Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Poisonous Mushrooms Almost Kill Teen In S.C.
    #854772 - 08/31/02 10:06 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

POISONOUS MUSHROOMS ALMOST KILL TEEN IN S.C.
Girl Had Ventured Into Pasture To Find Hallucinogenic Variety

When Brittany Frye went into a cow pasture last week to find some so-called magic mushrooms, it was a trip that nearly turned deadly.

Instead of hallucinogenic mushrooms, the 17-year-old ate a toxic variety that destroyed her liver.

Now she's recovering from a liver transplant after her mother donated part of her liver to her daughter.

"I'm not eating another mushroom in my life," the Sumter, S.C., teen-ager said Wednesday as she recovered at the Medical University of South Carolina.

Doctors who performed the transplant said it's thought to be the first time a living donor has been used for a transplant required by poisonous mushrooms.

Mother and daughter were doing well Wednesday and were expected to return home in a few days.

Brittany ate a mushroom known as Destroying Angel, amanita virosa, a member of a mushroom family responsible for about 90percent of the deaths from mushroom poisoning, doctors said.

Three days after Brittany drank a half glass of mushroom tea and ate a handful of mushroom caps, she was taken to the hospital. She underwent surgery Saturday.

"At that point, Brittany was in a coma, and we didn't think she was going to wake up," said Dr. Ken Chavin, a transplant surgeon at the hospital.

"For people who want to get high from mushrooms, there are smart ones who can identify them and there are dead ones," Chavin said. "And in some cases, the smart ones are also dead."

Brittany, sitting in a wheelchair in a hospital gown, held her father's hand and said she has eaten hallucinogenic mushrooms in the past but won't anymore.

"You can't trust your judgment. You don't know which ones are going to kill you," she said. "It was unbelievable something that little could affect you so bad."

Her father, James Frye, an operations manager for an electric motor company, said the incident "has opened my eyes tremendously. You hear about the alcohol and the drugs, but you wouldn't think someone would go out into the cow pasture and pick something."

URL: http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v01/n1259/a08.html
Newshawk: chip
Pubdate: Thu, 12 Jul 2001
Source: Charlotte Observer (NC)
Copyright: 2001 The Charlotte Observer
Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/78
Author: Bruce Smith (Associated Press)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MAP posted-by: Keith Brilhart

I posted this old story as a reminder of how dangerous it can be if people go hunting for mushrooms that don't know what they are doing. Its reasons like this that the Shroomery exist to save lives and spread the knowledge.

Edited by 3DSHROOM (08/31/02 10:25 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCompiler
Male

Loc: USA
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Thor]
    #859686 - 09/02/02 06:40 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
Compiler

OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: Thor]
    #860641 - 09/03/02 03:05 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: Macey Howard]
    #860703 - 09/03/02 03:46 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Poisonous Mushrooms Almost Kill Teen In S.C. [Re: Compiler]
    #860862 - 09/03/02 05:08 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Wow, that could have been a disaster :frown:

I never realized just how bad it is when it comes to ignorance with mushroom hunting until me and 3Dshroom took over. I used to get weekly emails that truly frightened me in how the person seemed totally unaware of the dangers of picking..

Here's a sample one I was sent about 8 months ago, to this day I'm quite astonished and shocked at this one.

"Hi, love the site its the best man. Me and some buddies went to this cow pasteure and ate a whole bunch of shrooms, but nothing happened. I was wondering if we didn't eat enough, or if we should dry them first? We are going again out tommorow to try again, so please email me back right away.

Thanks!
"

Russian Roulette anyone? 

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#861009 - 09/03/02 06:15 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Incidents like this make me sad and mad.  If mushrooms have taught me anything it is that they deserve respect, both in caution and enjoyment.  Our cares for the young dear and her mother aside, consider the possibility of increased LEO monitoring for autumnal collectors as this happens more  --  "In order to protect our youth".    Dept. of Homeland Security should be heading up that one. . .  :wink:

From my point of view, the problem is a little like sex;  specifics are not taught in school or at home, but kids still get a vague, gossipy idea that it might be another interesting button to push. 

It is great that the Shroomery can function to inform the curious that there are many first place winners in the annual Mycological Darwin Awards. 

My cap is off to all responsible for the large amounts of warnings I've seen lately. 

Compiler, you don't eat any wild mushrooms?  No morels, chantrelles?   

InvisibleCompiler
Male

Loc: USA
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Suntzu]
    #862277 - 09/03/02 05:53 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
Compiler

OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

Loc: Western Cordillera(Inverm...
    #864906 - 09/05/02 05:58 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

It's unbeleivable how un-informed people are sometimes. Unless you go to the shroomery, it seems people dont know anything about the dangers of false identification. It's unfortunate that people dont know these rules of common sense. I think a lot of people also are unwilling to exept them.

I could go on the someone I know for hours about the dangers of false identification and that you should have a degree in mycology, or years of expereince before you even think of trying to identify one, let alone make the dicsission of weather or not to eat it, and they will say stuff like'Oh, your just parinoid" or other narrow minded foolish comments of the sort.
These people will never be aware untill they are sitting in the hospital. I remember back in the old shroomery days, I was like 12 and 13 years old, I went out in the forest all time by myself and found mushrooms all over the place, but never would even think of ingestion. Thx to the shroomery, I had the common knowledge and wisdom to make wise decissions, and I was only 13.

It pisses me of that there would be any problems with the shroomery because parents find out there kids go to it. It's a great place and community, and it breeds wisdom. I learned all I know about drugs on the shroomery, and I am glad that I have that knowledge, because now, I can make intelegent, and informed decissions about substances. I feel that telling a kid "dont do acid because it's bad" is the worst way to prevent it. Now if you tell a kid exactly how it works, why it works, and what it does, they will most likely make a better dicission than if they knew nothing of the subject. This phylosophy can be applied to any sort of sittuation. This phylosophy is the way the world works. You make your dicissions based on prior knowledge and expereince. It's the way.

--------------------
addicted to reason
a hollow understanding trapped me
I cannot see outside but its calling

OfflinePurple_Voyage
Mind Explorer

Loc: UK
Re: Poisonous Mushrooms Almost Kill Teen In S.C. [Re: Thor]
    #871837 - 09/09/02 06:49 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Of course, if magic mushrooms were legal to sell then there wouldn't be any need for amateurs to go out and pick and would save a lot of lives. The governments around the world are so ignorant when it comes to drugs and don't educate enough about the dangers and benefits of them so people can make up there own minds. Instead they come out with a load of bullshit.

--------------------

Offlinecroftsk
cupcake

#878272 - 09/11/02 02:03 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

if she was so stupid as to pick destroying angels which really look nothing like magic mushrooms and then eat a huge, probably unmeasured, quantity then she deserves to be poisoned.

--------------------
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes.
You are free. - Jim Morrison

Invisibledilatedcreature
veteran

#888970 - 09/17/02 03:33 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

jesus new liver i bet that sucked maybe her parents tried to get rid of her with tales of magic mushrooms in the fields yonder.....

OfflineKlown
JailBird
Loc: OuterSpace
    #895207 - 09/20/02 06:49 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

that's fucking sad :frown:

--------------------
-What Is This FAQ You Speak Of?

OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

Loc: Western Cordillera(Inverm...
Re: Poisonous Mushrooms Almost Kill Teen In S.C. [Re: dilatedcreature]
    #896996 - 09/21/02 06:11 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

HA, Just the way you worded that was great."tales of mushrooms in the feilds yonder". HA, thats hilarious!!

--------------------
addicted to reason
a hollow understanding trapped me
I cannot see outside but its calling

InvisibleMeltingPenguin
Pooh-Bah

Loc: new england
    #907516 - 09/25/02 02:43 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I'm sorry, but What a fucking Idiot, a destroying Angel? I mean C'mon, what the fuck! a destroying Angel is pretty fucking easy to Identify....and it looks nothing at all like anthing....its a big White mushroom that says "DEATH" it might as well have a fucking Jolly Rogers on the cap.

GOd dammit! i hope this experience destroyed her ablity to have kids.......

i really don't mean to be mean,,, but i mean DAmmit! what shit head.

i think you Admins should advertise this site in highschools somehow.....

--------------------
Growing anything is good for the soul

Offlineviscid
dikaryon
I'm a teapot

Loc: the mycological center of...
Re: Poisonous Mushrooms Almost Kill Teen In S.C. [Re: MeltingPenguin]
    #910648 - 09/26/02 07:50 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

sensational!

--------------------
You do not know me.

You can't see me.

Anonymous

Re: Poisonous Mushrooms Almost Kill Teen In S.C. [Re: Glacius]
    #967753 - 10/16/02 11:58 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

the shroomery is a great site... but i often wonder how a parent would react... yesterday i was involved in a spore exchange and afterwards thought about the fact that i didn't know the party i made an agreement with... i was buggin' a bit because i may have enabled someone else's child to experiment with compounds that are "misunderstood"...

great information but if it isn't understood by the young members it could be disasterous... not making waves ... just throwing something out there... take care

Offlinehsalf
bad O lover
Loc: not from around here
Re: Poisonous Mushrooms Almost Kill Teen In S.C. [Re: MeltingPenguin]
    #1007592 - 10/30/02 07:02 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Arrgh, me maties... :grin:
Pretty fucked up. Hope her statement 'bout never doin' 'em again was a ruse. Or that she out'grows' it. To cut off a few responses w/me sword: she'd prob become extremely knowledgeable, & cautious. Considering her mudder ain't got to much 'o a liver left to giver da next time she be sailing the liquid seas 'o stringy cheese. I mean, she had taken em before. But this poor (stupid) lass walked the plank & luck-o-ly lived to tell the tale.

OfflineTekNoid2000
Old Timer

#1039887 - 11/09/02 11:05 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Thank God she lived, it would have probably have National News if she had died.

Then shrooms would have had a very bad rep.

Shrooms are not for every one.

--------------------
Question the Nature Of Existence!

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Poisonous Mushrooms Almost Kill Teen In S.C. [Re: TekNoid2000]
    #1047502 - 11/12/02 07:00 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

No shit,
Seriously, of course the media exposes how looking for drugs or trying to do drugs or doing drugs is bad. They would never be open-minded enough to interview someone who had a magical spiritual journey and found themselves as a person.

Fuck the media...just propaganda against the worlds greatest treasure...mushrooms  of course :wink:

OfflineBavet
Sensitive StonedRebel

Re: Poisonous Mushrooms Almost Kill Teen In S.C. [Re: angryshroom]
    #1225496 - 01/17/03 04:40 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Once I had some "friends" that saw some shrooms growing outside around a place we were getting some pot from. The dumb asses having no idea what they were decided to go ahead n eat em. Tried to get me to eat them also but i refused. Nothing happened to them but it sure was stupid. They knew nothing about identifying shrooms and only did substances to get "messed up" Thank God I don't deal with those clowns anymore.

--------------------
"~Dream as if you'll live forever....live as if you'll die today~ James Dean"

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order