Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblegubi
Shroomaholic

Loc: Middle Earth
Re: No-Soak WBS prep, and you... a side by side study.. hehe [Re: DJYoshaBYD]
    #8644240 - 07/16/08 07:30 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'm doing it again tonight. Already had 6 qts of seed soaking for 12 hrs, going to boil some water and toss it in the bucket for 30 mins or so then rinse with cold water then gonna snatch the screen off my window and spread the seeds on it and set under a ceiling fan till outside is dry. Jar up and pc for 60mins. Better work this time!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: No-Soak WBS prep, and you... a side by side study.. hehe [Re: gubi]
    #8644327 - 07/16/08 07:56 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I did an update to this tek in my journal a while back. I agree on the grains needing to drain a bit more and changed the wording accordingly. As far as the seeds not being swollen enough or still being a little wet after the drain :shrug:. I haven't found that to be a problem as shown by the pics in the updated tek. The seeds colonize fine and whatever extra moisture is there disappears within a few days.

UPDATED WBS PREP

As I state in the tek, I'm sure people will say that I'm not doing it the proper way, but it works for me and that's all I need. The main thing is to find out what works for your own situation and run with it despite what people say. :peace:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #8644347 - 07/16/08 08:02 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

BTW, thanks DJYoshaBYD for the feedback about soaking the grains an extra hour. I may do that next time just to see the difference in size you're talking about. If it makes a considerable difference, I'll edit my journal post. :peace:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlineshevanel
Gone til November
 User Gallery

#8644392 - 07/16/08 08:16 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I've been following this thread for a few days now and I was interested in Foo's method because I've been getting my schedule screwed up from choosing the wrong days to begin soaking my seed.. (sometimes I have to throw seed out simply because I couldn't get to it in time after allowing it to soak 36+ hours.)

So tonight I decided to try the boiling water method. I rinsed and sifted 8lbs of wbs and loaded into a mesh straining bag. Boiled water in my 23qt Pc, turned off the heat and inserted the mesh bag into the hot water then placed the PC lid on.

After 2 hours of soaking in the hot water the seed still does not seem to be "ready" to use and I'm out of time so it's going to have to sit in there until 6am :shocked: ...

I don't have time to wait another hour or 2 and I cannot use the seed at it's current level of hydration so I guess we shall see what this mess will look like in the morning. It's only $2 of WBS so it's a cheap experiment to see whether or not I'll have usable grain or not.

:crazy2:

Invisiblegubi
Shroomaholic

Re: No-Soak WBS prep, and you... a side by side study.. hehe [Re: FooMan]
    #8644416 - 07/16/08 08:22 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I think your tek is laid out quite nicely Foo. My wbs just has tons of milo in it (Bird Basics) so it needed a bit more time with the hot water. After the 90 mins it was set to go. I just loaded them up to wet I guess, despite the fact that checking moisture with a spoon and my hand told me I was ready to load them, my eyes told me otherwise as I still saw "glistening" moisture on them. I think they would have been ok if I would have dried them a little bit more and pced for 60 mins instead of 90.

All the teks will work, but it's the individual that needs to adjust it in certain areas for proper preparation. Just takes time and effort to find what works best. Unfortunately I'm still in search of this.

Invisiblegubi
Shroomaholic

#8645140 - 07/16/08 11:13 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Even docs wbs tek just says "drain" for 20 mins and cover so the top doesnt dry out....... I thought you wanted the outside to be dry....

Although it does look like he's only using 1 jar of seed in his tek.

Edited by gubi (07/16/08 11:45 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8645405 - 07/17/08 12:32 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Grains should never be added to boiling water.  That's a major cause of burst kernels.  At the very least, add the grains to cold water and then bring to a boil.

Hot water hydrates the grains much faster, so if you dump dry grains into boiling water, how can they absorb that much water without bursting?  The soak allows them to slowly absorb water, eliminating that problem.

Some growers are satisfied with ten percent burst kernels.  Personally, if I saw ten TOTAL burst kernels, I'd toss the whole batch and start over. Loose starch in jars is never a good thing.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: No-Soak WBS prep, and you... a side by side study.. hehe [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8645478 - 07/17/08 01:00 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I don't get bursted grains using this method. The temperature of the water drops as soon as you add the grains and continues to drop because the heat is immediately shut off. If anything, I would call this "steeping", not boiling.

Anyway, this method has been working for me for a long time (as I've shown), so if ain't broke I'm not going to fix it.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Invisiblegubi
Shroomaholic

#8645664 - 07/17/08 03:04 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Agreed Fooman, I just did this a couple hours ago and had a thermometer in the water, as soon as I added the boiling water to the wbs in my bucket the temp dropped to 190 right away. I had maybe 4 or 5 busted seeds in the whole 6qt batch (I searched for them). I layed them out on a huge screen in 1 layer to check the results. As for the draining part, uhg, it took me about 2 hours to get the moisture perfect. They're in the pc as I type at 15psi for 60min. Hopefully I don't get a whole batch of busted seeds again this time around.:mad2:

Offlineaspore
myconaut
 User Gallery

#8645803 - 07/17/08 05:50 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

My method I use:

Buy Rye.

Put rye in pot.

Wash.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Heat untill boiling.

Reduce to medium.

They are ready once the 'white' center of the rye is gone, and they looks ready to bust (and a few have)

Then I pour my whole pot onto a window screen held up by two chairs outside.

I then use the lovely summer sun to help me dry them, and a hair dryer too.

All in all, it takes about 1 hour total to process a bag of rye. I then PC at 120 mins and voila, perfect mushroom food.

--------------------

c        l        i      c        k        m        e

OfflineP.Menace
Contradicting the Status Quo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Let Me See Potato Salad!!...
Trusted Cultivator
    #8645872 - 07/17/08 06:41 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

FooMan said:
As I state in the tek, I'm sure people will say that I'm not doing it the proper way, but it works for me and that's all I need. The main thing is to find out what works for your own situation and run with it despite what people say. :peace:

And THATS why my Title says what it says :grin:
:congrats:

--------------------

http://www.sporeworksgallery.com/Cubensae/Psilocybe_cubensis_Menace

roby000 said: thats true a shotgun is almost like a college degree in a sense that if you show it to the right person at the right time you could make a lot of money.

Invisiblegubi
Shroomaholic

Re: No-Soak WBS prep, and you... a side by side study.. hehe [Re: P.Menace]
    #8645934 - 07/17/08 07:10 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I pced for 60min and..... Still got some grains that started to open up. They're not busted like the last time but some of them are definitely split open.
I don't get it. :frown:

*EDIT* Ok, actually I do get it. The heat is causing the wbs shell to get soft. So while in the pc it's easier for the seeds to bust as the shell has becomed weak. Just my guess, as the 1st time I did wbs I soaked for 24 hrs without simmer/steep and pc'd for 90mins and 0 seeds split open. But they got contamed my 1st try so I was just trying to figure out a different way. But I think they got contamed from me not pre-rinsing before I soaked. That wbs is some dirty shit. But what the hell do I know.

--------------------
I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.    ~ Thomas Edison

Edited by gubi (07/17/08 08:29 AM)

OfflineP.Menace
Contradicting the Status Quo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Let Me See Potato Salad!!...
Trusted Cultivator
    #8645963 - 07/17/08 07:27 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

shit... when i was processing grain I found it easiest and best (for me) to simply boil it like rice, about 45 minutes, no soak, and then allow it to drain overnight, when id get up in the morning i would then jar and begin PC'ing

--------------------

http://www.sporeworksgallery.com/Cubensae/Psilocybe_cubensis_Menace

roby000 said: thats true a shotgun is almost like a college degree in a sense that if you show it to the right person at the right time you could make a lot of money.

InvisibleDJYoshaBYD
Male

Re: No-Soak WBS prep, and you... a side by side study.. hehe [Re: P.Menace]
    #8647526 - 07/17/08 03:21 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

dumping the grains into boiling water, and removing from heat does give some bursted kernels.. the key is to take it away from the heat. as soon as it is off hot burner, it drops in temp..

yes.. ANY bursted kernels suck balls.. a few are livable... but once you get your method down, you will not be breaking them as much..

if you are PCing and they are bursting still, then the pressure is too high, or the grains are too full.. lol.. they only burst when they cannot hold anymore, or if you are popping them like popcorn..

Offlineshevanel
Gone til November
 User Gallery

Re: No-Soak WBS prep, and you... a side by side study.. hehe [Re: shevanel]
    #8648206 - 07/17/08 06:15 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

shevanel said:
I've been following this thread for a few days now and I was interested in Foo's method because I've been getting my schedule screwed up from choosing the wrong days to begin soaking my seed.. (sometimes I have to throw seed out simply because I couldn't get to it in time after allowing it to soak 36+ hours.)

So tonight I decided to try the boiling water method. I rinsed and sifted 8lbs of wbs and loaded into a mesh straining bag. Boiled water in my 23qt Pc, turned off the heat and inserted the mesh bag into the hot water then placed the PC lid on.

After 2 hours of soaking in the hot water the seed still does not seem to be "ready" to use and I'm out of time so it's going to have to sit in there until 6am :shocked: ...

I don't have time to wait another hour or 2 and I cannot use the seed at it's current level of hydration so I guess we shall see what this mess will look like in the morning. It's only $2 of WBS so it's a cheap experiment to see whether or not I'll have usable grain or not.

:crazy2:

I couldn't get to the PC with the soaking grains until just now, almost 24 hours. I opened the pot to find a mess. Dark brown water and the smell of shit. I lifted the mesh bag out, took it outside and rinsed it for 5 mins using the garden hose and left it out to hang dry for a few.

I tested the grains and they look perfect, despite the extra long soaking time.

My conclusion is, when I soak my seed normally for 24 hours or even 36 hours, it's fine to use but still could use a bit more hydration.

the method I followed this time, dropping a mesh bag into a pot of hot water and allowing to soak til cool down (or longer) seems to be better than just a 36 hour soak or so.

I might try this method again, it seems efficient.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag