Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinetimmeh_87
Scientist
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: Laptop advice [Re: MHbound]
    #8639617 - 07/15/08 08:04 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Did you listen to anyone?

Not trying to sound mean, but Dell is well known for making crappy computers, theres several people in here (including me) telling you not to get one, and you chose a graphics card that has a serious known issue that will cause it to eventually break.

Ill link you again
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/09/nvidia-g84-g86-bad

That card you chose is a G86m.

Here is another article that spells it out more clearly

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/07/07/nvidia-warns-of-high-failure-rates/1

Please read this before you screw yourself over. All nvidia cards from this generation are starting to go xbox 360 on people.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Laptop advice [Re: timmeh_87]
    #8639847 - 07/15/08 08:48 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

yep, my Nvidia graphics card (not that one but still) fried twice, among my other problems with my dell, including the whole class action lawsuit thing....

Terrible heat problems, graphics card died, thermal shutdown on CPU, case designed so the architecture of the actual plastic frame had a "foot" plastic support thing that rested a portion of the laptops weight upon about 5 solder joints of a chip on the mainboard. ( I presume it was a generic case and was supposed to be on a "blank" part of the board but instead right on a critical portion of the board which caused failure)

Of the maybe six times I'd sent my laptop back to dell (before the warranty expired the first time, this doesn't count isn't the total times I sent it back- lawsuit was still pending then) to get it fixed, that was about 3 of em (all or part, it failed in stages with the computer just shutting off while the solder joints or whatever they are called came and went).  Eventually the weight of the laptop would simply break completely some of the solder points and the chip, and thus the whole laptop and the 550$ mainboard, would be toast.

Gotta love Dell engineering, if its not heat killing your graphics card its the case resting a quarter of the laptop's weight or so on a few solder points of the motherboard.

Dell  :love:

(and I'm ignoring the terrible problems with the power jack failing constantly- for which Dell will charge you full price for a mother board despite the part being a 1.00 part that just needs resoldered)

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Loc: athens Flag
    #8640161 - 07/15/08 09:58 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

ok then that's out. i don't want a lenovo so i guess that leaves me with HP. hm..

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: Laptop advice [Re: JT]
    #8640540 - 07/15/08 11:50 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Don't listen about the DELL computers. The cheap ones, as with any other, are going to have their run of problems. However, the high end computers they make are very good. Mine hasn't had any problems except for when I said the problems with Vista and so on. I wouldn't rule them out. Now if you really want to go high end. Get an alien ware =]

--------------------

OnlineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
    #8640648 - 07/16/08 12:33 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I've had my Dell laptop for almost 5 years now, it's never needed service. Then again I'm careful not to abuse it. But as they say, the plural of "anecdote" isn't "data". :wink: I'd be more concerned about the G86 GPU, nVidia is currently having serious problem with some of their products including this one specifically, and you don't want to get a defective part. If you can wait until that's all sorted out though, personally I still think the 1330 would be a good choice. :shrug:

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Re: Laptop advice [Re: Ythan]
    #8640916 - 07/16/08 02:27 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yea. Dell is highly customizable, and I'm pretty sure there are other cards that you can get in place of them. My Nvidia I got 1 year ago has been the only problem I have had yet. The 1330 if I'm thinking clearly is a nice computer. Not too expensive, and will do its thing. The XPS are nice, but a bit more expensive. Not completely sure about their weight, but they are heavy duty so I would imagine they are slightly more heavy.

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8643783 - 07/16/08 05:17 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MHbound said:
Don't listen about the DELL computers. The cheap ones, as with any other, are going to have their run of problems. However, the high end computers they make are very good. Mine hasn't had any problems except for when I said the problems with Vista and so on. I wouldn't rule them out. Now if you really want to go high end. Get an alien ware =]

What is the "cheap" ones?

Mine was 1200$ and had more than its share of problems.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Laptop advice [Re: Ythan]
    #8643959 - 07/16/08 05:57 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

> Yeah I've had my Dell laptop for almost 5 years now

That is the key.  A few years ago (3+) Dell was making really good laptops.  They are putting out complete crap today, regardless of price range.  Toshiba is in the same boat.  They used to make fantastic laptops, but lately, I am seeing a lot of problems with them as well.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Re: Laptop advice [Re: Seuss]
    #8644429 - 07/16/08 08:24 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Dell's get very very very expensive...WAY overpriced. Its a crapshoot with most computers. You either get a good one or not. What makes a good one from a bad one?? I haven't figured it out, and if you do you'll be a millionaire overnight.

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8645621 - 07/17/08 02:32 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I've figured it out:

Don't place the support structure of the plastic case upon half of the solderpoints of a chip on the motherboard and expect that chip, andthe motherboard to function for long.

And...

Don't manufacture a power input thingy soldered to the motherboard that fails in 3 months, in some cases, from normal use.

Finally....

Don't place components in a laptop that cannot be used due to the heat they produce and the poor design of the laptop...

i.e. don't place the air input vent on the bottom of the laptop such that it has maybe 1 mm clearance with the surface its resting on

All these things and more were wrong with my Dell laptop.  And I wouldn't think 1200 to be cheap.  I don't want miracles, I just want the advertised components to function.

