Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Medical pot shop owner facing 100 years [CA]
    #8653696 - 07/19/08 12:43 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

July 18, 2008 - uncoveredslo.com

Medical pot shop owner facing 100 years
Charlie Lynch Trial Begins Tuesday

Charles C. Lynch sits in his South County home this weekend awaiting the start of a trial that poses for him the threat of a century in federal prison for doing what he thought was the right thing.

The parents of a San Luis Obispo County youth suffering from bone cancer agree with Lynch, as does a legion of supporters.

Not agreeing? San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Pat Hedges, and the federal government.

Lynch, former owner of a licensed Morro Bay medical marijuana dispensary, was at his business March 27, 2007, when he was visited by a joint team of well-armed and flak-jacketed San Luis Obispo County sheriff’s deputies and federal Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) agents. They collected his inventory but made no arrest. Lynch reopened the business “with the blessing of the landlord and city officials,” he would later say.

The landlord would later report pressure from DEA authorities, and Lynch was forced to close in May 2007. He was arrested two months later, a first for Lynch. The Arroyo Grande man’s trial for marijuana sales starts Tuesday in U.S. District Court at 8 p.m. in Courtroom 10.

The business Lynch was operating is legal under California law. Federal law, however, views cannabis as a Schedule 1 drug and U.S. drug agents have demonstrated a tendency to enforce pot laws vigorously. Rulings on pre-trial motions have determined that jurors hearing Lynch’s case will not be told that he was running a compassionate marijuana business, properly and under California law. Instead, prosecutors will charge that Lynch is a drug king-pin who faces enhanced charges of selling the drug to a minor.

During a brief telephone conversation with Lynch Friday, a reporter could hear young children laughing and chattering in the background. Lynch referred all questions to his attorney, federal public defender Reven Cohen.

Lynch will begin his trial knowing that somewhere between the smiles, handshakes, and backslaps from city officials and Morro Bay business owners welcoming his business in 2006 came “the tip” – information and an invitation provided to federal drug enforcement authorities by Sheriff Hedges.

Hedges has said repeatedly that he is required to follow federal law because it preempts state regulation. The sheriff recently attempted to keep a few grams of medical marijuana confiscated from a county man who possessed a prescription from a physician. Though Hedges eventually gave the pot back to its owner after being threatened by a local judge, he remained adamant about his position. Hedges wrote in March to UncoveredSLO.com that he has “heard the argument that I am not required to enforce federal law. I would simply ask if I am required to comply with federal law. My opinion is that I am. I would hope that you would agree.”

Hedges added, “As sheriff, I retain all options that any other individual has as far as exercising my right to appeal.” He wondered “what law authorizes me to engage in the distribution of a controlled substance? It is my opinion that the legal system should be given an opportunity to answer the issues as they deal with distribution.”

Lynch faces enhanced sales charges because he sold medical pot to Owen Beck, a young athlete whose leg was amputated after physicians found cancer. With his parents’ permission, and after trying everything that contemporary medicine could provide, Beck turned to the medical marijuana dispensary for help. At that time, he was 17 and accompanied by his father.

Beck and his parents had reason to feel confidence in Lynch’s shop; Lynch was a member in good standing of the Morro Bay Chamber of Commerce, and had the endorsement and support of a wide variety of local officials and fellow business owners.

Beck said he found comfort with the pot for the first time since his disease had been diagnosed and his leg taken.

The story of Beck and Lynch has been told in a short documentary on reason.tv, narrated by television star and comedian Drew Carey.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Medical pot shop owner facing 100 years [CA] [Re: veggie]
    #8653725 - 07/19/08 12:58 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i dont no y i torture myself watching this disturbing stuff
kinda killed my high...

--------------------

InvisibleBirdsIView
Mr. Helms
 User Gallery
Re: Medical pot shop owner facing 100 years [CA] [Re: Coaster]
    #8653781 - 07/19/08 01:22 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Sickening. Just shows that the federal government can do whatever the hell they want to whoever the hell they want. And people say we live in the greatest country in the world, HA!

Invisiblemellontatauda
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Medical pot shop owner facing 100 years [CA] [Re: BirdsIView]
    #8653792 - 07/19/08 01:26 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

fuck america

--------------------
:jah:

InvisibleLateForTheFuture
Old Hand
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Medical pot shop owner facing 100 years [CA] [Re: veggie]
    #8653808 - 07/19/08 01:33 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Very well done vid.

This is very frightening. The Federal Government's power over the State's was never intended by our founding fathers.

Sigh.

Good luck to the man who is charged, sadly as usual, in this case. Hopefully one day his charges can be revoked and respectfully apologized for!!

OfflineIzangi
He who Invites
Male User Gallery

Loc: In a field in FL
Re: Medical pot shop owner facing 100 years [CA] [Re: LateForTheFuture]
    #8653870 - 07/19/08 02:15 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Man that makes me angry..makes me ashamed to live in such a corrupt system full of ignorant people

--------------------
chris606 said:
some 1 told me to try long brown rice and water and vermiculite and pressure cook for 1 hour i did but nothing happen that is y was wonting to no if i need spores
RogerRabbit said:
Nothing gets more sterile than red hot.

All posts are intended for fictional or educational purposes only.

No statements in any post or message by myself should be taken as fact. Use of contained information or opinions may be in violation of local, provincial, and/or federal laws.

OfflineGroomies
Ghost
 User Gallery

Re: Medical pot shop owner facing 100 years [CA] [Re: LateForTheFuture]
    #8653882 - 07/19/08 02:22 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

100+ years for growing.. 20 years for murder... who the fuck let the FEDs have so much power?  i don't think i ever voted for this.

--------------------
:hotidea::hotidea::hotidea:

OfflineHighHat
Repeat Gold Medal eBay -TiVoist
Male

Loc: Delocated
Re: Medical pot shop owner facing 100 years [CA] [Re: Groomies]
    #8653937 - 07/19/08 03:00 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Sigh... His legion of supporters needs to storm the courtroom, surround him, then take him home and stay up around the clock and make sure he isn't captured. If he is, they should get bulldozers, cutting torches, and pry-bars and come get him. Completely nonviolent extradition from the feds en masse. That's what needs to be done. For everyone like him.

--------------------
Have you ever felt like you were wearing a hat, but you weren't?

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -Letter from the Pennsylvania Assembly, November 11, 1755

This profile is strictly for role-playing. Any alleged association with illegal activities is purely fictional. Any images depicting illegal activities are photo-shopped or stolen.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag