Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineacenXA
Stranger
the most strangest mushroom i ever did see
    #863508 - 09/04/02 01:22 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'm actively going to try to get some pictures but in light of this description i hope someone might help point me to a species or something to help me narrow down the search for and ID.
First the environment:
Open field park with lots of grass and large trees in the corner which provide ample shade and has a mossy/grassy/gritty sandy type soil quality. This is where I found 3 of these guys, each growing seperate from each other and about 5ft-7ft away from another. the first striking quality is the color. it is a purplish/violet/blue as like it's base color. Okay picture a painting and this is how i would order the colors. first the purple/blue on the cap and stem. them the cap seems to have a light wash of a sorta light brown and in some places darkening to a very rusty brown.
the cap is very thick and firm.
I collected 3 specimens, one mature, one medium and one young.
the mushroom changes very much over these three periods.
the young is very small, maybe a 1/4 inch cap. the stem is connected to the cap. what i mean is that the cap rounds over the side and connects to the stem. in the medium specimen the cap has started to break away and is revealing the gills. the now newly exposed stem is mostly whitish, while in the young one the whole thing is mostly that purple/blue with little brown. the medium is about an inch and a half wide cap, the stem about 1/2 an inch thick. the adult stem is roughly the same size with a purply-white base, moving to a more white top. the gills on the adult are slightly damaged and in some places have a filmly type residue on them which has turn to like a brown. the adult cap is maybe 2-2.5 inches wide and .75 - 1 inch thick. the gills are evenly distributed with spacing between them and they take a purple/white color. i'm attempting a spore print now. the cap also comes over gills like a coping on a building, only it is rounded over.
i know this is a strange description, but this is a strange mushroom. also in some spots the mushrroom was somewhat slimy, but that has dried by now.
the past week has shown a lot of rain in my area which is NYC metro and today was the first dry day and 2 days ago these fellas were not in the park. i come to this park often and have never seen them there before.
they smell kinda funky, almost like rubber.
i cracked a piece of the stem and it doesnt seem to bruise.
any ideas to help me narrow this one down? any other tests or descriptions i should give? Also i know there are many technical terms to desribe the things that took me 2 sentences in just a single word, but i dont know the terminology really.

any clues? thanks my fungi loving compadres

it is mostly that blue/purple with very little of the brown.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineacenXA
Stranger
Re: the most strangest mushroom i ever did see [Re: acenXA]
    #863751 - 09/04/02 03:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Okay this mushroom has a Cortina, or the cob web partial veil. it's disintegrated on the adult (mostly) and i see no ring zone as a result. It seems to be brusing that rust/brown.

OfflineacenXA
Stranger
    #863810 - 09/04/02 04:38 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

if anyone is still interested i think i've got the most i'll get

It appears to be a
Cortinarius traganus either Subgenus Telamonia or Subgenus Sericeocybe
apparently the cortina mushrooms are really hard to identify. maybe i got a one of a kind first ever.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #864152 - 09/04/02 07:46 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Cortinarius traganus is a Sericeocybe. A synonym for it is Cortinarius pyriodorus which (if you're up on your Latin) tells you it should smell like a pear. The books say like overripe pears.

You are 100% correct when you say that Cortinarius are hard to ID. Even among the professionals I've only seen two who will fearlessly tell you a name for them (Dr. Moser and Dr. Ammirati). The problem is that there are so many (at the talk by Dr. Moser he guessed there will end up being around 3,000 species in the genus), and so many of them look just like each other. If you want to pick a group of mushrooms to learn early, Cortinarius is a tough row to hoe.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification