Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
The 'End of the World' archetype
    #8633348 - 07/14/08 12:56 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Why do humans fantasize about the End of the World?  I am not making any statements about the potential end of the world, I simply am wondering why 'The End of the World' is an archetype that CONSTANTLY shows up in human consciousness?  I myself have been haunted in dreams and trips lately, having visions of the end of the world.  I'm not sure why this is, and I wonder why my consciousness would fixate on that. 

It's clearly a sign I need to write a story about it.  But WHY?!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: The 'End of the World' archetype [Re: MOTH]
    #8633361 - 07/14/08 12:57 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I always chalk apocalyptic visions up to death anxiety. :shrug: Take whatever you want from it, though.

OfflineMutatis Mutandis
Disgustipated

Re: The 'End of the World' archetype [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #8633384 - 07/14/08 01:02 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i think people who talk about the end of the world
want to experience it, i think people feel that
the end of the world will bring some sort of peace to all the fighting and horrible things that go on everyday...
just my 2cents

--------------------
"what is it called when the assassins accuse the assassin?"

"Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on."

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: The 'End of the World' archetype [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #8633450 - 07/14/08 01:16 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JacquesCousteau said:
I always chalk apocalyptic visions up to death anxiety. :shrug: Take whatever you want from it, though.

When I'm tripping, it seems like the end of the world visions are a way for me to witness my ego die. 

It's not just me though.  Why are so many humans fascinated by this event?

InvisibleChronic7

#8633472 - 07/14/08 01:21 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MOTH said:
Why do humans fantasize about the End of the World?

Its due to one simple truth, because it is inevitable.

Facing this is one of the best things a human can do in a way. Not in a morbid way but in an enlightening way, its just facing truth. Our own inevitable truth of the death our bodies goes hidden in denial, let alone the death of the planet.
Test out death of the universe in meditation, that is truly amazing!

When you let go of the world you let go of your body & mind organism too, & when you let go of that you can't identify with anything & thats liberation. Everything that ever happens to us is to awaken us, even the stuff that keeps us blind, especially the stuff that keeps us blind!

I would say you are dreaming of the end of the world to awaken you.

--------------------

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #8633501 - 07/14/08 01:26 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MOTH said:
Why do humans fantasize about the End of the World?  I am not making any statements about the potential end of the world, I simply am wondering why 'The End of the World' is an archetype that CONSTANTLY shows up in human consciousness?  I myself have been haunted in dreams and trips lately, having visions of the end of the world.  I'm not sure why this is, and I wonder why my consciousness would fixate on that. 

it may be a symbolic wish for the rebirth of humanity/consciousness. i guess the "end of the world" fantasies reflect "end of humanity" fantasies. it may also be a masochistic wish for death and punishment.

--------------------

Offlinebackfromthedead
Activated

#8633510 - 07/14/08 01:28 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Perhaps its due to Earth's present teetering on the brink of global disaster...??

Why are so many humans fascinated by this event?

I feel because its a physical reality that encapsulates the ego death experience.  A material manifestation of a much needed global spiritual death.  I fear that people mistake liberation for the transition at physical death only.  Little do most know that this Sacred Silence of 'death' can be achieved in the NOW.  It seems its hardwired to the archetypal imagery that humans are part of.  Floods, and what not...  Somewhere, not enough emphasis is put on the 'little death' or the spiritual death, which very much seems like the end of the world in vision and subjective experience.

Or as it becomes a real possibility there is more attention drawn into the problem as to bring awareness to the consequences of our way of life.

--------------------

OfflineBrainChemistry
Captain Obvious
 User Gallery

Loc: Mountains of N. America Flag
    #8633548 - 07/14/08 01:38 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MOTH said:

I think the issue is more, why dont MORE people fantasize about the end of the world? Most people think that the world will never end, that every thing is peachy, that the coming oil crisis, and global warming, will have no long lasting effects. Most people don't think about the end of the world because, the truth of the matter is, we are FAR closer to that possibility now than ever before in our history...and that scares people.

Look at all the things that are coming to a head. Its very likely that oil will run out within the next 10-20 years. Our planet is rapidly approaching its population threshold, also occurring sometime in the next few decades, global warming is threatening to melt our polar ice caps and change the ocean currents, which as many scientists have proven will cause chaos on our planet (it seems like those reports get worse and worse too....), and if your into mysticism, the end of the Mayan calender is in just 4 years, in which they predict will be the dawning of a new era.

Oh yeah, and we also have for the first time (well starting in the '60s, but still for only a short amount of time in human history) the ability to completely destroy our planet with nuclear, or chemical, weapons!

So when you put all these things together...the "end of the world" scenario is really not that unlikely, and SHOULD be considered by much more people.

I am of the personal belief that we will see some form of mass extinction event & global society change at some point with our lifetimes. Exactly what those events might be, who knows.

--------------------
Word to your mom.

InvisibleChronic7

Re: The 'End of the World' archetype [Re: backfromthedead]
    #8633563 - 07/14/08 01:48 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

backfromthedead said:

Perhaps its due to Earth's present teetering on the brink of global disaster...??

I feel because its a physical reality that encapsulates the ego death experience.  A material manifestation of a much needed global spiritual death.  I fear that people mistake liberation for the transition at physical death only.  Little do most know that this Sacred Silence of 'death' can be achieved in the NOW.  It seems its hardwired to the archetypal imagery that humans are part of.  Floods, and what not...  Somewhere, not enough emphasis is put on the 'little death' or the spiritual death, which very much seems like the end of the world in vision and subjective experience.

Or as it becomes a real possibility there is more attention drawn into the problem as to bring awareness to the consequences of our way of life.

I agree so much with what your saying, especially that its a physical reality that encapsulates the ego death experience. It demolishes identity.

Everything that happens to us is to awaken us, pain is there to FORCE us into the now to give birth to our inherent awareness.

--------------------

Offlinebackfromthedead
Activated

Re: The 'End of the World' archetype [Re: Chronic7]
    #8633599 - 07/14/08 01:58 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Chronic777 said:
Quote:

backfromthedead said:

I agree so much with what your saying, especially that its a physical reality that encapsulates the ego death experience. It demolishes identity.

Everything that happens to us is to awaken us, pain is there to FORCE us into the now to give birth to our inherent awareness.

When the opportunity to come to this realization through faith has timed out...  People will be FORCED.  Period.  Without sympathy I'm afraid.:shocked:  Such are the times.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #8633601 - 07/14/08 01:59 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MOTH said:
Why do humans fantasize about the End of the World?  I am not making any statements about the potential end of the world, I simply am wondering why 'The End of the World' is an archetype that CONSTANTLY shows up in human consciousness?

Ego.

People generally want to be alive during an important time.

If we are all going to die anyway, wouldn't it be cool if we were here to watch the end of life as we know it?

It would make death a little easier to accept... for many people out there... if we all died together.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The 'End of the World' archetype [Re: Rose]
    #8633613 - 07/14/08 02:01 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Without sympathy I'm afraid.

a spiritual c-section?

--------------------

InvisibleChronic7

Re: The 'End of the World' archetype [Re: Mutatis Mutandis]
    #8633637 - 07/14/08 02:10 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mutatis Mutandis said:
i think people feel that
the end of the world will bring some sort of peace to all the fighting and horrible things that go on everyday...
just my 2cents

It does seem this way, its only painful situations that brings us beings together, when 9/11 hit america was suddenly united, when its been calling itself the "united" states, its only when everything falls apart and tragedy hits us that we come together and unite. The story of humanity.

Ram Dass quoted an indian sage saying he was once staring off into the distance meditating and suddenly said ""There will come a time where you will walk miles & you will sight the light from the fire of another person & you will be so happy to know another person exists"

It seems like a tragedy of this effect will have to hit humanity to collectivley wake us all up, i hope not, but it seems inevitable. The end of human existence (of planet earth humans) itself seems inevitable. We may travel far into space but can we really survive for eternity in space travel and stay "human"???

:peace:

--------------------

Offlinebackfromthedead
Activated

Re: The 'End of the World' archetype [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #8633673 - 07/14/08 02:18 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

b0red5tiff said:
Quote:

Without sympathy I'm afraid.

a spiritual c-section?

Well shit when the infant has fetal alcohol syndrome, the umbilical cord is wrapped around its neck, and its upside down and backwards...  Doc has to step in.

Eh, What's up Doc...??:mushroom2:

--------------------

Offlinebackfromthedead
Activated

Re: The 'End of the World' archetype [Re: backfromthedead]
    #8633712 - 07/14/08 02:25 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

only painful situations
hit America
suddenly united
everything falls apart and tragedy hits
The story of humanity
the fire of another person
to know
a tragedy of this effect
to collectively wake us
seems inevitable
The end of human existence
seems inevitable
can we really survive for eternity
stay "human"???

-Chron

Everlasting life...??  Or brave death.
Fuck.  Death always wins.  Maybe not this time...  Muahahaha.:uptosomething:

--------------------

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
    #8633904 - 07/14/08 03:19 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

As technology progresses, we truly are coming closer and closer to the brink. There is no doubting this. All we have to do is for a moment, imagine, and it is given. It is true now that we are on this brink, as it was true 50, a hundred, and thousands of years ago. We are always at the front of any path.

History continually shows us how laughably ignorant we are in this sense. It is wholly testament to the skeptics, because as time passes there is a trail of rational, and logical considerations, and these are effective representations of experience.

But this does not, and will not ever dispute the nature of reality which is and always will be a mystery. We live on the brink. We are always in a peak experience. This is not merely a relativistic consideration. Certainly, humanity in our quite definitive uniqueness, is to be considered the significant peak of evolution on earth, if only by default. This seems to be a substantial deduction.

Moth, I agree that we live in an age where such epic considerations really are seeming more and more practical to humanity. Its the nature of the individual to burn out, as well as the group, as the history of other species on earth demonstrates. (frail as any historical consideration ).

Sure, every generation speaks of apocolypse, and history has continually proved these prophesies wrong. In a certain sense, it is completely reasonable to assume that we will go on ourselves and become a written history as well. Because time passes

But what does history better prove, the security of our existence (based merely upon being self evident), or that these epic/mystical impulses are significant, having been proposed generation after generation?

Now I know this is a bit of a digression, but you can probably see my line of reasoning. I believe that skepticism is not a philosophy in itself, and should not be treated this way.  Skepticism is healthy, for sure, but philosophy, science, and the arts are only demonstrative of this attitude.

It is nothing profound or admirable. Actually, I have learned that when it is seen in this light, it is not actually true skepticism.

I became a skeptic, maybe even a true skeptic, when I was twelve years old, and I had the world figured out. I really did, though there was not much to it. I wasn't anything at all but an adept video game player, but I realized the ultimate truth of reality, and as far as philosophies go, it was perfectly valid.

Since then, I have come to the opinion that to be explicitly (that is, in concept) convinced into "being skeptical" is a sheepish quality, just as it is in being convinced to "have faith". While it is easy to see that these qualities are fundamental to the past experience, I am convinced that it makes no sense to be explicitly or deliberately concerned with this. In other words, these preferences should be implied. Alternatively, I like the Buddhist concept of "suchness".

Edited by daytripper23 (07/14/08 05:19 PM)

OfflineBoots
Disenchanted
Male

Loc: Northwood, Ohio, U.S.A.
Re: The 'End of the World' archetype [Re: daytripper23]
    #8635441 - 07/14/08 09:26 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Lemme call Jung and ask him...

Is this really a question that we'll find an answer for,  other than the fear of one's individual death is a microcosmic view of a bigger problem (species extinction).

OfflineBrainChemistry
Captain Obvious
 User Gallery

Re: The 'End of the World' archetype [Re: daytripper23]
    #8635623 - 07/14/08 10:04 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

daytripper23 said:
As technology progresses, we truly are coming closer and closer to the brink. There is no doubting this. All we have to do is for a moment, imagine, and it is given. It is true now that we are on this brink, as it was true 50, a hundred, and thousands of years ago. We are always at the front of any path.

What you say here does have some truth. It is true that for each generation, it appears that we are always at our "peak". Technologies are new, ideas are fresh. The case is the same with each passing generation. But this "brink" you speak of, if you are talking about some kind of groundbreaking, humanity change brink...we have never really been close to that until now. Why? Well think about it. A thousand years ago how could humanity have possibly destroyed itself? We could have fought long lasting wars, and we did...but we didn't have the knowledge or the technology to cause significant long term damage. In the dark ages of the 11th and 12th centuries where the bubonic plague was wiping out vast amounts of populations...even this event did not really threaten our race because, at that point in our history, we were not dense enough, nor mobile enough, to spread the disease to everyone.

It hasn't been until the 20th century that we literally have the means and the capability to change the face of our planet. There is no denying this, its just a fact. And have you watched Dr. Albert Bartlett's video about exponential growth? The population on Earth is increasing at about 1% a year....that equates to roughly a doubling time of 70 years. The population on Earth now is somewhere between 6-7 billion people....so in 70 years it will be 12-14 billion. Its simply not possible to hold that many people on Earth. So that leaves two options.

a) there will be some kind of extinction event
b) we will discover some sort of radical new technology that will allow us to continue to grow and prosper.

Either way, society will have to make some changes to accommodate either of these options. It might not necessarily be an "apocalypse", but it could be the beginning of new "age" for mankind...much like we classify history now into Stone Age, Bronze Age, and Iron Age.

--------------------
Word to your mom.

Invisible7734591202
It's all a fuckin joke.
 User Gallery

#8635856 - 07/14/08 11:23 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

everything comes to an end we all know this there is our birth and our death even the universe wont go on forever. 

If we will one day die not just as individuals but as a species why wouldn't people fantasize about it we are all essentially romantics at heart.

When you were young did you ever imagine your own death?  If so I imagine it was probably somewhat epic in nature, it's only natural.  The same goes for these grandos epic end of time prophecies and the books and movies about the end of the world, they are all so self centered.  It really symbolizes our obsession on ourselves and the fact that we place ourselves on a pedestal not even just as humans but all living organisms. The end of the world will most likely not be epic probably more pathetic and slow than anything (and in the grand scheme of things very trivial just like your life.) and the end of humans will almost definitely not mean the end of life on earth or the end of time:lol:.

--------------------
[quote]Tea said:
Dude how can you say such a thing. Ive literally read exact words about killing Americans within the Koran.......[/quote]
[quote]night_owl said::facepalm:[/quote]

OfflineBrainChemistry
Captain Obvious
 User Gallery

Re: The 'End of the World' archetype [Re: 7734591202]
    #8636209 - 07/15/08 01:57 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

7734591202 said:
The end of the world will most likely not be epic probably more pathetic and slow than anything

Pessimist. Humans are all mighty....we will go out in a blaze of glory...hahahaha.

--------------------
Word to your mom.

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: The 'End of the World' archetype [Re: BrainChemistry]
    #8636431 - 07/15/08 04:47 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BrainChemistry said:
Quote:

daytripper23 said:

What you say here does have some truth. It is true that for each generation, it appears that we are always at our "peak". Technologies are new, ideas are fresh. The case is the same with each passing generation. But this "brink" you speak of, if you are talking about some kind of groundbreaking, humanity change brink...we have never really been close to that until now. Why? Well think about it. A thousand years ago how could humanity have possibly destroyed itself? We could have fought long lasting wars, and we did...but we didn't have the knowledge or the technology to cause significant long term damage. In the dark ages of the 11th and 12th centuries where the bubonic plague was wiping out vast amounts of populations...even this event did not really threaten our race because, at that point in our history, we were not dense enough, nor mobile enough, to spread the disease to everyone.

It hasn't been until the 20th century that we literally have the means and the capability to change the face of our planet. There is no denying this, its just a fact. And have you watched Dr. Albert Bartlett's video about exponential growth? The population on Earth is increasing at about 1% a year....that equates to roughly a doubling time of 70 years. The population on Earth now is somewhere between 6-7 billion people....so in 70 years it will be 12-14 billion. Its simply not possible to hold that many people on Earth. So that leaves two options.

a) there will be some kind of extinction event
b) we will discover some sort of radical new technology that will allow us to continue to grow and prosper.

Either way, society will have to make some changes to accommodate either of these options. It might not necessarily be an "apocalypse", but it could be the beginning of new "age" for mankind...much like we classify history now into Stone Age, Bronze Age, and Iron Age.

Yeah, I agree BrainChemistry, it seems pretty literal these days.

InvisibleChronic7

#8636494 - 07/15/08 05:26 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BrainChemistry said:

Hindu sages have talked about this (yugas/ages) and that we are now entering the golden age, the age of light, also referred to as the age of aquarius. All new ages begin with destruction of the previous

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: The 'End of the World' archetype [Re: Chronic7]
    #8636832 - 07/15/08 08:17 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Its due to one simple truth, because it is inevitable.

These kinds of statements are never true IMO. Many of the factors mentioned about can be factors in end of the world dreams.

You sure do feel you are the one who knows around here.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #8636865 - 07/15/08 08:30 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I believe people want to believe this because an apocalyptic or great event (not necessarily catastrophic) which usher in great changes around the world.

Many people are stuck in a rut and wish to change their life, regardless of what it is changed to, but do not have the courage or strength to change it themselves. That is why people are often seen clamoring for external change (2012, for instance). It's so they can be part of a great world event that changes their lives without actually doing anything themselves.

That and people are just obsessed with death. That's certainly the easiest explanation.

Just my .02.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: The 'End of the World' archetype [Re: Redstorm]
    #8636901 - 07/15/08 08:43 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

This has been true for me.:thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: The 'End of the World' archetype [Re: Icelander]
    #8637728 - 07/15/08 12:56 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the replies, everyone.  Gave me much to think about.

OfflineMr.Al
Alphabet soup
Male

Loc: N.S.A. D.C.
    #8637774 - 07/15/08 01:03 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

It could be that past experiences of nasty worldwide events have left some imprint upon our "collective unconscious".  It does appear to be an archetypal image.  It doesn't mean anything messed up has to happen.  It could be installations like H.A.A.R.P. create disasters so as to make people things horrible prophecy is coming true?  Gov't using religious prophecy for sociological manipulation?  Personally I think that holding apocalyptic images inside our heads can't be a good thing.

Offlinebackfromthedead
Activated

Re: The 'End of the World' archetype [Re: Mr.Al]
    #8637816 - 07/15/08 01:12 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Personally I think that holding apocalyptic images inside our heads can't be a good thing.

Looking the other way as it happens because a large percentage are waiting for a NEW heaven and Earth...??  Science says WTF...??  Oh and somehow we are United.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #8639139 - 07/15/08 06:04 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Hi Moth -
I read this book last March because I too feel the activity of the archetype of the end of the world:

Editor's Preface

"This book will challenge the reader to accept a disturbing premise: namely, that the world as we know it is coming to an end in the very near future."

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: The 'End of the World' archetype [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #8641443 - 07/16/08 06:50 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks, Markos.  I was hoping you would respond to this thread.  :heart:

OfflineSacrebleu
Cheap Ad SpaceHere
Female

Loc: Sydney, Australia
    #8642620 - 07/16/08 01:24 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

You may well ask why there is a fantasy about a beginning. Then you know a beginning must have an end. Plants die. Animals die. Humans die. Even the sun will die some day. Armageddon is really 'common sense' to many people.

--------------------
I have no funny saying. I have no quote. I have no ASCII art. I have no video. I have no meme. I have no bolded or italicized font.

My signature sucks.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale