Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesidewayz6.6
Bewildered White Boy

Loc: USA Flag
Fast help, jiffy mix for casing?
    #8661001 - 07/20/08 10:20 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

What is the Jiffy Mix they use for casing?  I have generic "pancake mix", will that work?

Fast help greatly appreciated.

--------------------

Anything I post is purely theoretical, and not based in reality.  All pictures are from google.

A big part of me has died inside and I don't know if it will ever come back.  Nothing makes me happy anymore.  I use drugs and alcohol to numb the pain, and my sense of humor to hide the rest.  I don't share these feelings with anyone in real life.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewickedsick
<(^.^<)<(^.^)>(>^.^)>
 User Gallery

Re: Fast help, jiffy mix for casing? [Re: sidewayz6.6]
    #8661031 - 07/20/08 10:27 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

lmao? no bro dont do that , use a pure ver, layer as a casing or some 50/50 verm/spangum peat moss :shrug:

--------------------
enjoy your seizure
"Ninja Jar ©"Tek
Mycelium Water TEK

[quote]RogerRabbit said:
You don't need to drill a lot of holes.  Some growers choose to fan several times per day instead.
RR [/quote]

Edited by wickedsick (07/20/08 10:28 PM)

Offlineinfestedpasta
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Fast help, jiffy mix for casing? [Re: wickedsick]
    #8661038 - 07/20/08 10:29 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

if you dont have anything i think just verm works alright from what people say

Offlinesidewayz6.6
Bewildered White Boy

Re: Fast help, jiffy mix for casing? [Re: infestedpasta]
    #8661060 - 07/20/08 10:35 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Oh, OK.  I'm gonna do the verm, only it's in a mini-tub.  I'm going to landscape it with mounds and stuff, like one of those oriental tree gardens!:cool:

--------------------

Anything I post is purely theoretical, and not based in reality.  All pictures are from google.

A big part of me has died inside and I don't know if it will ever come back.  Nothing makes me happy anymore.  I use drugs and alcohol to numb the pain, and my sense of humor to hide the rest.  I don't share these feelings with anyone in real life.

OfflinePrimalTwilight
Stranger
    #8661064 - 07/20/08 10:37 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

The "jiffy mix" we use is made up of peatmoss and several other ingredients.  You can buy it at lawn and garden stores even home depot, lowes, online http://www.jungseed.com/dp3.asp?c=639&sku=54334 .  You can also use straight verm to case too.

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #8661071 - 07/20/08 10:37 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Dude! You are thinking of JiffyMix brand food batters in a little blue box, (like corn bread mix).

The Jiffy Mix that everyone is talking about on this site is a potting soil. Same name, different animal completely!

You do NOT want your casing layer to contain nutrients. That would just give your mycelium more food to colonize. Fruits appear after colonization, therefore; casing = non-nutritive.

The casing's job is to create a micro-climate for your substrate, nothing more.
:goodluck:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

Invisiblewickedsick
<(^.^<)<(^.^)>(>^.^)>
 User Gallery

#8661075 - 07/20/08 10:38 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

sidewayz6.6 said:
Oh, OK.  I'm gonna do the verm, only it's in a mini-tub.  I'm going to landscape it with mounds and stuff, like one of those oriental tree gardens!:cool:

dont forget to sterilize the verm...put in the oven in a tinfoil bag at 350 for 30 mins

--------------------
enjoy your seizure
"Ninja Jar ©"Tek
Mycelium Water TEK

[quote]RogerRabbit said:
You don't need to drill a lot of holes.  Some growers choose to fan several times per day instead.
RR [/quote]

Offlinesidewayz6.6
Bewildered White Boy

Re: Fast help, jiffy mix for casing? [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8661191 - 07/20/08 11:03 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

BrandNewbie said:
Dude! You are thinking of JiffyMix brand food batters in a little blue box, (like corn bread mix).

The Jiffy Mix that everyone is talking about on this site is a potting soil. Same name, different animal completely!

You do NOT want your casing layer to contain nutrients. That would just give your mycelium more food to colonize. Fruits appear after colonization, therefore; casing = non-nutritive.

The casing's job is to create a micro-climate for your substrate, nothing more.
:goodluck:

Ooooh, ok.  I guess I was confusing bulk substrate with casing, then?  I just cut my cakes in half, then covered lightly with a layer of verm, and misted, will this be ok?

Oops, too late to sterilize the verm.  I sterilized the container, and the knife to cut the cakes. tho...:rolleyes:

--------------------

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #8661298 - 07/20/08 11:32 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

You should be okay.

If you want to play it safe, bake some verm in the oven, let it cool, wash off the non-sterile verm from your cakes under running water at the sink, and re-roll in the baked verm. No big deal.

:2cents:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

Offlinesidewayz6.6
Bewildered White Boy

Re: Fast help, jiffy mix for casing? [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8661404 - 07/21/08 12:11 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

BrandNewbie said:
You should be okay.

If you want to play it safe, bake some verm in the oven, let it cool, wash off the non-sterile verm from your cakes under running water at the sink, and re-roll in the baked verm. No big deal.

:2cents:

OK, cool.  I was going to say I never sterilized the verm for te cakes (PFTek), but then I remembered I boiled it.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds