  They don't care about reporting and they don't care about their business, they are just campaign functionaries and the FEC should seriously consider making them count the free fawning press they give the jug-eared empty suit to be a campaign contribution subject to the limits established by law.  Remember when they gave preferential ad rates to MOve On for the Betrayus disgrace?  I do.  Couple this with the fact that Katie Couric, Brian Williams and Charlie Gibson are all following the asshole to Iraq as if it were some momentous event that he finally traveled somewhere and you have to be monumentally stupid not to believe that there is an atrocious media bias for the middle school Marxist.  Stupid or a tool.

thats what gets me, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity do not PRETEND to support Barack Obama!

The MSM PRETENDS to be different then Rush Limbaugh....

ITS Bullshit!

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#8663520 - 07/21/08 02:44 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Limbaugh and Hannity do not pretend to be journalists.  Nor do I think that the NY Times editorial staff should be required to refrain from stating their opinions.  But their news has become polluted and their OpEd page is a cesspool of liberal gibberish.  They gave a featured Sunday column, make that the featured Sunday column, to a Pauline Kael in spades theater critic with zero credentials other than his relentlessly bleating KosKidness.  Even the letters are ludicrously selected.  Fucking whores.  That goes for the troika of traveling twats breathlessly rimming Barry's asshole on his current sojourn to nowhere and no effect.  I cannot object to real Dem functionaries swallowing the whole Barry bone and spitting back his great glorious choad but when supposedly neutral reporters have the same bent over position it becomes, well, a bit unseemly, doncha think.

And I will reiterate my previous point about tools and morons.  If you don't admit the news media is in the tank for Barry you are either stupid or a tool.  A tool I can respect as long as he/she admits it.  Stupid?  Not so much.

--------------------

Edited by zappaisgod (07/21/08 02:45 PM)

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#8663555 - 07/21/08 02:53 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

:grin:

NBC News Refers to Obama's Trip as 'Tour of Duty'

:rolleyes:

"It's bad enough that Barack Obama's trip to the Middle East is getting an insane amount of MSM coverage (the three big network news anchors? Whoa!); now, NBC News believes it apt to compare Obama's sojourn to ... an actual military tour of duty.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/d-s-hube/2008/07/21/nbc-news-refers-obamas-trip-tour-duty

"Tour of Duty"......

Sickening

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#8663570 - 07/21/08 02:56 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Choad swallowing scumbags.  Just admit it already.  I'll have more respect for them if they do.

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #8664008 - 07/21/08 05:13 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Wow, this is pretty ridiculous.

I'd like to hear an explanation from the times, unfiltered, about why they declined this.

What was in the article posted above didn't cut it, so hopefully there's more... I like the times when I get a chance to read it, used to have a subscription.

THis seems pretty biased at first blush, hopefully there's something more there than the lame excuse given above.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: New York Times REJECTS MCCAIN'S EDITORIAL; [Re: johnm214]
    #8664163 - 07/21/08 05:58 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Are you people just now starting to realize the media is extremely biased? I've known that for years. I don't like Mccain but I hate the bullshit the media is constantly dumping on us. They will put Obama in the white house no matter what it takes.

The repubs are equally biased but they don't pretend to be anything else. The media pretends to be fair but it never is. I agree they should be subject to federal politics laws as far as campaign contributions and so on.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#8664179 - 07/21/08 06:00 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I'd like to see the whole letter too but search blows.  McCain seems quite right in asserting that the Times requires him to change his position with its demands.  To wit:
Quote:

Shipley, who was President Bill Clinton's senior speechwriter from 1995 to 1997, had advised the McCain campaign that "the article would have to articulate, in concrete terms, how Senator McCain defines victory in Iraq.

"It would also have to lay out a clear plan for achieving victory -- with troops levels, timetables and measures for compelling the Iraqis to cooperate. And it would need to describe the senator's Afghanistan strategy, spelling out how it meshes with his Iraq plan."
McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said Monday the Arizona senator's position will not change based on the "demands of the New York Times."

"John McCain believes that victory in Iraq must be based on conditions on the ground, not arbitrary timetables," he said. "Unlike Barack Obama, that position will not change based on politics or the demands of the New York Times."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/21/mccain.nyt/?iref=mpstoryview

They are whores, john, and maybe now you will see.  I have gotten the Times delivered to my doorstep for decades and I have mourned their demise under the feckless Pinch Sulzburger.  You cannot believe a word they print anymore and they have become a mouth organ for anything leftist.  I use it for opposition research, that's all it's worth.  They could boost their viciously sagging circulation incredibly by having a series of dueling OpEds but they do not give a fuck about the shareholders (Research the different classes of Times Corp stock.  90% of stockholders have zero say) or journalism.  Pinch has no interest in reporting news, he wants to make news.  He has killed the paper and we're attending the wake.

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #8664597 - 07/21/08 07:37 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Why don't you think the times is worth anything?

I think the most dangerous bias is this kinda stuff... Not overt spin, which is easily detected, but ommision of opposing views or facts.

I've really never seen a well-laid out argument that the times is biased to any signifigant degree more than other national newspapers (which is pretty much how I'd define bias, cuz I don't know of an objective way to do so really).

But from what you've posted presuming that's all there is, this seems pretty ridiculous.  I know the times' editorial section is biased, I was excluding that stuff in my comments regarding proof....

I don't think this can be explained just that its an opinion section so they can print what they want.

This is overtly idiotic and insulting really.  They decide a proffered piece by an important politician isn't worthy to be read?  They make demands like troop levels and such?  That seems such an absurd thing to demand.  Just print his piece.  They can always, and should, run opposing editorials from folks who criticize any unclear statements and wiggle words.

Again, presuming this is all there is to the story, this really seems inexcusable.  And just going on the demand for troop levels and such... wtf?

The times should definitely correct course, or this will lose them at least a portion of my respect, and hopefully others'.

Really too bad, and pretty ridiculous.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#8668255 - 07/22/08 03:25 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Remember that full page article they ran insinuating McCain was having an affair?  Based on nothing?  And all the Obama fellating articles that research how wonderful his Barryness is?  The utter hysteria over any casualty and the complete ignoring of any progress in Iraq?  This was their news choices, not editorial page stuff. 

They didn't used to be this way, but ever since Pinch Sulzberger took over they have become a mouth organ for every liberal cause and complaint.  Headlines for crook Republicans.  Page 23 for Democrat crooks.  They were way behind the curve on the Spitzer Trooper scandal and didn't really say anything until they were dragged kicking and screaming.

Just for an easy example here's a headline from today's front page.  News, NOT OpEd.

For Obama, a First Step Is Not a Misstep
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/22/us/politics/22assess.html?ref=world

Front page, above the fold, prime position.  They then go on to the worship part.

Then we have this first mention of McCain much deeper in the paper.  Headline:

McCain, at Bush Home, Faults Obama on War Plan

OK so far, but here is the first sentence from Bumiller:

Quote:

KENNEBUNKPORT, Me. %u2014 Senator John McCain was like the wallflower at an international political dance on Monday as he campaigned at the quiet summer home of a popular President Bush, George H. W., while the worldwide news media spotlight beamed down on Senator Barack Obama in Baghdad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/22/us/politics/22mccain.html?ref=world

Read the article, it is largely a puff piece on Barry and a slam at McCain, especially in light of the fiasco that started this thread.  They are just gone.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#8668320 - 07/22/08 03:43 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Finally found the full text of Shipley's e-mail, courtesy of Hot Air
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 8:31 PM
To: XXXXXXX
Cc: XXXXXXX
Subject: Re: JSM Op-Ed

Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

Thank you for sending me Senator McCain’s essay.

I’d be very eager to publish the Senator on the Op-Ed page.

However, I’m not going to be able to accept this piece as currently written.

I’d be pleased, though, to look at another draft.

Let me suggest an approach.

The Obama piece worked for me because it offered new information (it appeared before his speech); while Senator Obama discussed Senator McCain, he also went into detail about his own plans.

It would be terrific to have an article from Senator McCain that mirrors Senator Obama’s piece. To that end, the article would have to articulate, in concrete terms, how Senator McCain defines victory in Iraq. It would also have to lay out a clear plan for achieving victory — with troops levels, timetables and measures for compelling the Iraqis to cooperate. And
it would need to describe the Senator’s Afghanistan strategy, spelling out how it meshes with his Iraq plan.

I am going to be out of the office next week. If you decide to re-work the draft, please be in touch with Mary Duenwald, the Op-Ed deputy. Her email is XXXXXXXX; her phone is 212-XXXXXXX.

Again, thank you for taking the time to send me the Senator’s draft. I really hope we can find a way to bring this to a happy resolution.

Sincerely,

David Shipley
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/07/21/drudge-nyt-rejects-mccains-rebuttal-op-ed-because-it-doesnt-mirror-obamas/

Here's McCain's clear plan.  WE'LL LEAVE WHEN THE IRAQIS  ARE READY.  Not before.  Things are looking very good so it might be quite soon.  That is all the proper answer should be.  Not some arbitrary date.  Thus, they will only accept McCain's piece if he changes his policy.  Fine, fuck 'em.  They are rendering themselves more and more irrelevant with shit like this.  Not even the vast leftard legions are this stupid.  The smart ones are probably cringing at the heavy-handedness and loss of credibility by one of their cherished authorities.  "If it's in the Times it must be true" used to have some validity.  Not anymore.

--------------------

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Cat's Cradle
    #8668394 - 07/22/08 04:25 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

WE'LL LEAVE WHEN THE IRAQIS  ARE READY.

The Iraqis are starting to talk about being ready, in fact, it sounds like they think they'll be ready in about 16 months :wink:

--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: New York Times REJECTS MCCAIN'S EDITORIAL; [Re: dill705]
    #8669064 - 07/22/08 07:44 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

dill705 said:
Quote:

WE'LL LEAVE WHEN THE IRAQIS  ARE READY.

The Iraqis are starting to talk about being ready, in fact, it sounds like they think they'll be ready in about 16 months :wink:

Actually, no, they are talking like they might could should be ready by the end of 2010.  Do your own math.

--------------------

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8669318 - 07/22/08 08:56 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I ready that like 1 minute after typing this and decided to leave it just so you had a response. :wink:

--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: New York Times REJECTS MCCAIN'S EDITORIAL; [Re: dill705]
    #8669325 - 07/22/08 08:58 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks.

--------------------

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8669488 - 07/22/08 09:45 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

:tongue2:

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom