Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Canada one step closer toward legalization? [Re: blink]
    #864277 - 09/04/02 06:58 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

That's the report that the whole news thing is about today, put out by the senate.

The house of commons is working on a report as well, which should be out by november. The justice minister says that actions will be taken after it is reviewed.

I think decriminalization is more likely, but legalization would really kick ass.

The senate report calls for total legalization, just have it regulated like alcohol, though oddly enough, they recommend that the legal age be 16, as opposed to 19, which is what it is in most provinces. They also say that the legal alcohol limit should be .04 instead of .08 if the driver has also been using marijuana. Fair enough if you ask me.

I think this is really cool. Will the government act on the senate's recommendations? Who knows. We can only hope.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Canada one step closer toward legalization? [Re: Phluck]
    #864559 - 09/04/02 10:46 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

What if Canada and Holland make a new UN ? Something with higher standards of tolerance , higher and true human values and not controlled by US lobbies, well the US would have to legalize mj to get into this new organization  :grin: .

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #864647 - 09/05/02 02:28 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I was HOPING for decriminalization, with the thoughts that total legalization was years down the road. But the committee's report states that decriminalization would be a step in the WRONG direction, and that controlled legalization is the only real solution.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Canada one step closer toward legalization? [Re: trendal]
    #864765 - 09/05/02 04:15 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Can any Canadian here give an address or two where "real" Americans (as opposed to corporate whores and their minions) could write to, to express our support of Canada's trailblazing and enlightened attitude and forthcoming policy change?

Americans here should also write their Congressmen and say "Let Canada run its own affairs. How about recognizing our Freedom in the pursuit of happiness as promised by our Founding Fathers?"

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Canada one step closer toward legalization? [Re: Swami]
    #864886 - 09/05/02 05:47 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.parl.gc.ca/common/Committee_SenHome.asp?Language=E&Parl=37&Ses=1&comm_id=85

That's the Canadian senate's website. I'm sure you can find an e-mail or mailing address somewhere.

More importantly, if you're a Canadian, WRITE TO YOUR MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT!

This link right here will help you find out who they are, and how to contact them if you don't already know.
http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/about/people/house/PostalCode.asp?Source=SM

They're the ones who will have to pass the bill when it is (hopefully) introduced in November. Might be later than november of course, governments are slower than potheads :P

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#864911 - 09/05/02 05:59 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Ah, I looked at the article again, the house of commons report isn't due out until Nov 30... I'm sure we won't see any bill introduced until at least mid December... ah well, isn't gonna stop me from smoking.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#864912 - 09/05/02 05:59 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

An excellent idea, Phluck.

Maybe we (Canadian shroomerites) should get together and start a nation-wide campaign. Hand out flyers and such. I know that 2600 has had lots of success with the same type of thing and I've even been involved in a flyer campaign for them (against the MPAA, if any of you follow that).

Universities would be an excellent place to start.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#864918 - 09/05/02 06:02 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I think I read somewhere this morning that a desision, or at least discussion, would probably begin in January.

--------------------

OfflineJovialLeprechaun
reasonableperson
    #864962 - 09/05/02 06:22 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

AHahhaha I love how the pro-legalization emails are so polite and happy, and the anti ones are full of rhetoric, cursing and complete bullshit.

It brings a tear to my eye to show how right so many people have been for so long.

--------------------
I am a reasonable person.

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
    #865034 - 09/05/02 07:06 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I have just written to my Parlimentary member... Jullian Reed. but do you think this guy will care?
sorry he just looks....pro-drug war, you know? set in his ways...

well anyways, i hope that something actually gets done
i think that the US will be so busy with their war on terrorism/iraq/somewhere middle eastern that they wont be able to fight this as well. They will mention it but nobody will be into it, they'll all be fightng to keep fighting. Since when did US law become world law?

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#865040 - 09/05/02 07:08 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Hehe, the first time I got stoned was with my MP's son. I ain't naming any names though, that's probably not a good thing to do. Those of you who know me can probably figure it out...

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #865054 - 09/05/02 07:14 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I blew off work for most of the morning and read the summary report. Here are some choice bits:

>Physical dependency on cannabis is virtually non-existent;

>In effect, the main social costs of cannabis are a result of public policy
choices, primarily its continued criminalization, while the consequences of its
use represent a small fraction of the social costs attributable to the use of illegal
drugs.

>The series of international agreements concluded since 1912 have failed to achieve their ostensible aim of reducing the supply of drugs;

>Canada should inform the international community of the conclusions of our report and officially request the declassification of cannabis and its derivatives.

>Some say that decriminalization is a step in the right direction, one that gives society time to become accustomed to cannabis, to convince opponents that chaos will not result, to adopt effective preventive measures. We believe however that this approach is in fact the worst case scenario, depriving the State of a necessary regulatory tool for dealing with the entire production, distribution, and consumption network, and delivering hypocritical messages at the same time.

>There have been tens of thousands of arrests and convictions for the possession of cannabis and thousands of people have been incarcerated. However, use trends remain totally unaffected and the gap the Commission noted between the law and public compliance continues to widen.

>As far as cannabis is concerned, only behaviour causing demonstrable harm to others should be prohibited: illegal trafficking, selling to minors and impaired driving.

>The RCMP should reconsider its choice of the DARE program that many evaluation
studies have shown to be ineffective;

>(IN BOLD) In our view, it is clear that if the aim of public policy is to diminish consumption and supply of drugs, specifically cannabis, all signs indicate complete failure.

>While cannabis is included, along with heroin and cocaine, in Schedules I and IV of the 1961 Convention, which carry the most stringent controls, it is not even mentioned by name in the 1971 Convention, though THC is listed as a Schedule I psychotropic along with mescaline, LSD and so on. The only apparent criterion is medical and scientific use, which explains why barbiturates are in Schedule III of the 1971 Convention and therefore subject to less stringent controls than natural hallucinogens. These classifications are not just arbitrary, but inconsistent with the substances? pharmacological classifications and their danger to society.

Taken from: Cannabis: Our Position for a Canadian Public Policy

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Canada one step closer toward legalization? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #865390 - 09/05/02 11:13 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

So this will be voted on..............in December?

If not, when will this be voted on?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Offlinefoghorn
enthusiast
Re: Canada one step closer toward legalization? [Re: Learyfan]
    #865450 - 09/05/02 11:46 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

sorry i dont have a link, but i just caught this on pulse24

"decriminalization of marijuana may be the first step, says justice minister."

pulse24 is one of those quickie news channels that give you nice short headlines about national/local news.  Since it is run by the Toronto Star, they usually run an article the next day! An article about the justice minister discussing decriminalization, a day after the senate committee news makes me very optimistic!

or maybe im just foolish :smile: vive le canada!

Edited by foghorn (09/05/02 11:49 AM)

Offlinefoghorn
enthusiast
Re: Canada one step closer toward legalization? [Re: foghorn]
    #865460 - 09/05/02 11:52 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Haha i just caught another one, something along the lines of

"Senate reform is required, as is evident with this latest pot report, says Alliance party"

I dont know much about the party, except it doesn't have any respect in Ontario or Quebec, probably BC too hahaha

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Canada one step closer toward legalization? [Re: foghorn]
    #865477 - 09/05/02 11:57 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

The Alliance party is a Western Canada based party, which is why it isn't too popular out East.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Re: Canada one step closer toward legalization? [Re: Learyfan]
    #865604 - 09/05/02 01:25 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

If not, when will this be voted on?

We don't really know. The news was that a Senate Committee report was released. It's just a group of recommendations; it isn't a bill. Someone said they expect to introduce a bill in November, but nobody knows exactly what recommendations it might follow. I think will still be some time before prohibition is repealed.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Re: Canada one step closer toward legalization? [Re: Rono]
    #865612 - 09/05/02 01:28 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

It's also the right-most party in Canada. I wouldn't expect them to be in favour of repealing prohibition, but there are a few some Reform MPs who support decrim.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #865736 - 09/05/02 02:27 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Sweet.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Canada one step closer toward legalization? *DELETED* [Re: Rono]
    #865746 - 09/05/02 02:36 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by blinkidiot

Reason for deletion: Im sorry

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals