Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehallera420
Stranger
Cold Shocking Hawaiians
    #8623723 - 07/11/08 10:06 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hey all I just started trying to grow hawaiians on rye seed,  and casing with a layer of straight verm.  I am having major problems even getting the mushies to fruit what so ever.  Out of 6 casings I have gotten 1 to fruit.  Do hawaiians take well to cold shocking? Are rye seed and verm. appropriate for this strain. 

Sorry if this is redundant, I went through much of the site (its freakin huge) and I didnt know if I had found what I was looking for.

Any tips for this strain/method would be greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
Re: Cold Shocking Hawaiians [Re: hallera420]
    #8623768 - 07/11/08 10:21 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Is it possible you are allowing the verm to dry out completely?

I have success using straight verm on every monotub, but, i keep it moist, it can dry out in just a few hours if conditions are right for it to do so. I've been using it for a very very long time, and I can just tell if it needs misted, sometimes i can mist up to 5 times in one day.

maybe you should try a different casing layer type?

I don't think the strain has a thing to do with it, i think it's you using a straight verm layer. Especially if it's any more then a 1/4" deep, i don't even use that much, and in fact, once it colonizes enough to poke through the top really well, i'll let it dry out some, enuogh to pour off the excess dry verm, and mist very well, and it takes off from there. I no longer suggest straight vermiculite casing layer even though it's the only thing i'd ever use, i've just never had luck conveying my method of success using it.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Cold Shocking Hawaiians [Re: jeetered]
    #8623960 - 07/11/08 11:36 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

You don't cold shock tropical species.  You can also mix verm with the rye berries as a sort of moisture reservoir.  For that method, search 'rez effect'.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinehallera420
Stranger
Re: Cold Shocking Hawaiians [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8624132 - 07/12/08 12:58 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
You don't cold shock tropical species.  You can also mix verm with the rye berries as a sort of moisture reservoir.  For that method, search 'rez effect'.
RR

see thats what I thought too (makes sense) but the one culture I had grow I did everything wrong (cold shocked, over watered, didn't fan) and that's the only one I was able get pins and eventually fruit from.

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#8625079 - 07/12/08 11:25 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

ah, teh "Rez effect"

did you not follow Ohm's tek hallera420 ? he covers adding Verm to the rye berries, as to keep things nice n moist, he even goes so far as to soak the verm in water mixed with boiled down non alcoholic beer, to add all kinds of stuff.

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Cold Shocking Hawaiians [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8625084 - 07/12/08 11:26 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
RR

IME cold shocking does nothing at all, so i don't do it.

Offlinehallera420
Stranger
Re: Cold Shocking Hawaiians [Re: jeetered]
    #8635023 - 07/14/08 07:59 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

So what would you suggest would be the best casing layer for rye seed and hawaiian shrooms.  Something not poo please I don't know if I could put up with the smell :P

OfflinePsoulocybe
Stranger

#8635918 - 07/14/08 11:47 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

No casing layer should contain poo or other nutrients.  A casing layer is for texture and hydration.  Verm/Coir is popular and I've had success with it in the past, though some will even argue against coir as it's a "substrate"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags