Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineWhiteBunny
How deep doesthe rabbit hole go?
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Anyone know much about playstation 3?
    #8660818 - 07/20/08 09:19 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

So I have been looking for a playstation 3 on craiglist and I found one today and the guy said it was an 80gig with one controller and he let me pick 4 games.  I got Grandtheft auto 4,bad company, metal gear solid 4, and an unopened call of duty 4 for a $400.  I want to make sure that it is an 80 gig system because when I click on system it says 55 gigs total.  So it seems like it maybe a 60 gig ps3.  Either way it's a good deal but is there anyway to find out for sure?  Like a model number and way to check it out?

WB

--------------------

Edited by WhiteBunny (07/21/08 08:53 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
Re: Anyone know much about playstation 3? [Re: WhiteBunny]
    #8660859 - 07/20/08 09:30 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

$1000, for the ps3 with 4 games?  you got ripped off to begin with.  The system is only $499 for an 80 gig, games are $60 each.

On how to check, with 55gb total showing, it is probably a 60gb.  I wouldn't worry too much about the hdd, as it is swappable to any size you want, I would worry about the fact you got taken for extra money.  Also, the 60gb do come with the original ps2 processor in the machine, making ps2 compatibility 100%, the 80gb models only do software emulation, so have about 96% compatibility, though I have never run into a ps2 game my 80gb won't play.

peace

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

Loc: SOLARIS
Re: Anyone know much about playstation 3? [Re: supra]
    #8662183 - 07/21/08 08:48 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Supra what games you playing?

--------------------
Man is timid and apologetic; he is no longer upright; he dares not say "I think," "I am," but quotes some saint or sage. He is ashamed before the blade of grass or the blowing rose.Man postpones or remembers; he does not live in the present, but with reverted eye laments the past, or, heedless of the riches that surround him, stands on tiptoe to foresee the future. He cannot be happy and strong until he too lives with nature in the present, above time
TRANSCEND

OfflineWhiteBunny
 User Gallery

#8662207 - 07/21/08 08:57 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

supra said:
$1000, for the ps3 with 4 games?  you got ripped off to begin with.  The system is only $499 for an 80 gig, games are $60 each.

On how to check, with 55gb total showing, it is probably a 60gb.  I wouldn't worry too much about the hdd, as it is swappable to any size you want, I would worry about the fact you got taken for extra money.  Also, the 60gb do come with the original ps2 processor in the machine, making ps2 compatibility 100%, the 80gb models only do software emulation, so have about 96% compatibility, though I have never run into a ps2 game my 80gb won't play.

peace

Sorry, I got it for $400, I think I was thinking about Grand theft auto.  Is the picture a big difference with a 1080p tv compared to just a tube?  Do you use it as a blu ray player and is the image as good as blu ray only players?

I also found someone willing to sell a 80 gig PS3 with no games and one control for $275... should I get it to re-sell?

WB

--------------------

Offlinewatchoutnow
mind'sonrecord/itsbeingviewed
 User Gallery

#8663227 - 07/21/08 01:11 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I had a first generation PS3 and it was a POS. Well, it played games fine, but I also expected a decent dvd player out of it; It failed miserably. The thing would freeze and never unfreeze during every movie I watched... So careful with that. And that was about the only problem I had... Mine was a 20 gig I waited in line at target to get... Now I got a 360 that I have traded it for...

Games to get when available -
I newest tekken about to come out
Soul calibur 4
Fall out 3
Street Fighter IV
Resident Evil 5
I also liked resistance - and part 2 should be better
Sports games are fantastic on PS2 controllers.

Really depends what your in to.... Their coming out with some gory ass shit like fall out but I'm not sure if its even good... Some games just have good trailers and stuff. SoulCalibur 4 would be the one I recommend and I will get it right away for 360.

I Might have to reinvest in a PS3 later down the road but for now the 360 is keeping me well entertained and I don't even play that much as of late.

--------------------
I quit. Touch it.
"My views ain't changed to live humane wait" -Eminem
"Ya'll make me too rounded and I'm addicted, WTF I'm drunk. Wtf I'm high. Wtf I'm... Not sober... Sober block." -me crazily self.
"From that what, knowledge of self - determination!" -Blackstar
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Ever since I got braces shit gets stuck in my teeth.
Make me *** bitch!

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
    #8664143 - 07/21/08 05:52 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

WhiteBunny said:
Quote:

supra said:

peace

Sorry, I got it for $400, I think I was thinking about Grand theft auto.  Is the picture a big difference with a 1080p tv compared to just a tube?  Do you use it as a blu ray player and is the image as good as blu ray only players?

I also found someone willing to sell a 80 gig PS3 with no games and one control for $275... should I get it to re-sell?

WB

ive never hooked it to a tube tv, so I couldn't tell you.  I do use it as a blu-ray/dvd/multimedia files player, and it works great for me.  I don't have a blu ray only player either, but this one looks really good when you play a video, it is also an easily updatable player since they can package it in with the updates to the system.  Unlike the previous poster, i have never had a movie or anything lock up on it.

The only part I do not like is the fact that you have to set up a DLNA server to stream media to it.  I have a server with around 200 movies and tons of music on it, and I used to play them from my modded xbox1 through the network without problems, well, not high definition stuff, but regular.  With this, I have to run an extra server to be able to communicate with teh ps3.  It is alright though, since mediahome is part of the nero pack, and it is a dlna server, i think windows media player does it to, just not sure.  It also will not play .mkv files, so I have to use a program called mkv2vob to turn them into .mpg files, which it will play just fine.

peace

OfflineWronguy

#8666986 - 07/22/08 09:17 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

The easiest way to tell them apart is to pull the HDD out of the unit and examine it. I don't know of any other way other than to look at the stickers on the back. I can tell you that the difference between the two models, other than HDD space, is the 60GB has backwards compatibility via hardware emulation and the 80GB utilizes software emulation.

I own the 60GB model and I can tell you that PS3 in general is a superb machine. I use it for movie watching via Blu-Ray and media from my PC. I'm not a big fan of streaming (too many issues with Blu-Ray titles), so I simply copy the movie to my HDD and watch it directly. Just make sure the data contained within the video container is muxed (a single stream) and is compatible with PS3.

I recommend using either Nero MediaHome for streaming/copying or using Red Kawa File Server to transfer data across your network. I have found RK File Server to be the fastest, though the transfer speed never got above 150Mbps, despite being on a Gigabit LAN. The PS3 will upscale all media it's playing and has been verified via my Samsung DLP when playing downloaded movies.

I also use MKV2VOB to mux my Hi-Def movies as well. Great program! Have fun with your PS3.

OfflineWhiteBunny
 User Gallery

Re: Anyone know much about playstation 3? [Re: Wronguy]
    #8670772 - 07/23/08 07:23 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks guys!  I think that I will soley play games on console now.  Trying to keep my PC up got too expensive and the wireless remote is awesome!

WB

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#8672359 - 07/23/08 03:26 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

just make sure it isn't a 20/40gb model with an upgraded hd.  pretty sure you want a true 60gb version first, and then 80gb second.

i don't know enough about the 20/40gb models to say if they are worth it backwards compability wise.

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Re: Anyone know much about playstation 3? (moved) [Re: WhiteBunny]
    #8861847 - 09/01/08 05:12 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

This thread was moved from Science and Technology.

Reason:
Please help us get our new forum started. :smile:

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

Re: Anyone know much about playstation 3? (moved) [Re: Ythan]
    #8861888 - 09/01/08 05:19 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i've got me a ps3.  Currently playing Soul Caliber 4.

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery

Re: Anyone know much about playstation 3? (moved) [Re: Galvie_Flu]
    #8861923 - 09/01/08 05:26 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

It's got wireless Ethernet right?

I'm really anxious to get one because I just got a HDTV with some HDMI inputs.

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

OfflineGWAR
Scumdog of theUniverse
 User Gallery

Loc: Antarctica
Re: Anyone know much about playstation 3? (moved) [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #8861950 - 09/01/08 05:32 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I got ripped off for my PS3 after ghainvg it for less than a week ..
now im the proud owner of an Xbox elite.

--------------------

"Freedom to all the people... Brave, true and strong... Freedom to all the people... Unless I think you're wrong!!!"

OfflineJamio
1337 Tech Nerd
Male

Loc: In The Motherboard
    #8861962 - 09/01/08 05:35 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

WhiteBunny said:
So I have been looking for a playstation 3 on craiglist and I found one today and the guy said it was an 80gig with one controller and he let me pick 4 games.  I got Grandtheft auto 4,bad company, metal gear solid 4, and an unopened call of duty 4 for a $400.  I want to make sure that it is an 80 gig system because when I click on system it says 55 gigs total.  So it seems like it maybe a 60 gig ps3.  Either way it's a good deal but is there anyway to find out for sure?  Like a model number and way to check it out?

WB

Hey, I have had the PS3 since launch..

Ok that is a sweet deal, but there is one thing about the 20, 40, and 80gig's. They do not have the same emoticon engine that the 60gig model does. So pretty much just like the 360, you are only going to get Backwards compatibility on the more popular last gen games.

But all in all I would say that is a sweet deal, and I would grab it up. Also you can put linux on the PS3, and run it like a Computer, PM if you interested and i can walk you through that process. And if you find that 80gig is just not enough space, you can swap that out with any other 3.5" SATA Hard Drive. All it takes is removing 5 screws and your done.

--------------------

When The Power of Love,
Overcomes The Love of Power,
The World Will Know Peace.

Government - The TRUE WMD

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss, Shroomism, CookieCrumbs
3,065 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.02 seconds spending 0.003 seconds on 12 queries.