Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Malt Extract, Paul Stamets, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGroovy Grant
 User Gallery
Loc: TX
Malted barley and corn syrup...
    #863834 - 09/04/02 04:52 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

ok i was at work today and i was trubing out , when i had an awesome idea... when you brew beer you use malted barley. its milled and then boiled and then thrown away. now this malt should still have some sugars left in it, plus if you add corn syrup to supplement lost sugars, this in theory should be able innoculate, right? you'd just reboil the malt, then while boiling is taking place add corn syrup. let cool down. i suppose you could add vermiculite or perlite to keep moisture... then just add to jars and pressure cook and introduce spores... anyone else have any thoughts on this? i am thinking i might try this idea when i get some free time coming up.
-grant

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Malted barley and corn syrup... [Re: Groovy Grant]
    #864884 - 09/05/02 07:45 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Spent brewery grains are a common substance in many mushroom composts. I suppose if you had some spent grain available? You might try it. However, rather than adding something like Karo syrup, possibly something with more complex sugars & carb's, like brown rice syrup or any malt extract might be better? Added to a pre/soak, so the grain could absorb some?

SixTango  :tongue: 

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineGroovy Grant
 User Gallery
Loc: TX
Re: Malted barley and corn syrup... [Re: SixTango]
    #865729 - 09/05/02 04:25 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

hmmm... will alpha acids inhibit mycelium growth? spent grain that has had hops added to it i think might grow slower... i wasnt talking karo syrup, although that might be corn syrup. but at work we get corn syrup in 3000 pound totes, i dont know if its any different. also i think i am going to try a combo of rolled oats and 2 row light malted barley with some corn syrup. becuase yeast is in some ways similar to fungi, do you think yeast nutrient would benefit mycelium? well thats all i can think of now... i will post my results when i get through with it.
-grant

Invisiblefr00ge
Stranger
Re: Malted barley and corn syrup... [Re: Groovy Grant]
    #866117 - 09/05/02 08:52 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I've used hopped brewers wort for making solid media and cubensis mycelium likes it! If you have yeast slurry on hand then forget the yeast nutrients and add a bit of yeast instead. Stamets recommends 2g/L for his MYA media. The nutrients found in yeast cells (after sterilization/pasturization) tend to be more bioavailable than the salts and minerals that make up most yeast nutrient formulations. You may want to augment the spent grain with more complex carbohydrates and less sugars. I tried straight malted wheat once and it got very caramelized when I sterilized it (the mycelium just said no). Another thing to keep in mind is that spent grain has a pretty high moisture content so you may need to experminent with drying it a bit or adding some dry substrate to hit your sweet spot moisture-wise.

Keep us posted.

Offlineaural
Hola Amigos!
Loc: The Desert In The Spring
Re: Malted barley and corn syrup... [Re: fr00ge]
    #866467 - 09/06/02 05:50 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I tried malted barely once,and it was a sticky mess.
I wouldn't worry about the small amounts of alpha acids in spent hops.They are not that antimicrobial in the first place,and,like you said,yeast is a fungi and it grows fine in wort.

In general,I wouldn't recommend adding much in the way of extra sugars or nutrients to grain-based substrates.You would be mainly favoring contaminants-mushrooms grow great on just straight grain.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Malt Extract, Paul Stamets, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology