Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMikeLib
E-tester

Loc: California, Bay Area
Shrooms and your Brain
    #8626739 - 07/12/08 07:31 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

so im interested to know what excatly mushrooms do to your brain. iv done shrooms a few times, maybe 10 but i hear about ppl trippin 3 times a week for 2 months, damn thats gotta do some damage.

--------------------
"did you exchange
A walk on part in the war,
For a lead role in a cage?"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemutablemass
Stranger
Male

Re: Shrooms and your Brain [Re: MikeLib]
    #8626752 - 07/12/08 07:35 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I don't understand how people can do that. Doesn't leave much time to reflect on your trip. I also dont see how they have access to that much... Oh how I hate this town.

--------------------
-----------------------------------
Mutable One

OfflineMikeLib
E-tester

Loc: California, Bay Area
Re: Shrooms and your Brain [Re: mutablemass]
    #8626764 - 07/12/08 07:38 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i dont see how u can maintain that and not go insaine, id lose my mind somewhere in the shroom world if i did all that

--------------------
"did you exchange
A walk on part in the war,
For a lead role in a cage?"

Offlineporcupine
Stranger
Male
Loc: MI
    #8626826 - 07/12/08 07:59 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i've wondered about what that does too.

for people who trip ridiculous amounts, what changes have you noticed in your mind, perception and thought processes?

InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
Re: Shrooms and your Brain [Re: porcupine]
    #8626841 - 07/12/08 08:04 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think it does "damage" per se. Anybody who would want to trip that much is kinda weird in the first place, and the shrooms will make them more so.

I don't think modern language or science has the vocabulary to adequately describe exactly what it is psychedelics do to the brain, but once you've tripped a good number of times you start to get a pretty clear picture.

--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.

Offlineyageman
already dead
 User Gallery

Re: Shrooms and your Brain [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #8626871 - 07/12/08 08:14 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

only your "soul" and all its little friends know how it really works.

You know, in the world of no words, where only meaning and divine structure is present.
====divine-logos-then language.

A place you can touch on over a period of hours, or even become completely enveloped by for a short time.

As for the simple sciency stuff, you can read about "all we know about how psychedelic drugs effect the mind" online.

I have my theories about different aspects, but little time left to use this computer.

have fun exploring the weirdnessesses of nature.

Some people will know what im talking about, some will not.

Say hello to the metatron for me.

--------------------
[quote]Me_Roy said:
You moron. Material is material is material.  No 'thing' fixes any situation.  If anything were so simple we would be living in a much better world.[/quote] <-----the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.
Thanks shroomery.

OfflinePlasmid
Absent
Male
    #8626945 - 07/12/08 08:37 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

My understanding was that if one does serotoninergic hallucinogens (such as LSD, mescaline, psilocin) without leaving around 72 hours between dose that tolerance will build, though I was able to dose LSD about once every 84 hours without noticing tolerance.

There is no substantial evidence that I am aware of that psilocin (from magic mushrooms) or LSD cause any sort of brain damage or neurotoxic effects.  Why do you say that's "gotta do some damage?"  That's a conclusion you're coming to based on assumptions about these drugs which simply are not correct.  Do you think that simply because these drugs alter your perception that they must be damaging neurons?  How can you justify that assumption?  Why is it that so many people assume that this is just "common sense?"

I don't know that many people who have done a lot of hallucinogens, but I do know some and I can't see any clear evidence that psychedelics have done any damage to their minds. 

What exactly do mushrooms do to your brain?  So, the active ingredient is called psilocin.  Mushrooms also contain psilocybin but it is rapidly converted to psilocin.  Psilocin is thought to mediate its hallucinogenic effects by acting as an agonist at 5HT2A receptors (a subtype of serotonin receptor).

Repeated administration of these hallucinogens will result in 5HT2A downregulation.  This means that the density of these particular neuroreceptors on the cell surface will decrease, hence making the cell less sensitive to agonism.  The 5HT2A receptors show a paradoxical effect whereby the are also downregulated after repeated antagonist exposure (Gray and Roth, 2001).

I don't particularly understand the neurobiology involved.  For me, a cell is about the biggest thing that I am capable of reading without putting extra effort into it, so what agonism at a certain receptor at certain neuronal centers in the brain means is more or less a mystery to me.

An excellent review by Nichols (2004) goes over everything with many references included.

References

Gray, JA. and Roth, BL.  Paradoxical trafficking and regulation of 5-HT2A receptors by agonists and antagonists.  Brain Research Bulletin.  56, pp. 441 - 451.  (2001)

Nichols, DE.  Hallucinogens.  Pharmacology & Therapeutics.  101, pp. 131 - 181.  (2004)

--------------------
Absent.

Offlinesandman_130
Neo-Classical Spiritualist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Shrooms and your Brain [Re: Plasmid]
    #8626980 - 07/12/08 08:49 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Plasmid said:
My understanding was that if one does serotoninergic hallucinogens (such as LSD, mescaline, psilocin) without leaving around 72 hours between dose that tolerance will build, though I was able to dose LSD about once every 84 hours without noticing tolerance.

There is no substantial evidence that I am aware of that psilocin (from magic mushrooms) or LSD cause any sort of brain damage or neurotoxic effects.  Why do you say that's "gotta do some damage?"  That's a conclusion you're coming to based on assumptions about these drugs which simply are not correct.  Do you think that simply because these drugs alter your perception that they must be damaging neurons?  How can you justify that assumption?  Why is it that so many people assume that this is just "common sense?"

I don't know that many people who have done a lot of hallucinogens, but I do know some and I can't see any clear evidence that psychedelics have done any damage to their minds. 

What exactly do mushrooms do to your brain?  So, the active ingredient is called psilocin.  Mushrooms also contain psilocybin but it is rapidly converted to psilocin.  Psilocin is thought to mediate its hallucinogenic effects by acting as an agonist at 5HT2A receptors (a subtype of serotonin receptor).

Repeated administration of these hallucinogens will result in 5HT2A downregulation.  This means that the density of these particular neuroreceptors on the cell surface will decrease, hence making the cell less sensitive to agonism.  The 5HT2A receptors show a paradoxical effect whereby the are also downregulated after repeated antagonist exposure (Gray and Roth, 2001).

I don't particularly understand the neurobiology involved.  For me, a cell is about the biggest thing that I am capable of reading without putting extra effort into it, so what agonism at a certain receptor at certain neuronal centers in the brain means is more or less a mystery to me.

An excellent review by Nichols (2004) goes over everything with many references included.

References

Gray, JA. and Roth, BL.  Paradoxical trafficking and regulation of 5-HT2A receptors by agonists and antagonists.  Brain Research Bulletin.  56, pp. 441 - 451.  (2001)

Nichols, DE.  Hallucinogens.  Pharmacology & Therapeutics.  101, pp. 131 - 181.  (2004)

damn straight! :thumbup:

--------------------
:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand.":mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

:sunny::mushroom2:Maria Sabina:mushroom2::sunny:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order