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Re: Laptop advice [Re: johnm214]
    #8645810 - 07/17/08 05:57 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'm dealing with this right now. My laptop gets so hot it will literally burn you. No telling what its doing to the inside. My video card/processor etc overheat all the time. Its starting to make me mad, and I'm about to build one of Ben Hekks PS3 laptops that he built. If anyone want the link I'll link you. It looks like a tough project, but worth it.

--------------------

Offlinetimmeh_87
Scientist
Male

#8646570 - 07/17/08 11:19 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Lol, Im from benheck.com (same username). The ps3 laptop is a project for someone who knows a lot about whats going on. You are much better off with something like a Nintendo 64, or even a wii if you are serious about an electronics project (Im assuming here it would be your first major one)

Anyways. I know what you guys mean about hot laptops, Ive seen it many times before, in Dells especially. A lot people dont understand the concept of "laptop" and try to buy something with the current "top of the line" parts and stuff. The problem is that its a laptop. Its not something you do 3D rendering on. It has a ridiculously small heatsink. Just because a company will sell you a Pentium 4 Prescott processor in laptop dosent mean its a good idea. Those things have like 150W TDP, not only does it heat up like an electric stove, but the battery lasts 23 minutes.

These corporations have no shame and will sell you whatever you are willing to buy. Its up to the consumer to realize whats going on and make sure they do not buy a lemon.

I have owned and operated several laptops over the last 4 years, allow me to make up a list of criteria off the top of my head:

Weight: less than 8 pounds
Screen: 15" or less
Processor: 70W TDP or less. preferably less than 30. (celeron, core duo, amd)
RAM: no more than you need. If you have XP, no more than 2GB
Hard drive: 5400 RPM.
Video card: Intel GMA ones are starting to get a lot better. NO NVIDIA (see previous post). Just generally try to avoid something that sounds pretty powerful.
Brand: Thinkpad (haha jk)

Look for mature technology, and look for parts that are specifically "mobile". I hate manufacturers who put desktop parts in laptops. People wonder why their battery only lasts an hour.

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8646619 - 07/17/08 11:31 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yea the project is not easy, and very tedious work. If you have the time I think it would be worth it to build one of his PS3 laptops, or his XBOX360 one for that matter.

--------------------

Offlinetimmeh_87
Scientist
Male

#8646664 - 07/17/08 11:47 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Do you realize that neither the 360 or the ps3 has a battery? They are not true "laptops", more just like a console/screen/keyboard hybrid. You still need to plug it in.

A lot of people break their first system, its highly recommended you start on something that costs less than $200 to replace.

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8647103 - 07/17/08 01:42 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Very aware of it. As I said above this isn't an easy project. Adding a battery would add to the struggle. Is it impossible? No. Is it hard? Yes.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #8647152 - 07/17/08 01:54 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

> Adding a battery would add to the struggle.

Just tape a UPS to the thing.  Easy.  :grin:

(I remember seeing that site a while back and being very impressed.  Difficult and amazing!)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8647185 - 07/17/08 02:01 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Haha. I was going to post it, and then I thought about it...Thats another 15 pounds to an already 18 pound laptop. I would do it, and you could plug it in just like any other battery charger.

--------------------

OfflineRuNE
bomberman

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: tartarus
    #8647938 - 07/17/08 04:40 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I see a lot of "don't get these laptops! They're shit!" examples, but no "Get this instead" examples.

So then. What's a good brand (currently)?

--------------------
~Happy sailing~

Offlinetimmeh_87
Scientist
Male

Re: Laptop advice [Re: RuNE]
    #8648160 - 07/17/08 05:53 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Thinkapds. They make them for business people and others who dont take bullshit.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #8648182 - 07/17/08 06:02 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> Yeah I've had my Dell laptop for almost 5 years now

That is the key.  A few years ago (3+) Dell was making really good laptops.  They are putting out complete crap today, regardless of price range.  Toshiba is in the same boat.  They used to make fantastic laptops, but lately, I am seeing a lot of problems with them as well.

Really? I don't know.. I have a Toshiba X-205 SLi2. It's solid as a rock. Granted.. I've only had it for a little less then a year now.. but I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. (Aside from finding drivers when I tried to ditch Vista and install XP).

Then again.. it is a gaming laptop. Between the 17" widescreen monitor, the dual video cards in SLi and the 4 speakers and a little subwoofer.. the thing sucks down power like a beast. I pretty much keep it plugged in all the time when I'm using it.. the battery will last like an hour and a half TOPS.. if I am playing music on it or something. I wouldn't really use it much for travel. But it's a pretty badass little machine for the price. I did quite a bit of research before getting it and it basically had the best reviews and the most power of any laptop I looked at in the 2k price range.

The biggest downside is that it runs HOT while gaming. It has like 5 fans in it, but there's no way to control the speed. A cooling pad is pretty much mandatory..
Oh and it's pretty heavy.. but you'd expect that with a widescreen and dual video cards..
But I don't carry it around too much. The thing is a beast and I love it :laugh:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale