Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleZwieback0
Baby Bread
 User Gallery

Sea Of Shroom.Read FAQ, no answers on Q to method
    #865702 - 09/05/02 04:14 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

SORRY!!! If youve seen this post many times. Ive read the FAQand searched for hours. Ive learned many new things about casing, but still dont know the answer to these two Qs.!!!!

Link http://www.shroomery.org/findorgrowthem.php?View=docs&doc=100

It seems simple, yet there are not measurement of the amount of vermeculite to place in and amount of soil in the cup. How much do I need to use?

And at the bottom it says "When pins begin to form, you can take the casings out of the cups and set them directly on your perlite"
How would you do this when there are loose soil on top and loose vermiculate on bottom? Wouldnt it jsut fall apart?

Appreciated

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineShaw
hick

Loc: midwest, usa
Re: Sea Of Shroom.Read FAQ, no answers on Q to method [Re: Zwieback0]
    #865718 - 09/05/02 04:19 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

well, i personally think this tek is crap. I've never seen anyone but newbies try it. As for the loose soil thing, mycelia fan out through it and hold it together.

--------------------

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #865749 - 09/05/02 04:38 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

In reply to:

It seems simple, yet there are not measurement of the amount of vermeculite to place in and amount of soil in the cup. How much do I need to use?

Yes, it is somewhat ambiguous. Try adding maybe 1cm or so of moist vermiculite on the bottom and on the top.

In reply to:

And at the bottom it says "When pins begin to form, you can take the casings out of the cups and set them directly on your perlite"
How would you do this when there are loose soil on top and loose vermiculate on bottom? Wouldnt it jsut fall apart?

I doubt it. The cakes will have grown together.

Personally, I think this tek is a bad way to go. I don't really see any advantages to the PF Tek and I can identify a few disadvantages by just skimming it. Follow the PF Tek to the letter and you'll do just fine.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #865864 - 09/05/02 05:51 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

this tek assumes that you have allready been to fanaticus.com and have learned how to do it with eighty percent or better success.

this tek is mostly a way of introducing begginners to tray technique, which is often incorrectly referred to as "casing." casing is the layer of somewhat inert material applied to the surface of a colonized substrate to optimize conditions for pins to form, and to reduce contamination. the bottom layer is also sometimes called a casing, and is a regulator of humidity. it takes the place of about a foot of dirt that would be underneath the substrate in wild conditions.

there is no set volume to place in the cup, as cups vary in size. a minimum of a half inch of vermiculite is reccomended. perlite can be used as a substitute but has its problems.

as is mentioned above, by the time they are ready to take out to a terrarium, you will once again have a somewhat solid unit of mycelium, not loose dirt. anything loose at this point is better off not being there.

Offlinefreshjive
G.I. Joeprobably atemushrooms
Loc: CubensisVille
Re: Sea Of Shroom.Read FAQ, no answers on Q to method [Re: tchyted]
    #866453 - 09/06/02 05:36 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I've seen this tek yield quite a bit more than any other tray tek or casing tek or whatever someones ANAL ass wants to call it. The theory is simple, and if done properly is just as good if not better than PF's tray/case tek. My pet turtle will be setting up 10 more of these tray's within the next week as he awaits only 3 pint cakes to finish colonizing. 10 trays from 3 pint cakes! THats absurd they say!

Goes to show, what you don't know.

Freshjive :shocked:

--------------------
There are passengers, and there are drivers.
-Shroomers wanted!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation