Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineC. duckie
Stranger
Female

Loc: east coast
preparing RGS
    #8654805 - 07/19/08 11:33 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i have tried a Burch of rye grass seed preparation teks from here stuff i read from RR and i think sporeworks all of the teks go something like add twice as much water then grain. my jars keep getting messed up with not enough water content. what i was wondering is
can i just soak my rye grass seed like i would WBS drain it and then load my jars ?

--------------------
might show tits for prints ;o)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: preparing RGS [Re: C. duckie]
    #8654861 - 07/19/08 11:47 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yes. Thats what most people do actually. 6-12 hours soak. They won't absorb more water after like 6 hours. Then drain, and load up ur jars.

--------------------

OfflineC. duckie
Stranger
Female

Re: preparing RGS [Re: MHbound]
    #8654995 - 07/19/08 12:37 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

would a 24 hour soak make the seeds explode ?  am i able to mix rye grains, wild bird seed, and rye grass seed together?  strait rgs is so expensive and if i can mix it with wbs for pans then i would be able to make alot more spawn.pollyfill lids are fine to use right ?

--------------------

OfflineC. duckie
Stranger
Female

#8656055 - 07/19/08 05:55 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

bump on mixing grains for pans

--------------------

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
    #8657205 - 07/20/08 12:10 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

No the longer soak can give the endospores time to hatch, and do its thing. The grains will not absorb any extra water after 6-8 hours by then it has absorbed all its going to do. I'm not sure why you would mix them together, but I guess if you want to mix them go for it. Its not going to help it any...At least not that I'm aware of.

--------------------

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
    #8657320 - 07/20/08 01:03 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MHbound said:
No the longer soak can give the endospores time to hatch, and do its thing. The grains will not absorb any extra water after 6-8 hours by then it has absorbed all its going to do. I'm not sure why you would mix them together, but I guess if you want to mix them go for it. Its not going to help it any...At least not that I'm aware of.

the reason u soak isn't to add water content, it's to hatch endospores so that the pressure cooker actually kills them.

I no longer soak, it's useless. I just simmer to water content, then PC, no failures.

InvisibleShnezbit
Psycho-naught
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Threshold.
Re: preparing RGS [Re: jeetered]
    #8657508 - 07/20/08 02:17 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

jeetered said:
Quote:

MHbound said:

the reason u soak isn't to add water content, it's to hatch endospores so that the pressure cooker actually kills them.

I no longer soak, it's useless. I just simmer to water content, then PC, no failures.

Interesting!

How do you know when your grain reaches water content just by simmering alone?

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: preparing RGS [Re: Shnezbit]
    #8657600 - 07/20/08 03:05 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Shnezbit said:
Quote:

jeetered said:
Quote:

MHbound said:

Interesting!

How do you know when your grain reaches water content just by simmering alone?

because i monitor the grain, and when it reaches ideal consistency, I pull them off.

pull a grain out, and squeeze it, i've used rye so long, i just know by eye also.

Invisiblewisp

#8657633 - 07/20/08 03:30 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

C. duckie said:
am i able to mix rye grains, wild bird seed, and rye grass seed together?

You can, but keep in mind that different seeds will require different soaking/simmering times to get them to maximum moisture content. So just like WBS, some seeds will explode while others haven't even reached there maximum potential.

OfflinePowerOfTheCoir
Newbie Sympathizer
Male User Gallery

Re: preparing RGS [Re: jeetered]
    #8657867 - 07/20/08 06:45 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

jeetered said:
Quote:

MHbound said:

There's one other reason to soak - it hydrates the seed coat and makes it less likely to burst. If you've got a good eye for hydration, then you probably don;t need any help avoiding burst seeds, but I tend to get distracted. Soaking gives me a good bit of leeway.

--------------------
Check out my first ever TEK!
Shroom capsules with the Cap-M-Quik (pics)

OfflineC. duckie
Stranger
Female

#8658161 - 07/20/08 09:33 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MHbound said:

the reason i would like to do this is because wbs is 7 bucks for 50 pounds and rgs is 7 bucks for 3 pounds i just want to mix them so i have more grain. would a jar half bird seed and half rye seeds be any harder for the pans or mexicana to colonize then 100%?
also how do you fruit right from the seed do you just lay down the colonized grain and case over it, technically there would be no substrate right ? just grain and a casing layer ?

--------------------

OfflinePowerOfTheCoir
Newbie Sympathizer
Male User Gallery

#8658199 - 07/20/08 09:40 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

C. duckie said:
the reason i would like to do this is because wbs is 7 bucks for 50 pounds and rgs is 7 bucks for 3 pounds i just want to mix them so i have more grain. would a jar half bird seed and half rye seeds be any harder for the pans or mexicana to colonize then 100%?
also how do you fruit right from the seed do you just lay down the colonized grain and case over it, technically there would be no substrate right ? just grain and a casing layer ?

You will have a tough time getting seeds with such different sizes to both hydrate fully when they are mixed. A better option which would still accomplish your goal of using half rgs and half wbs would be to make half your jars of one, and half of the other. Then just mix them when you spawn. That way when you hydrate them, you'll only have one seed size to deal with at a time (well, wbs is mixed, but they're all far hardier than rgs).

If you a fruiting from straight grains with a casing layer, then the layer of grain is your substrate. The substrate is just the nutritious material that the mycellium colonizes.

--------------------
Check out my first ever TEK!
Shroom capsules with the Cap-M-Quik (pics)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8658217 - 07/20/08 09:44 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

C. duckie said:
i have tried a Burch of rye grass seed preparation teks from here stuff i read from RR and i think sporeworks all of the teks go something like add twice as much water then grain. my jars keep getting messed up

No shit. 

Try adding twice as much rye grass seed by volume as water, and you'll be golden.  You have the recipe backwards. In addition, never simmer or boil rye grass seed. It's too delicate. My rye grass seed tek.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineC. duckie
Stranger
Female

#8658267 - 07/20/08 10:00 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

yes RR that is what i meant. that is the one i followed i said it back wars i didn't try it backwards but the rgs comes out sticky almost and i find that the top of the looks bone dry, i am comfortable with soaking so thats what i wanted to do.

--------------------

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: preparing RGS [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8659032 - 07/20/08 01:58 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

C. duckie said:
i have tried a Burch of rye grass seed preparation teks from here stuff i read from RR and i think sporeworks all of the teks go something like add twice as much water then grain. my jars keep getting messed up

No shit. 

Try adding twice as much rye grass seed by volume as water, and you'll be golden.  You have the recipe backwards. In addition, never simmer or boil rye grass seed. It's too delicate. My rye grass seed tek.
RR

what the ? BS, i simmer my RGS and my rye berries... both do well.

OfflineHazeyRoms
The Pro Sonn
Male

Loc: Wisconsin
    #8659086 - 07/20/08 02:13 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

-WBS, is a horrible thing to use in mycology, at least in my opinion. WBS has always gave me a high failure rate.

-I'm located in the north to Midwest, so rye grass seed is like only a $1.29 a lbs. But I always get great success with:
-Rye Seed
-Rye Berrie
-Verm and BRF w/ a kiss of rye grass (Makes some snowy white healthy mycelium)

-Of course after colonization, a casing is in order

--------------------
-Sonn, Hazey here. And I'm bacc. Anyone in Wisconsin, PM me. Unity my nillas/niggas.

-"5 Nike duffle bags??? How much does all that weigh?? - Just 30 pounds Bruhh, relax my nilla, it don't stink like weed so we're all good."-(Penis Envy Moments)-

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate