Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
StopWarOnIran.org email.
    #8643122 - 07/16/08 03:02 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

your thoughts on this shroomery?

Recent news makes it clear why it is more important than ever that we take to the streets on August 2.  According to press reports, President Bush has given the Israeli military the go-ahead to prepare for an imminent attack on Iran .  Israel is also using U.S. bases in Iraq to prepare for the attack.

The British Sunday Times of July 13, 2008  reported:

“Despite the opposition of his own generals and widespread skepticism that America is ready to risk the military, political and economic consequences of an airborne strike on Iran , the president has given an “amber light” to an Israeli plan to attack Iran ’s main nuclear sites with long-range bombing sorties, the official told The Sunday Times.

“Amber means get on with your preparations, stand by for immediate attack and tell us when you’re ready,” the official said.

The Jerusalem Post of July 13, 2008 reported:

“On Friday, sources in the Iraqi Defense Ministry told a local news network that IAF war planes were practicing in Iraqi airspace were landing on US airbases in the country as a preparation for a potential strike on Iran .”

Once again the most powerful forces of US corporate power – the military-industrial-petroleum complex -are using Israel as their proxy to threaten war on surrounding countries in the region.  Israel is armed, financed, and politically and diplomatically supported by Washington . It can not act on its own or without explicit permission from Washington .  U.S. tax dollars finance Israel wars against surrounding nations, and Israeli repression of the Palestinians, to keep the area “safe” for U.S. oil companies.

This is why it is vital to link the struggle against the war in Iraq and a potential war against Iran with the struggle of the Palestinian people for the right to return.

At the same time Washington is giving the Israeli military a go-ahead to bomb Iran , the U.S. Congress is moving ahead to escalate tensions in the region and possibly provoke an incident that would justify U.S. military action.  House Resolution 362 and Senate Resolution 580 both require that the President begin blockade of Iran .

The House Resolution “demands” that the President impose “stringent inspection requirements on all persons, vehicles, ships, planes, trains, and cargo entering or departing Iran .”  Enforcing this would require a U.S. Naval blockade of the Straits of Hormuz, which is an act of war according to international law.  Approximately one-fourth of the world’s oil, including that from Iran , Iraq , Saudi Arabia , Kuwait , Qatar and Bahrain , pass through the Straits of Hormuz, which is 21 miles across at its narrowest point (the shipping channel is less than 2 miles wide).

These two resolutions have received widespread bipartisan support from members of both Houses, and are expected to pass without debate or vote.  A staffer in House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office said that once the Resolution hits the floor, it will "pass like a hot knife through butter."  Some have speculated that the bill will be put on the floor under suspension — meaning that it will pass without even a vote.

Both resolutions accuse Iran of developing nuclear weapons, despite the fact that Washington ’s National Intelligence Estimate report last December that made it clear that every major U.S. intelligence agency believes that Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program.

Nor do the resolutions refer to the real nuclear threat in the region – the U.S. , which is the only country that has used nuclear weapons and currently has a massive nuclear-armed naval armada in the region.  It also does not mention the apartheid settler state of Israel , which is thought to have more than 200 nuclear weapons.

At the same time, two leading Senators announced on Tuesday, July 15, that they had reached a bipartisan agreement to expand economic sanctions targeting Iran .  Sens. Christopher J. Dodd, D-Conn., chairman of the Senate Banking Committee and Richard Shelby, R-Ala., called Iran “a threat to U.S. interests.”  Dodd, a former candidate for the Democratic nomination for President, said, “This bipartisan bill strengthens economic sanctions against Iran , and authorizes divestment from companies that do business with Iran 's key oil sector.”

Meanwhile, the U.S. is involved in “covert operations” – acts of terrorism – inside Iran .  In the July 7 New Yorker, Seymour Hersh revealed that Congress has approved $400 million to fund covert operations in Iran .  These operations include: providing support to armed groups opposed to the Iranian government, kidnapping members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards and taking them across the border to Iraq for interrogation, the manipulation of Iran ’s currency, and other acts intended to destabilize the regime.  Hersh reports that these types of operations have been ongoing at least since last year, but the recent Congressional appropriation signals a significant expansion of these actions.

It is clear that the Bush Administration is determined to push forward with its agenda of endless war to control the oil reserves of the Middle East . It is equally clear that members of Congress – both Democrats and Republicans – are collaborating with the Administration, just as they collaborated in authorizing and funding the invasion and occupation of Iraq .

It is imperative that progressive activists and organizations, particularly in the U.S. , mobilize to stop another brutal war, and to demand an end to the illegal sanctions and covert operations targeting Iran .

Stop War on Iran , an international grassroots campaign, issued an Emergency Call to for protests, marches, and other actions on the weekend of August 2.  Response to the call has been enthusiastic, and local organizers are planning events in more than 50 cities, including Los Angeles, Tucson , San Diego, San Francisco, Denver, Atlanta, Chicago, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Boston, Detroit, Minneapolis, Jersey City, Albuquerque, Buffalo, New York City , Charlotte , Raleigh/Durham, Cleveland , Oklahoma City, Philadelphia , Houston, Salt Lake City , Virginia Beach, Washington DC , and more – an updated list is available at www.StopWarOnIran.org.

Now is the time to take to the streets, because only a massive grassroots mobilization can stop another bloody and illegal war. 
In the next few days and weeks, we need to do everything we can to take to the streets to Stop a War on Iran.  We have a real opportunity to help build a massive grassroots movement to oppose the warmongers in Washington.

If you haven't done so, please consider organizing a local action on August 2 - or if there is already one in your area, contact local organizers to find out how you can help.

Also, please sign the online petition at http://stopwaroniran.org/petition.shtml and help us spread the word.  Signing the petition will send messages to President Bush, Vice President Cheney, the Board of Directors of Halliburton, and the media.

In the next few days, we will be preparing placards and banners, printing leaflets and educational materials, and holding organizing meetings to prepare for the August 2 protests.  Please consider making a donation at http://stopwaroniran.org/donate.shtml to help us with the enormous expenses of mobilizing a national response to Bush's war threats.

If you have a website, blog, MySpace, or other site, you can help us get the word out by linking to us.  Graphics are available at http://stopwaroniran.org/link.html.

Above all, join us in the streets on August 2 -for more information and updates, see StopWarOnIran.org.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSolomonTheShaman
I love to travel
Male

Re: StopWarOnIran.org email. [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8643156 - 07/16/08 03:07 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Iran's president has been quoted publicly as denying the Holocaust and systematic destruction of Jews and other minorities in WW2 ever existed.  I'm not a war hound, but, I'm all for stopping evil.

--------------------
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mohandas Gandhi

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: StopWarOnIran.org email. [Re: SolomonTheShaman]
    #8643194 - 07/16/08 03:15 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

apparently youre all for another bullshit war. only this time, our economy wont survive it.  iran is far larger and more equipped than iraq ever was for war.

--------------------

InvisibleCameron
Too Many Words
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #8643204 - 07/16/08 03:16 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Keep in mind that the world is far from being a lovey-dovey, evil-free place. The US government backs dictators and violent military coupes when it is in their interest to do so. If they decide to attack Iran, it won't be to dissuade evil and spread joyous democracy and peace, it will be to serve their interests.
Let the propaganda commence. :igor:

OfflineSolomonTheShaman
I love to travel
Male

#8643221 - 07/16/08 03:19 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not sure how you can get that inference from my post.  You also back my point by saying Iran is larger and more equipped; if they choose to enact a destructive force onto Israel or any other nations they deem as "secular" and not part of their ideals, then we're all out of luck.  Our economy and way of life won't survive for long even without any additional wars/conflicts in the coming years.  We, as a species, have some drastic evaluating to do on how we all treat each other period.  Please do more research before assuming I'm for a war from two lines of text.

--------------------

-Mohandas Gandhi

OfflineSolomonTheShaman
I love to travel
Male

Re: StopWarOnIran.org email. [Re: Cameron]
    #8643240 - 07/16/08 03:22 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

You raise very good points, Cameron.  Note my next post below yours stating we need to make some global changes.

--------------------

-Mohandas Gandhi

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#8643282 - 07/16/08 03:39 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SolomonTheShaman said:
I'm not sure how you can get that inference from my post.  You also back my point by saying Iran is larger and more equipped; if they choose to enact a destructive force onto Israel or any other nations they deem as "secular" and not part of their ideals, then we're all out of luck.  Our economy and way of life won't survive for long even without any additional wars/conflicts in the coming years.  We, as a species, have some drastic evaluating to do on how we all treat each other period.  Please do more research before assuming I'm for a war from two lines of text.

i basically heard from you:

"iran is an evil empire that needs to be taken care of, so i support another ridiculous war in the middle east."

maybe you should elaborate more next time so i dont have to come to a conclusion.  i asked for your thoughts, not a simple answer that would have been interpreted as it was.

--------------------

InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
    #8643306 - 07/16/08 03:46 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

:evil:

Let the bombs fall.

:woot:

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: StopWarOnIran.org email. [Re: Crasher]
    #8643338 - 07/16/08 03:52 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

it is not going to end well for us crasher. not one bit.    :shitstorm:

--------------------

InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8643382 - 07/16/08 04:00 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:

Agreed.

War, unfortunately, is in my blood.

Maybe we can get our Iraqi timetable and fix Afghanistan by simply smashing into Iran from both sides and abandoning our prior fronts.

:shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #8643392 - 07/16/08 04:02 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

There's not gonna be a war on Iran...

--------------------

Discuss Politics

InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: StopWarOnIran.org email. [Re: Ferris]
    #8643402 - 07/16/08 04:04 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Not on, but there's been one with Iran for a few years now.

Neither candidate will stop the width and breath of covert actions being performed across the globe.

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#8643423 - 07/16/08 04:08 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Crasher said:
Quote:

leftysurprise said:

Agreed.

War, unfortunately, is in my blood.

Maybe we can get our Iraqi timetable and fix Afghanistan by simply smashing into Iran from both sides and abandoning our prior fronts.

:shrug:

well im all for pulling out of both countries, but then send them back here, not to another shithole.

this will most likely spark another global conflict.  i doubt iran will be the only country we will be up against, maybe not at first, but i think if they stand up well enough to our initial attacks and then counterattack with any decent level of success, i am certain their allies will come out of the shadows.

not to mention crasher, what will our government do when several of these top ranking commanders in our military resign if we attack iran? that will surely resound throughout not only our country, but our troops and then the rest of the world, who already detest the possibility of another war at our hands.

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#8643433 - 07/16/08 04:10 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ferris said:

what makes you believe this?  because i have seen far too much talk of it around the world, not just from "conspiracy theorists".

--------------------

InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #8643489 - 07/16/08 04:23 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

Ferris said:

what makes you believe this?  because i have seen far too much talk of it around the world, not just from "conspiracy theorists".

From hawks.

It's far from an inevitability.  If there's going to be a war, it will be we who initiate it, and it won't be for any other cause than the propoganda spouted by those who will profit from such a war.

It isn't hard to see that Bush isn't likely to have enough political momentum left to get something like that going, and nothing short of another massive excuse to get people riled up will let Bush proceed.  It doesn't look like Obama, or even McCain, are out looking for a war, but both might in a retaliatory situation.

--------------------

Discuss Politics

InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8643499 - 07/16/08 04:24 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

not to mention crasher, what will our government do when several of these top ranking commanders in our military resign if we attack iran?

Promote new ones. :shrug: G.O.'s are a dime a dozen.

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#8643544 - 07/16/08 04:34 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ferris said:
Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

Ferris said:

From hawks.

It's far from an inevitability.  If there's going to be a war, it will be we who initiate it, and it won't be for any other cause than the propoganda spouted by those who will profit from such a war.

It isn't hard to see that Bush isn't likely to have enough political momentum left to get something like that going, and nothing short of another massive excuse to get people riled up will let Bush proceed.  It doesn't look like Obama, or even McCain, are out looking for a war, but both might in a retaliatory situation.

well first and foremost, youre assuming the bush administration will ask permission, seeing as they have already expressed their "executive right" to make any defense decision they need to. and secondly, i have a feeling that it will be israel attacking, then being attacked back and then us jumping in to save them.  then it will be labeled as defense of an ally instead of full out assault.

--------------------

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
    #8643546 - 07/16/08 04:34 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I honestly believe protesting does nothing. The media will downplay it or ignore it. The organizers and more dedicated protesters will be arrested. The politicans will laugh about it or debate about it until they stalemate and nothing happens. And everything goes on as normal.

I mean people think the end of the Vietnam War was some great counter culture victory or that they're dropping acid and having sex actually accomplished something. The Vietnam War didn't end until 1975, and our troops didn't get pulled out until 1973. Long after the supposed golden age of the hippies. And during the peak years of the counter culture were the bloodiest and most violent years of the Vietnam conflict (1965-1969) I don't know if there's a connection there or if it's just a coincidence.

Also, it is a fact the Vietnam War ended because of economical concerns on behalf of the United States government rather than any kind of social upheavial or culturial trend. Nothing the citizens of America did really mattered. It was all about numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I hate George W. Bush, the government of the United States more than just about anything but I see protesting and traditional counter-culture political activities and philosophies to be absolutely stupid in the modern day.

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#8643563 - 07/16/08 04:36 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Crasher said:
Quote:

not to mention crasher, what will our government do when several of these top ranking commanders in our military resign if we attack iran?

Promote new ones. :shrug: G.O.'s are a dime a dozen.

yes, but replacements wont fix the problems it will cause for morale and national and global support.  having 4 and 5 star generals resigning will be hard to brush off. :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: StopWarOnIran.org email. [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #8643577 - 07/16/08 04:38 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

StrandedVoyager said:
I honestly believe protesting does nothing. The media will downplay it or ignore it. The organizers and more dedicated protesters will be arrested. The politicans will laugh about it or debate about it until they stalemate and nothing happens. And everything goes on as normal.

I mean people think the end of the Vietnam War was some great counter culture victory or that they're dropping acid and having sex actually accomplished something. The Vietnam War didn't end until 1975, and our troops didn't get pulled out until 1973. Long after the supposed golden age of the hippies. And during the peak years of the counter culture were the bloodiest and most violent years of the Vietnam conflict (1965-1969) I don't know if there's a connection there or if it's just a coincidence.

Also, it is a fact the Vietnam War ended because of economical concerns on behalf of the United States government rather than any kind of social upheavial or culturial trend. Nothing the citizens of America did really mattered. It was all about numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I hate George W. Bush, the government of the United States more than just about anything but I see protesting and traditional counter-culture political activities and philosophies to be absolutely stupid in the modern day.

if enough people protested i think it could make a difference. if 100,000 people across the country protest, then yes, it will be downplayed, people will be arrested and business will resume, but if enough people stood up for what they believed in, it would work. i would love to see the media and government brush off 10, 20 or 50 million protesters.

--------------------

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #8643595 - 07/16/08 04:41 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

There was over million and something like ten million or some ridiculous number that marched in 2003 when this original bullshit started and not a damn thing came from it and it was forgotten just as quickly.

--------------------

InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #8643607 - 07/16/08 04:44 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
well first and foremost, youre assuming the bush administration will ask permission, seeing as they have already expressed their "executive right" to make any defense decision they need to. and secondly, i have a feeling that it will be israel attacking, then being attacked back and then us jumping in to save them.  then it will be labeled as defense of an ally instead of full out assault.

The War Powers Act still limits his power.  He was just able to use the clause that allowed a 30-day executive action without congresses approval.  Emergency powers only.  He'd have to pull one hellavu emergency for something like that to fly.  Other than that, power to declare war is still congress's beaf.

And like I implied before, he just doesn't have enough allies left, even among the Republicans.

--------------------

Discuss Politics

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #8643614 - 07/16/08 04:45 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

How many militaristic actions have we been involved in the last 100 years without declaring a war?

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#8643658 - 07/16/08 04:53 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

well we shall see, i hope youre right, i fear youre wrong.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale